Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree3162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th May 2013, 06:54 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I would not be surprised to see Arrow announce The Burning as one of these new titles that they have recently said that they will announce monthly due to there now being too many to announce quarterly...
Old 10th May 2013, 07:06 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limey View Post
I would not be surprised to see Arrow announce The Burning as one of these new titles that they have recently said that they will announce monthly due to there now being too many to announce quarterly...
And then a ton of new extras as well. Again, with these scream factory discs i'm waiting and seeing what the uk discs look like. (or if we even get them)
Old 10th May 2013, 07:11 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I do love optomistic people.
fuzzymctiger and Criterion7 like this.
Old 10th May 2013, 07:48 AM
Cult Addict

I'm just in a situation right now where its hard to justify the 17-18 quid marketplace prices for scream factory blu-rays when a cheaper qood quality UK release might be just around the corner. FROM BEYOND cost me 13.99 with free postage from the uk, i've seen the scream factory disc and theres no difference in quality. Back in the day I had a job to go to i'd have happily double dipped but now titles like lifeforce i'm waiting for the uk release and The burning might get bought a few months or so down the line if no uk edition shows signs of materialisng (as I did with terror train.) Realistically I can only afford one major title (ie over a tenner) a month if I want to keep the lights on and food in the fridge.

Please noone think i'm having a go at scream factory, I like the titles I have a lot (they live, terror train, phantasm 2, the island and halloween 2+3) their excellent quality. But then so are the second sight and arrow releases and some of the money I spend on them goes into the uk treasury in the form of tax and national insurance.
Old 10th May 2013, 08:34 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I do love optomistic people.
I don't think the rights will be as hard to track down for a company that actually bothers to track them down, despite what we're being led to believe.

The Burning has had recent re-releases in Europe, and there's a strong possibility that the people who released it in Germany, for example, could point a company that wants to release it here in the right direction. Of course there's every possibility that the rights for Europe could be split, but considering the director is English, and living in England, and Alan Jones put him in contact with SF for the US release, I find it hard to believe he wouldn't have any idea, or at least be able to point a company that genuinely wants to release it, and that will go the effort, in the right direction.
Old 10th May 2013, 08:41 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
I don't think the rights will be as hard to track down for a company that actually bothers to track them down, despite what we're being led to believe.

The Burning has had recent re-releases in Europe, and there's a strong possibility that the people who released it in Germany, for example, could point a company that wants to release it here in the right direction. Of course there's every possibility that the rights for Europe could be split, but considering the director is English, and living in England, and Alan Jones put him in contact with SF for the US release, I find it hard to believe he wouldn't have any idea, or at least be able to point a company that genuinely wants to release it, and that will go the effort, in the right direction.
IMO I don't get a company releasing a film that's already had countless number of releases from loads of different companies, why not concentrate on a obscure film that only had one company release it, or a film that's never had a DVD release yet and be the first company to, that would be a good selling point.
Or release a film that never been released uncut here yet, Or a film that been released but out of print etc etc etc. something along that lines instead of chasing films that easily available in loads of different releases.
Old 10th May 2013, 09:00 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
IMO I don't get a company releasing a film that's already had countless number of releases from loads of different companies, why not concentrate on a obscure film that only had one company release it, or a film that's never had a DVD release yet and be the first company to, that would be a good selling point.
Or release a film that never been released uncut here yet, Or a film that been released but out of print etc etc etc. something along that lines instead of chasing films that easily available in loads of different releases.
It has NEVER had a decent release here. Uncut, yes, but never in its OAR. It's been out of print here for years too. Considering the greater frequency of Region locked releases both here and in the US, I fail to see why a US release should put anyone in another territory off. Arrow are locking most of their releases now, Second Sight too. What kind of business sense would it make to not release something that people have been fervently crying out for (on message boards like this one, social media, etc.), just because it's widely available (or will be in a matter of days) in another territory, region locked?

Not everyone imports, especially with the frequency of region locking these days. If Arrow for example took this attitude, 4 of their recently announced titles wouldn't happen. Including the likes of Lifeforce, which is getting more extra content than a US version. Not all releases are created equally. I fail to see any harm with UK fans wanting a UK release of a movie widely available elsewhere.
Daemonia likes this.
Old 10th May 2013, 09:11 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
It has NEVER had a decent release here. Uncut, yes, but never in its OAR. It's been out of print here for years too. Considering the greater frequency of Region locked releases both here and in the US, I fail to see why a US release should put anyone in another territory off. Arrow are locking most of their releases now, Second Sight too. What kind of business sense would it make to not release something that people have been fervently crying out for (on message boards like this one, social media, etc.), just because it's widely available (or will be in a matter of days) in another territory, region locked?

Not everyone imports, especially with the frequency of region locking these days. If Arrow for example took this attitude, 4 of their recently announced titles wouldn't happen. Including the likes of Lifeforce, which is getting more extra content than a US version. Not all releases are created equally. I fail to see any harm with UK fans wanting a UK release of a movie widely available elsewhere.
The main point Is there is a difference between film watchers and buyers than film addicts and collectors, and sometimes it is a good thing but if a film is widely available a film buyer will buy any version irrelevant of the company it's just a film they want to them, but a collector will welcome it, but sometimes is there enough fan base of some companies to release some films to get the money back with all the money time and effort cost etc etc, if there is then fair point I agree, just saying that wouldn't a company benefit more by releasing the type of films I mentioned, instead of widely available releases..
Old 10th May 2013, 09:58 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
The main point Is there is a difference between film watchers and buyers than film addicts and collectors, and sometimes it is a good thing but if a film is widely available a film buyer will buy any version irrelevant of the company it's just a film they want to them, but a collector will welcome it, but sometimes is there enough fan base of some companies to release some films to get the money back with all the money time and effort cost etc etc, if there is then fair point I agree, just saying that wouldn't a company benefit more by releasing the type of films I mentioned, instead of widely available releases..
Just because something is widely available doesn’t necessarily mean it’s widely accessible. What you propose is all well and good theoretically, but whether it’s practical for a business is something altogether different. How many unknown properties are worth the risk in the market? How worthwhile is it for a company to invest thousands to release a film few have heard of, opposed to a film like The Burning, which has recognition amongst its audience, but no releases in their home territory for years?

Blu-ray is a new format with sales that are growing. The DVD market isn’t growing in the UK. The vast majority of Blu-ray releases have had DVDs in the past, yet people are still picking them up. Arrow, Second Sight, etc aren’t shy of picking up licenses for BD releases of films that are available in other regions, nor for films that have had a wide DVD availability. Doesn’t that indicate something? By your logic I’m pretty sure we’d run out of catalogue releases in the world sooner or later. Of course getting new things, or things with such a limited availability is great, but I genuinely fail to see why that should have any bearing on a company putting out a film like The Burning, hugely mistreated in previous home video formats within the UK, and with no availability in the UK for almost 10 years?

But this is all massively off topic, so I'll not continue further. I think I've made my point pretty clear.
Daemonia and Criterion7 like this.
Old 10th May 2013, 10:04 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

This may sound like I have more money than sense (which I don't; I don't have much of either ) but the following points make me import US releases on certain occasions...

1) Scream Factory's artwork and slipcover releases are uniformly excellent and generally impress me much more than Arrow's artwork... Artwork is important to me.

2) Arrow pissed me off when they got rid of the window-box, 4-panel blu rays, hence from BLACK SUNDAY/LISA & THE DEVIL onwards I haven't bought any further Arrow releases. As two examples I'm holding out for Scream Factory's KNIGHTRIDERS (better artwork anyway if you ask me) and Kino's BLACK SABBATH release (I have a few other Bava's released by Kino anyway so this release will go with those BDs nicely).

3) CDImports sell new Scream/Shout Factory releases at $17.66 each, and some others e.g. the Jackie Chan doubles at around $12 (new Olive titles are all $14.43)... Buying a brand new Scream Factory release tends to work out no more expensive than a brand new Arrow release! IN FACT US imports are CHEAPER when you look at the prices Amazon are charging for some of the newer Arrow releases (e.g. KNIGHTRIDERS at 17 quid 50!!). Go second hand and I admit UK prices are generally a bit less than US import prices.

4) I spent 50 quid on a multi-region blu ray player, I may as well use it
Criterion7 likes this.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti

Last edited by oaxaca; 10th May 2013 at 12:06 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!