Like Tree1183Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2022, 05:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
According to the original story it's a mix of horror, occult and fairy tale and dark mystery.
It kind of fits those categories.

I have the US dvd from Olive Films. I very much doubt i'll be upgrading it. It's a PG rated movie to start with. No horror, no exploitation and zero scares.
Old 4th August 2022, 06:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

I was holding off buying Ghost Stories... on DVD as I never quite believed BFI's excuse of adequate 16mm prints not being available.

My patience has been rewarded and absolute day one purchase
Old 4th August 2022, 06:42 PM
Cult Veteran

Seems a bit naughty that they're splitting it up over two (or maybe three) box sets, but who am I kidding I'll be buying it right away. Especially since this one has Lost Hearts on and that's my favourite one.
Mojo and nosferatu42 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 4th August 2022, 06:42 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
New Flipside too :

Attachment 241520
Full details:

'The Ballad of Tam Lin' (1971) - Blu-ray pre-order available from BFI direct - £14:99

Release date: October 10

"The 45th release in the BFI Flipside series of rediscovered British cinema, The Ballad of Tam Lin was the first and only film directed by the Hollywood actor Roddy McDowall (best known, perhaps, for The Planet of the Apes).

Loosely based on the traditional Scottish folk ballad, this 1971 rarity stars silver screen icon Ava Gardner (The Killers) as a mysterious and wealthy older woman who uses witchcraft to exercise control over a group of younger hippies and thrill-seekers (played by a sensational cast including Ian McShane (Deadwood), Joanna Lumley (Absolutely Fabulous) and Bruce Robinson (Withnail And I). Features music is by folk-rock legends Pentangle, and spectacular cinematography by Academy Award-winner Billy Williams (Women in Love, Gandhi).

Part folk-horror and part Blow-Up style Swinging-60s critique, this unique cult film is being made available for the first time on Blu-ray in the UK.

BFI Flipside is dedicated to rediscovering the margins of British film, reclaiming a space for forgotten movies and filmmakers who would otherwise be in danger of disappearing from our screens forever. It is a home for UK cinematic oddities, offering everything from exploitation documentaries to B-movies, countercultural curios and obscure classics, If it's weird, British and forgotten, then it's Flipside
"

Special features:
  • Presented in High Definition
  • Interview with Roddy McDowall (1998, 17 mins)
  • Interview with Jacqui McShee (2022): newly recorded interview with the lead singer of British folk-jazz band Pentangle
  • **FIRST PRESSING ONLY** Illustrated booklet with new writing on the film by William Fowler

Other extras TBC
Demoncrat likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th August 2022, 07:27 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Seems a bit naughty that they're splitting it up over two (or maybe three) box sets, but who am I kidding I'll be buying it right away. Especially since this one has Lost Hearts on and that's my favourite one.
A WARNING TO THE CURIOUS and THE SIGNALMAN in HD?

Gimme it!

Just a pity we're not getting both volumes for Xmas.

I'll need to hold on to my dvd set just a little longer......
Justin101 likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 4th August 2022, 07:51 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
That's what I'm not keen on. This could easily be a single set.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 4th August 2022, 08:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Maybe they've had some extra outlay with new HD masters and the like? Possibly clean up too?
Old 4th August 2022, 08:46 PM
Cult Veteran

I'm sure there is more reason that 'we can milk another £30 out of everyone' but it's an annoyance to have only 4 episodes this time around, but I've got the DVDs like most here so it's not a huge deal to wait until next year for part 2!

I'm wondering if they'll collect all of the Gatiss ones for a part 3.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 4th August 2022, 09:04 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I remember watching Lost Hearts as a kid and it scaring the crap out of me!
Watching it again many years later, I still think it’s one of the creepiest they’ve ever done.
Old 4th August 2022, 09:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I remember watching Lost Hearts as a kid and it scaring the crap out of me!
Watching it again many years later, I still think it’s one of the creepiest they’ve ever done.
That bloody Hurdy Gurdy!

Like this? Share it using the links below!