Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree646Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th August 2016, 09:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Let's hope it isn't just a HD upgrade of French Sex Murders! Imagine that dreadful optical effect at the end in HD!
Old 10th August 2016, 06:01 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
FINALLY, we can make that 3rd announcement!
Coming late 2016/early 2017: THE FOX WITH A VELVET TAIL!
Variously known as In the Eye of the Hurricane, Lusty Lovers, El Ojo del huracán, La volpe dalla coda di velluto and Suspicion this 1971 Italian/Spanish giallo is a hugely enjoyable and very stylish addition to the "Murder on the Med" strand of movies originally popularized by Umberto Lenzi and US star Carroll Baker.
Here, Spanish director José MarÃ*a Forqué - who later made the controversial It's Nothing, Mother, it's Only a Game (released in the US as Beyond Erotica) - brings together a talented and good looking cast, great Côte d'Azur locations, one of the best Spanish cinematographers of the day (Alejandro Ulloa) and a fantastic, lounge style score from Maestro Piccioni to create a twisty, if not twisted, tale of deception and revenge. The director's long career at the more prestigious end of Spanish cinema and the presence of award winning scripter Rafael Azcona - who worked with many top European film makers including Marco Ferreri and Luis GarcÃ*a Berlanga - give the film an edge of sophistication alongside its enjoyably devious narrative.
From its very first seconds, the film has a unique and hard to define atmosphere, almost dreamlike. Everything seems a little out of kilter. It's apt that the French release title of the film was Suspicion, not only for its Hitchcockian wrong echoes but also for the way it suggest that nothing here is to be taken at face value. There are constant doubts about minor details, about characters who seem to emerge, without warning, from the past. We feel, while watching it, as though under the influence of a benign narcotic. Only gradually do we realise what's going on and, as we do, the film builds to a tense and gripping final act, with Rosanna Yanni rising to the occasion as a gold digging harpy. Her obvious pleasure in tormenting poor AnalÃ*a Gadé is genuinely upsetting to watch.
The film is like the smooth blue waters of the Mediterranean where it's set. It looks inviting and seductive, the sun glistening off the gentle waves; but just beneath the surface, sharks are swimming, and they're hungry for prey...
The cast includes top Spanish diva AnalÃ*a Gadé, giallo staple Jean Sorel, Kommissar X star Tony Kendall and the lustrous Rosanna Yanni in one of her most memorable roles.
Expect a brand new 4k scan from the negative and a sparkling blu ray presentation with original art work from illustrator Justin Coffee.
Old 10th August 2016, 06:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Well I can honestly say I've never heard of it! I don't think it's even covered in Troy Howarth's So Sweet, So Deadly books. Is it actually a giallo?
Old 10th August 2016, 06:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
Well I can honestly say I've never heard of it! I don't think it's even covered in Troy Howarth's So Sweet, So Deadly books. Is it actually a giallo?
It gets a favourable write up in the DarkSide BLOOD AND BLACK LACE book.
Old 10th August 2016, 06:55 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
It gets a favourable write up in the DarkSide BLOOD AND BLACK LACE book.
I watched it earlier on in the year (it's on Youtube if anyone wants to give it a go) and rather enjoyed it. I'll be picking up a copy for sure.

It's nice to see that there are companies still out there who are willing to take a chance on some of these more obscure gialli titles.
Old 10th August 2016, 11:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
It's a Spanish one in the vein of the proto-gialli of the late '60s. I've just watched it and personally found it a snoozefest, but I'm not into those proto-gialli like the Carroll Baker ones by Umberto Lenzi, i.e. the ones he termed 'sexy thrillers'.

I assume it will be showing up in Volume 3 of So Deadly, So Perverse which is about the Spanish ones.
Old 1st November 2016, 09:33 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Coming next year:

Quote:
Making their (digital) US home video debut next year ...

EL CAMINANTE and INQUISITION!

Possibly Paul Naschy's two best films as a director coming to blu ray for the first time anywhere.

More info TBD/TBA

Old 30th December 2016, 07:48 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Big Plans for 2017!

2016 may have seemed like the downfall of civilization for many, but it was a pretty good year for Mondo Macabro!

We had five blu-rays releases - LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN, SYMPTOMS, PRIVATE VICES PUBLIC VIRTUES, SUDDENLY IN THE DARK, and NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND DESIRES - and one DVD-only release, MEDOUSA, making this our busiest year in almost a decade!

And we are just getting started!

We already have several amazing titles announced for 2017, including the unlimited retail release of SUDDENLY IN THE DARK in February, our BD upagrade of Franco's COUNTESS PERVERSE, the Spanish giallo THE FOX WITH A VELVET TAIL and two Paul Naschy masterpieces, EL CAMINANTE and INQUISITION, all on Blu! But we've saved the best and biggest titles for our final announcement of the year!

Coming to BD for the first time in the US: two total classics of 70s Spanish horror - WHO CAN KILL A CHILD and THE BLOOD-SPATTERED BRIDE!
We're currently working with the licensor in Spain to make sure we get the best possible HD elements to ensure these will be the definitive editions of these films for years to come.

Hopefully we'll have these ready by summertime! More info TBD/TBA!

Beyond that, we are still looking into a lot of new, exciting projects for the rest of 2017, including more Asian films on Blu-ray, another entry in our Greek Collection, and our first forays into the wild and unruly world of regional US exploito-horror! Start saving your pennies now!!
Old 1st February 2017, 03:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ordered their blu of Night Has A Thousand Desires.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st February 2017, 04:12 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Ordered their blu of Night Has A Thousand Desires.
I watched that the other night - 'tis very nice.

Like this? Share it using the links below!