Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1378Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st September 2022, 06:24 PM
Cult Master

'Buried Alive' (1989) - Blu-ray available from Vinegar Syndrome direct - $29.99

"From acclaimed director and editor Gérard Kikoïne (Edge of Sanity, Entrechattes) comes Buried Alive, a macabre contemporary reimagining of Edgar Allan Poe's classic tale, The Black Cat. Starring Robert Vaughn (Good Luck, Miss Wyckoff), Donald Pleasence (Halloween), horror film legend John Carradine (The Boogey Man), erotic and cult film superstar Ginger Allen (Trashy Lady), and featuring arresting visuals from Kikoïne's regular cinematographer, Gérard Loubeau (Love Circles), Vinegar Syndrome is excited to debut this under-seen piece of French/South African slasher cinema on Blu-ray, newly restored in 2K and featuring an array of interviews with its cast."

Special features and specs:
  • Region A Blu-ray
  • Newly scanned & restored in 2K from its 35mm interpositive
  • "Ginger's Antics" (13 min) - an interview with actress Ginger Lynn Allen
  • "Well, I Wanna Be An Actor" (19 min) - an interview with actor William Butler
  • Reversible cover artwork
  • English SDH subtitles
  • 91 min
  • 1.85:1
  • English Mono

MacBlayne and Demoncrat like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 1st September 2022, 06:27 PM
Cult Master

'Mutant Hunt' (1987) - Blu-ray available from Vinegar Syndrome direct - $29.99

"In the near future of 1992, robots have become a facet of everyday life. Dr. Z, the diabolical head of one of the country's top robotics firms, has developed a solution named "Euphoron" which, when injected into his cyborgs, transforms them from man's servant into impossibly strong and powerful killing machines in an attempt by Dr. Z to take absolute power. Realizing the implications of Z's actions, chief robotics engineer Paul Haynes attempts to stop the robot takeover, only to be kidnapped along with his sister, Darla. After achieving a dangerous escape, Darla then enlists the help of tough-as-grit bounty hunter Matt Riker and the two begin a quest to destroy the murderous machines.

The first in a series of bonkers direct-to-video genre films directed by Tim Kincaid (Breeders, Robot Holocaust) for producer Charles Band's Empire Pictures, Mutant Hunt is set in a grimy, neo-apocalypse vision of New York City where robots, mutants, and oppressive government control clash with new wave fashion and sci-fi infused action. Starring Rick Gianasi (Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.), Ron Reynaldi (Spike of Bensonhurst), and Adriane Lee (Slammer Girls), Vinegar Syndrome brings this classic slice of 80s video store weirdness to Blu-ray, newly restored in 4K from its 35mm original camera negative."

• Region A Blu-ray
  • Newly scanned & restored in 4K from its 35mm original camera negative
  • Commentary track with Film Historian Elizabeth Purchell
  • "Mutant Maker" (18 min) - an interview with special makeup effects artist Ed French
  • "If You Want Me To Box With A Kangaroo..." (56 min) - an interview with actor Dr. J. Buzz Von Ornsteiner
  • "Long Arm of the Hunt" (24 min) - an interview with actor Mark Legan
  • English SDH subtitles
  • 77 min
  • 1.33:1
  • English Mono

Old 1st September 2022, 06:31 PM
Cult Master

'The Iceman Cometh' (1989) - 2 disc Blu-ray available from Vinegar Syndrome direct - $29.99

"Fong Sau Ching is the Chief Royal Guard during the Ming Dynasty, whose job is to protect the Emperor at all costs, including with his own life. One day, Ching discovers that one of his men, Fung San, is a sadistic rapist with a penchant for murdering his victims by breaking their limbs. After Fung San attacks the Princess and several other women, Ching is tasked by the Emperor with hunting down and killing him in order to restore his own honor. However, things take an unexpected turn when the two men come face-to-face for a duel to the death, only to become literally frozen in time by a mystical device known as the "Wheel of Life and Death." 300 years later, in modern Hong Kong, Ching and Fung San are accidentally thawed out. Unfamiliar with his surroundings, Ching struggles to adapt to his strange new environment and soon finds himself at the mercy of an obnoxious call girl named Polly while attempting to continue to search for Fung San, but little does he know that Fung San is adapting quite nicely to both the weapons and crime ridden modern world and is beginning to resume his murderous ways.

Featuring an awesome, action-packed final face-off that ranks amongst the most over the top in Hong Kong cinema, Clarence Fok's (The Naked Killer) THE ICEMAN COMETH skillfully combines daring action set pieces with fantasy and horror elements, all wrapped in a comedic "fish out of water" scenario. Packed with memorable and death defying stunt work, including a fight on top of a jeep hanging from a construction crane, and starring Hong Kong action superstar Yeun Biao (Righting Wrongs), legendary stuntman Yeun Wah (Rendezvous With Death) and acclaimed actress Maggie Cheug (In The Mood For Love), Vinegar Syndrome is proud to present this piece of genre defying Hong Kong cinema, complete with sword fights, gunplay, and a healthy dose of dark and mystical elements."

• 2-disc Region A Blu-ray Set
  • Studio supplied master with additional color grading and restoration performed by VS
  • The 115 minute 'Hong Kong Cut' is presented with the following mono soundtrack options: Cantonese original language with newly translated English subtitles and two English dub soundtracks (original and a late-period redub)
  • Alternate 122 minute 'Mandarin Export Cut' is presented with it's original mono soundtrack with newly translated English subtitles
  • Commentary track with film historian & author Samm Deighan
  • “Frame by Frame, Frame by Frame” - a brand new interview with cinematographer Poon Hang Sang
  • “Warrior Prince” - an interview with actor Yuen Biao
  • “Nemesis” - an interview with actor Yuen Wah
  • Hong Kong Trailer
  • English Language Trailer
  • Alternate English title sequence
  • Booklet with essay by film historian and author John Charles
  • Newly translated English subtitles
  • Hong Kong Cut: 115 min
    - 1.85:1
    - Cantonese Mono & 2 English Dub Tracks
  • Mandarin Export Cut: 122 min
    - 1.85:1
    - Mandarin Mono

Old 1st September 2022, 06:35 PM
Cult Master

'The Amityville Horror' (1979) - 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray Set available from Vinegar Syndrome direct - $36.99

"George Lutz, his wife Kathy, and their three children have just moved into a beautiful, and improbably cheap, Victorian mansion nestled in the sleepy coastal town of Amityville, Long Island. However, their dream home is concealing a horrific past and soon each member of the Lutz family is plagued with increasingly strange and violent visions and impulses. Fearing for their sanity, they consult with Father Delaney who realizes a dark supernatural presence has consumed the home and is attempting to propel the Lutz family into becoming its latest victims of unspeakable acts of violence...

One of the most acclaimed and terrifying horror films of the 1970s, director Stuart Rosenberg's (Cool Hand Luke) The Amityville Horror (TM) features powerhouse performances from James Brolin (Westworld), genre film icon Margot Kidder (Superman, Black Christmas), Rod Steiger (In the Heat of the Night), and cult star Don Stroud (Django Unchained). With a chilling screenplay by Sandor Stern, based on Jay Anson's best selling novel, and an unnerving score by Lalo Schifrin (Mission: Impossible), Vinegar Syndrome is proud to present the UHD debut of The Amityville Horror, stunningly restored in 4K from its 35mm original camera negative and featuring a comprehensive selection of new and archival interviews."

• 4K Ultra HD / Region A Blu-ray Set
  • 4K UHD presented in High-Dynamic-Range
  • Newly scanned & restored in 4K from its 35mm original camera negative
  • Presented for the first time on home video in its original unaltered theatrical surround mix with an optional stereo mix
  • "My Amityville Diaries" - a brand new making-of documentary featuring interviews with screenwriter Sandor Stern, actor Meeno Peluce, actor Don Stroud, actor Marc Vahanian and actress Amy Wright
  • "For God's Sake, Get Out!" - an archival making-of documentary featuring interviews with actor James Brolin and actress Margot Kidder
  • "Brolin Thunder" - an interview with actor James Brolin from 2017
  • "Child's Play" - an interview with actor Meeno Peluce from 2017
  • "Amityville Scribe" - an interview with screenwriter Sandor Stern from 2017
  • "The Devil in the Music" - an interview with composer Lalo Schifrin from 2017
  • "Haunted Melodies: A Journey Inside the Music That Makes Horror Come Alive" - an interview with composer Lalo Schifrin from 2013
  • Commentary track by Dr. Hans Holzer, PhD in Parapsychology (Author of ‘Murder in Amityville’)
  • Video introduction by Dr. Hans Holzer
  • Original theatrical trailer
  • Still gallery, TV Spot, Radio Spots
  • English SDH subtitles
  • 118 min
  • 1.85:1
  • English 5.1 Surround

Old 6th September 2022, 04:24 PM
Cult Master

Apparently, Vinegar Syndrome are going to be releasing 'Sworn to Justice' (1996) before the end of the year

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sworn To Justice.jpg (94.0 KB, 60 views)

Old 6th September 2022, 08:53 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Oh no!

Even VS are into the Hong Kong fluey now!

Ach well,only Amityville and BA for me.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 6th September 2022, 08:56 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I think a lot of labels this year have forgotten.....

OCTOBER.........HALLOWEEN.....HORROR.....?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 7th September 2022, 12:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Oh no!

Even VS are into the Hong Kong fluey now!

Ach well,only Amityville and BA for me.
China passed a bill that allows for the destruction of films with "harmful content." Which pretty much means every HK film made before 2010.

A lot of companies are trying to salvage what they can before it's all lost.
Old 7th September 2022, 11:43 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Jesus,that’s a bit extreme!

Explains the recent flurry of chop socky.

Don’t get me wrong,I enjoy kung fu and own quite a few,just didn’t understand why every label were releasing this over horror....

Cheers Mac,that explains it.
MacBlayne likes this.

Old 7th September 2022, 01:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Jesus,that’s a bit extreme!

Explains the recent flurry of chop socky.

Don’t get me wrong,I enjoy kung fu and own quite a few,just didn’t understand why every label were releasing this over horror....

Cheers Mac,that explains it.
Yeah, I'm a bit worried for Hard Boiled. The current rights are owned by a Chinese distributor (not Hong Kong), and they recently did a 4K master, but removed over 15 minutes. Even the bit where Tequila slides down the bannister while dual-wielding is gone.

I genuinely hope somebody has an uncut negative lying around.

Like this? Share it using the links below!