All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree646Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2017, 07:32 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Coming this April from our friends at Mondo Macabro​ -- a Limited Edition set featuring HD upgrades for two of Jess Franco's more twisted efforts from his Robert de Nesle period, plus some new surprises!

First up is the much requested Blu debut of Franco's COUNTESS PERVERSE (1974). Restored to its director's cut and scanned from the original negatives, the film is a sort of Most Dangerous Game by way of De Sade, as swingin' couple Bob and Moira pick up beach bunnies from the sunny shores by day, and spend their nights seducing the same. However, things take a dark turn when their new friends are introduced to the Count & Countess Zaroff, who have their own idea of a good time. Showcasing great turns from Franco regulars Robert Woods, Howard Vernon, Alice Arno, and, of course, Lina Romay, COUNTESS PERVERSE is a disturbing mixture of sex and death, and has long been a fan favorite, for good reason -- its legendary nude hunt is easily one of the most iconic sequences from the director's vast filmography. Definitely one not to miss.

The second feature here is HOW TO SEDUCE A VIRGIN (aka Plaisir Ã* trois, 1974). The Countess de Bressac returns home from a forced nuthouse stint, the court-appointed result of castrating her former plaything. Greeted by her hunchbacked gardener, mute maid and enabling husband, she immediately retreats to her dungeon, surrounded by human statues formed from past conquests. Her spouse proposes a new game, involving the seduction of the wealthy heiress next door, but when things don't go as expected... Another of Franco's examinations of the perversion of innocence, PLAISIR A TROIS is likewise one of the provocateur's darker efforts, and it's presented here scanned from the original negatives looking better than ever.

With these titles being previously released by Mondo Macabro on DVD, the company's obviously porting over their existing special features, including a pair of excellent analyses by Murderous Passions: The Delirious Cinema of Jess Franco author Stephen Thrower, and great chats with COUNTESS PERVERSE actor Robert Woods and HOW TO SEDUCE A VIRGIN screenwriter Alan Petit.

But wait, there's more! This collection also contains the English-friendly disc debut of SEXY NATURE (1974), the complete 101-minute Adults Only variant of COUNTESS PERVERSE! Throw away those bootlegs; as with the other films here, it's presented in HD from the original film elements -- no tape inserts or anything of the sort.

Guess what? That's not all! The outfit is additionally including a bonus CD featuring Blue Phantom's 1971 psych-rock classic DISTORTIONS, containing several of the memorable tracks that popped up in both COUNTESS PERVERSE and the director's SINNER: THE SECRET DIARY OF A NYMPHOMANIAC (1973). If you're a fan of those films' soundtracks, this is an incredible inclusion, and one I guarantee will be in heavy rotation at the ol' Arcana HQ. Last, but certainly not least, there's a printed booklet with liner notes from MM's own Pete Tombs.

This All Region set is limited to 1,000 numbered copies, and will be an exclusive to Mondo Macabro's webstore. Pre-orders are set to go live Friday, March 3rd, with a ship date in early April. Pricing is expected to be set at $45 with free shipping, which may seem a bit high, but the company is really attempting to give Franco fans the kind of release they've been asking for, and it should be a great addition to our collections -- whether or not you think it's worth it is up to you. Viva la Franco!

(Note: I censored the cover art for Facebook; the actual release will be untouched.)
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 25th February 2017, 09:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
its a nice release for Franco fans but i'm not seeing why it justifies a limited edition. assuming there will be a standard edition what will be dropped - the CD or the variant 'Sexy Nature' cut? if its just the CD i'd happily pass and save some money.
Old 25th February 2017, 09:39 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
its a nice release for Franco fans but i'm not seeing why it justifies a limited edition. assuming there will be a standard edition what will be dropped - the CD or the variant 'Sexy Nature' cut? if its just the CD i'd happily pass and save some money.
MM's rights to these films apparently are expiring soon, so there may not be a standard edition unfortunately.
Old 25th February 2017, 10:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Countess Perverse is a decent enough take on The Most Dangerous Game. The dvd looks sparkling anyway so a blu should perhaps be extra impressive.

I've not seen How To Seduce a Virgin. If the rights are expiring i'd better make it high priority before Bill gets hold of it.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 1st March 2017, 05:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

somehow this one slipped my attention - out March 3rd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SilenceTomb.jpg (98.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 1st March 2017, 06:30 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
somehow this one slipped my attention - out March 3rd
Not a Mondo Macabro release and a 'collectors edition' re-issue of the original limited release which has since sold out from Dorado Films direct.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 1st March 2017, 06:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Not a Mondo Macabro release and a 'collectors edition' re-issue of the original limited release which has since sold out from Dorado Films direct.
ah i see, i just assumed it was an MM as it was on their website
Old 1st March 2017, 06:49 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
ah i see, i just assumed it was an MM as it was on their website
Yeah, MM often sell other labels' releases to give them a bit more wider exposure, which is damn nice of them!
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 3rd March 2017, 03:02 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Now available to order from MM's store.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 3rd March 2017, 03:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Have every Mondo Macabro release so far but in two minds whether to order it as works out at just under £43 delivered to the UK.

Like this? Share it using the links below!