Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   Tartan Asia Extreme (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/9595-tartan-asia-extreme.html)

Bringer Of Funerals 29th September 2012 11:16 AM

Tartan Asia Extreme

Ive just started collecting these I have 4 upto now

Ab-Normal Beauty
Agitator
Acacia
Audition (Collector's Edition)

So I was wondering what do you think of this label and do they deserve the rep they got for producing decent horror and action or do you think they were a shit company :popcorn:

Nordicdusk 29th September 2012 11:21 AM

I love the label they have some fantastic titles been trying to collect them myself.

You gonna review a few on your channel.

Bringer Of Funerals 29th September 2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 276937)
I love the label they have some fantastic titles been trying to collect them myself.

You gonna review a few on your channel.

Yeah I will, i'll wait until I have a sizable collection

Nordicdusk 29th September 2012 11:29 AM

I own 16 of their films so far.

Bringer Of Funerals 29th September 2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 276940)
I own 16 of their films so far.

Do you collect Tartan Video or just Asia Extreme

Nordicdusk 29th September 2012 11:41 AM

Asia Extreme

WinterMillennium 29th September 2012 11:47 AM

I have tons of Asia Extreme, mainly from picking up Miike stuff... I just happened to be in Entertainment Exchange when someone dropped a load of them off :woot:

only complaint I've ever had is that incorrect subtitles completely change the ending of Shinjuku Triad Society, and a lack of subtitles leave most of the Chinese dialect in Ley Lines untranslated... actually those are pretty major flaws if you think about it :lol:

but hey, it's good to get these kinds of titles released here

Bringer Of Funerals 29th September 2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinterMillennium (Post 276947)
I have tons of Asia Extreme, mainly from picking up Miike stuff... I just happened to be in Entertainment Exchange when someone dropped a load of them off :woot:

Did you say i'll buy the lot?. I suppose me buying them now means I wont have to wait an age for a new release because they've released them all by now

WinterMillennium 29th September 2012 11:54 AM

hell yes I did!

Nordicdusk 29th September 2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinterMillennium (Post 276947)

only complaint I've ever had is that incorrect subtitles completely change the ending of Shinjuku Triad Society, and a lack of subtitles leave most of the Chinese dialect in Ley Lines untranslated... actually those are pretty major flaws if you think about it :lol:

You lucky git :tongue1: Talk about right time right place.

ArgentoFan1987 29th September 2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 276934)
Ive just started collecting these I have 4 upto now

Ab-Normal Beauty
Agitator
Acacia
Audition (Collector's Edition)

So I was wondering what do you think of this label and do they deserve the rep they got for producing decent horror and action or do you think they were a shit company :popcorn:

I used to have the Audition (collectors edition ) unfortunately I loaned t it to a neighbour who moved house not long after :(
I also have (22) Acacia (Avenue) :D a film I've always been meaning to watch l, but for some reason haven't.

gag 29th September 2012 06:13 PM

I have quite a few Tartan films,
Asian, extreme etc,

SShaw 29th September 2012 08:58 PM

Before I moved house I had every film released by Tartan on DVD and Blu-Ray up to the point that they went bust, probably more than 400. Their catalogue was amazing even if the quality of some of their releases left something to be desired.

Edgeworth 29th September 2012 10:39 PM

I always pick up TAE titles when I see 'em nowadays. I have all the Miike and Kim Ki Duk stuff. Only special editions I have are Infection (slip case) and some slim version of Audition.

Did they go bust? I thought it was more of a re-branding.

SShaw 29th September 2012 10:52 PM

The original company run by Hamish Mcalpine went bust (http://www.screendaily.com/tartan-fi...039611.article). I think this was largely due to his unsuccessful attempt to produce his own films - a trilogy of serial killer films. The list was broken up. The majority of the Asian titles went to a US based company (Palisiade?) along with the company name and they relaunched the label a couple of years ago. I haven't been following closely since but I don't remember seeing any new titles, just re-releases of the back catalogue.

Bringer Of Funerals 30th September 2012 10:40 AM

I watched Ring and what pissed me off with that release was the subtitles - they put white subs on a white background, at least but a black boarder round them.

Tartan has released the majority of these

top 25 best asian horror movies ever !!! - YouTube

andgomorra 24th May 2013 01:04 PM

So Asia extreme is no more? It's now palisades?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nordicdusk 24th January 2015 11:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 154830

Nordicdusk 24th January 2015 11:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 154831

Nordicdusk 24th January 2015 11:51 PM

I could only post one pictures at a time using my phone. Thats what Asia Extreme i have so far i pick them up when ever i see them. Its a slow process but i get a thrill when i find one out in the wild.

Nordicdusk 30th December 2015 05:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Small update

Attachment 173732 Attachment 173733 Attachment 173734 Attachment 173735 Attachment 173736

A few Tartan DVD also pictured. I have about ten more of the films on the Asia Extreme list but not from the Tartan label (if that makes any sense) that i have to pick up.

Nordicdusk 25th August 2016 09:25 PM

Maybe i was dreaming but was someone going to start releasing these on Blu Ray some time ago.

Drakie79 29th August 2016 01:40 AM

I was thinking, or perhaps hoping, that someone would bring these out. I remember that golden age when they were throwning out Miike films and new and original Korean films like Sympathy for Mr.Vengeance ....sadly its gone.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 29th August 2016 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 502816)
Maybe i was dreaming but was someone going to start releasing these on Blu Ray some time ago.

Arrow have started chipping away at the catalogue with Audition and Happiness of the Katakuris having already been released, Dark Water upcoming and Miike's Dead or Alive heavily rumoured.

Kino in the US were also supposed to be releasing some of these but nothing has come of it yet... perhaps the deal fell through - especially with Arrow's titles being predominantly dual territory so far.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th August 2016 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 503116)
Arrow have started chipping away at the catalogue with Audition and Happiness of the Katakuris having already been released, Dark Water upcoming and Miike's Dead or Alive heavily rumoured.

Kino in the US were also supposed to be releasing some of these but nothing has come of it yet... perhaps the deal fell through - especially with Arrow's titles being predominantly dual territory so far.

Like Drakie mentioned i also feel the Asian cinema boom has now totally gone at least in the UK.

Long gone are the days when i used to buy loads from YesAsia. I can't remember the last Korean film i even bought. The whole genre holds very little interest to me now.

Obviously if someone raves over one of these new 88 releases it might pique my interest but it's doubtful as i doubt anyone will bother to review them. A **** / 5 score does not count as a review. ;)

gag 29th August 2016 02:18 PM

Ive got quite a lot of Tartan films,
And as for reviews i always leave somerhing even if its just a few words.

Drakie79 29th August 2016 03:30 PM

I remember when CDWow was at its peak and Sensasian (think thta was the name) was open. I bought so many fantastic boxsets from them.

Nordicdusk 29th August 2016 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 503116)

Come on Arrow give us a Blu Ray of Gozu and Visitor Q.

sjconstable 30th August 2016 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 503162)
Come on Arrow give us a Blu Ray of Gozu and Visitor Q.

Wasn't Visitor Q shot in SD?

Drakie79 30th August 2016 03:53 AM

Dead Or Alive needs a trilogy boxset. Gozu I really want. Then again being an avid fan of his I want them all even though I have everything (apart from three hard to get titles) by him.

gag 10th March 2018 11:36 AM

Is there a complete list of all tartan and now palisades titles available anywhere .
Doesn't matter whether its Asia \ extreme etc just wouldn't mind a full complete list of all titles released under Tartan and Palisades

Every time I see a Tartan film I haven't got I pick it up I have over 100 not sure how many tho .