Like Tree1201Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th November 2015, 08:09 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Anyone got the Alain Robbe-Grillet box set? If so, do you recommend it?

It's been trying to lure me for a while.
Definitely - although I guess it will depend on whether you enjoy Robbe-Grillet's style. It was my number one favourite release of last year and was up against some heavy competition. I have the Blu-ray set and the films look and sound excellent.
Old 14th November 2015, 04:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Film wise it's excellent. I only have the dvd version but even they look stunning.
The DVDs probably look better as unfortunately the Blu-rays are noisy and it's really distracting. David M tried to filter it out a bit but it's still there.
Old 14th November 2015, 04:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
The DVDs probably look better as unfortunately the Blu-rays are noisy and it's really distracting. David M tried to filter it out a bit but it's still there.
Really! That's interesting to know.
Old 14th November 2015, 07:03 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Really! That's interesting to know.
I didn't notice any noise on these myself although I guess it depends on your set-up.
Old 15th November 2015, 12:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I didn't notice any noise on these myself although I guess it depends on your set-up.
Do you usually notice noise? It's not my setup, I'm just very sensitive to unnatural picture issues. I don't mind stuff like natural print damage, but digital problems, inaccurate colours, etc really bother me.
Old 15th November 2015, 08:50 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Do you usually notice noise? It's not my setup, I'm just very sensitive to unnatural picture issues. I don't mind stuff like natural print damage, but digital problems, inaccurate colours, etc really bother me.
I noticed the noise in Arrow's first Tenebrae release straight away as it was very distracting, however aside from that I can't recall noticing any excessive (and by excessive I mean to the extent where it takes me out of the film due to being so distracting) noise in any other Blu release I've seen so far - I have quite a backlog of titles to get through though.
Old 15th November 2015, 09:36 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I noticed the noise in Arrow's first Tenebrae release straight away as it was very distracting, however aside from that I can't recall noticing any excessive (and by excessive I mean to the extent where it takes me out of the film due to being so distracting) noise in any other Blu release I've seen so far - I have quite a backlog of titles to get through though.
I hadn't seen that when it came out and caught up with it when QCing their new version (so I had to do an A-B comparison) and was really startled by how horrendous it looked. And even more startled to come across online posts defending it on the grounds that it was "natural film grain" - on which planet?

Ironically, if the original version had been scheduled only a few months later, that master would have been rejected under the James White technical regime, just as the existing masters for Milano Calibro 9 and Nightmare City were turned down. (The other long-delayed release, The Honeymoon Killers, was in better shape, but when we heard that Criterion was doing a 4K original-neg restoration we decided that it would make sense to wait.)
Old 15th November 2015, 02:31 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The second release of TENEBRAE looks very, very nice.

I've not seen CALIBRE 9 yet - is it significantly better than the Raro release? It's a favourite, seen it more times than I care to remember but haven't watched it in a couple of years - the point when I picked up the Raro BD.
Old 9th January 2016, 02:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Can anyone recommend this forthcoming release?

g053584398 likes this.
Old 13th January 2016, 08:51 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Whilst not technically BFI, I thought I'd stick this here. An article on the BFI site in relation to various critics/contributors to Sight and Sound magazine's favourite releases of 2015.

The best DVDs and Blu-rays of 2015 | Sight & Sound | BFI

Like this? Share it using the links below!