LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2012, 05:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
If I thought I could get it!

Certainly at the minute, my kitchen ceiling collapsed last week and I need the cash!
Was that from the weight of dvd's on the floor above?
Old 13th October 2012, 06:11 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
The Universal release of halloween 2 is region free on blu-ray!
Universal do not Region code US discs though. It's a different kettle of fish if it's licencing the titles to other companies and I can understand the logic even if I do not agree with it.
Old 13th October 2012, 07:17 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Was that from the weight of dvd's on the floor above?
Leak from bathroom somewhere. No my front rooms the one thats going to collapse when I turn the fron bedroom into a dvd libary so I can keep my blu-rays and graphic novels downstairs! All I need now is some nice shelves.
Old 14th October 2012, 01:05 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Just finished watching the shout factory Halloween 2 and i've got to side with Arrowfan here, I stuck the universal disc in straight afterwards and watched a bit in the hospital (about 20 minutes) and Scream factory's release trumps it.

I will add the caveat here that it does not trump it by any great leaps and bounds, it looks somewhat sharper and sounds better but the Universal release is still bloody good quality, so anyone expecting a dramatic improvement may have been dissapointed.

As for those screencaps, well i've never trusted screencaps and that link didn't really change my mind.

***edit***

and let's play nice chaps, its all opinions at the end of the day no reason for the forums to end up like Amazon!
You know what? I really like kierarts post right here. He's not confrontational, he makes valid points, and he points to the fact the the previous Uni release is plenty good enough, even if the SF release 'trumps' it slightly. Big thumbs up to keirarts.
Steel76 and keirarts like this.
Old 14th October 2012, 02:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Scream Factory are announcing another release on Friday. I would love to see The Burning, life force or dolls show up.

I've gotta say my faith in this label so far is based on a large amount of incredible releases, lets not forget after all that Scream factory is an off-shoot of Shout Factory. I have a large collection of their Corman release which were amazing. (I am a sucker for the Slumber Party collection and Humanoids)

Has anyone watched the tv version of Halloween 2 yet? Been with the kiddies so haven't had a chance to check out the sd Halloween 2 Tv version included.
Old 14th October 2012, 07:14 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowFan View Post
Scream Factory are announcing another release on Friday. I would love to see The Burning, life force or dolls show up.

I've gotta say my faith in this label so far is based on a large amount of incredible releases, lets not forget after all that Scream factory is an off-shoot of Shout Factory. I have a large collection of their Corman release which were amazing. (I am a sucker for the Slumber Party collection and Humanoids)

Has anyone watched the tv version of Halloween 2 yet? Been with the kiddies so haven't had a chance to check out the sd Halloween 2 Tv version included.

Not going to ruin things but there's some weird editing decisions in the tv cut.
Old 14th October 2012, 07:42 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Not going to ruin things but there's some weird editing decisions in the tv cut.
LOL..yeah I heard about the unusual editing. I heard the tv print has the original ending.

Either way its a really great addition to the set. I'm hoping some future films will include tv prints as well, there are some good ones out there.
Old 14th October 2012, 09:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I will add the caveat here that it does not trump it by any great leaps and bounds, it looks somewhat sharper and sounds better but the Universal release is still bloody good quality, so anyone expecting a dramatic improvement may have been dissapointed.
The sound is very clearly one of the strong points of the Scream Factory release. Although I couldn't disagree more about the sharpness comment, they're both the exact same transfer of the same print. I don't really see how either can be any sharper than the other. But I guess that's the beauty of a visual medium, especially one on a digital level, there is such a vast array of differences, from players, set ups, calibrations, that lead to varying results. Paint on a canvas ain't got anything on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
You know what? I really like kierarts post right here. He's not confrontational, he makes valid points, and he points to the fact the the previous Uni release is plenty good enough, even if the SF release 'trumps' it slightly. Big thumbs up to keirarts.
I would agree, until his edit. I honestly find the plural slightly galling and inciting. I have not resorted to anything personal, and if anyone believes I have, I would hope they report my post, or pm me about it, rather than lead the conversation away from what is actually being discussed to how it is being discussed (which I realise by replying to such I'm actually doing). I stand by everything I've said and the way in which I've conducted myself.
Old 14th October 2012, 11:54 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
The sound is very clearly one of the strong points of the Scream Factory release. Although I couldn't disagree more about the sharpness comment, they're both the exact same transfer of the same print. I don't really see how either can be any sharper than the other. But I guess that's the beauty of a visual medium, especially one on a digital level, there is such a vast array of differences, from players, set ups, calibrations, that lead to varying results. Paint on a canvas ain't got anything on this.

I would agree, until his edit. I honestly find the plural slightly galling and inciting. I have not resorted to anything personal, and if anyone believes I have, I would hope they report my post, or pm me about it, rather than lead the conversation away from what is actually being discussed to how it is being discussed (which I realise by replying to such I'm actually doing). I stand by everything I've said and the way in which I've conducted myself.
ahem...

It was more in regards to the way it seemed to be heading than any actual stuff written, and no-one was named as it was aimed at the conversation in general. I know it's impossible to judge 'tone' in written conversations but it seemed to me to be getting a little heated and I know people here are passionate about the films we discuss but I've seen the way these things can go on amazon (to the point I even got accused of being an employee of Arrow for trying to say positive things about the company) and honestly the nice thing about cult labs is it rarely seems to stoop to that level.

As for the 'sharpness' debate in regards to halloween 2, well each to their own by I could definatley see more detail in Shout factory's release, and I ran both films through the same Toshiba BDX 1200.
Old 14th October 2012, 12:06 PM
Cult Addict

Also checked out Halloween 3 (though not enough time for the bonus materials) that one looks amazing as well, a big step up from my region 1 universal disc and I thought that looked great.

One question though... why do the releases have reversable sleeves when the slipcases wont display what's underneath? Whatever the preference your stuck with the scream factory art when their on display.

Like this? Share it using the links below!