Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2007
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2007, 04:13 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I was about 6 when I saw my first horror film on TV. It was Fiend Without A Face and apparently I woke up in the early hours shrieking and wailing inanely that there was a killer brain under my bed. It took a lot of reassuring (backed up with crisps - Horror Bags of course - and Dandelion & Burdock) to convince me that I was wrong.

35 years on I now know for sure that it was untrue and that there wasn't a killer brain under my bed. It was just a childish nightmare. I also know that if I strategically leap into bed at night it won't have time to grab my foot.........

I live by the seaside (Newquay in Cornwall) and when Jaws came out I was positive that I found Ben Gardner's head down by the harbour. It wasn't (it was actually a rock) but I remain unconvinced.
Old 16th October 2007, 12:49 PM
Blogs Moderator

Seems like Jaws was a formative experience for many horror fans. I've always been a fan of the evil space brain micro-genre. i love Brain From Planet Arous starring John Agar.
Old 16th October 2007, 08:53 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

From Candyman I went on to Jaws and after Jaws I found Psycho. They were the three films that made me a horror addict.

It's really interesting reading about the films that turned everyone else!
Old 17th October 2007, 08:01 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

That's a funny one, Jaws never scared me that much. Maybe if there was some clowns in the film?
Old 17th October 2007, 08:22 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I can't remember my first horror experience! lol

I was raised on the stuff... My mother would double-bill my young ass with the likes of Night and Dawn of the Dead... while in a cottage in the back of beyond of mid-Wales. Which resulted in me having nightmares for weeks on end!!

I'll always remember her showing me Rats and Squirm as a double bill when I was like 6, it was the most fun I had in my whole 6 years on earth! lol.

Once I hit double figures I was in the realms of Argento and Fulci... while also trying to get my hands on the lurid "Exploited" VHS's like 'Three on a meat hook'. Then around 97, I was turned on to the Video Nasties - due to tales from my Mother who has worked in run-down cinema back in the 70's - and with the help of the Internet I was able to track most of them down, and with the creation of DVD; it's never been this easy! whoop!

So yeah, I was born a horror junkie!
Old 20th October 2007, 01:43 PM
Cultist

Just read sarahw1984's post and it reminds me of my own experience.

My first horror movie was HALLOWEEN which I saw in 1998 at the age of about 12 or 13. I'd never seen a proper horror film before as my parents were always very strict about TV and what I could watch, so it was kind of an accident.
It was 31/10 and Halloween was showing on BBC1 that night. I didn't know a thing about it, wasn't aware of Michael Myers or the history of the movie or anything! I just taped it as I thought the blurb sounded cool & luckily it got past the censors (my parents).
The next night I watched it on my own, in the dark - and it freaked me out! I've never been so scared, and excited. I'd never seen someone "die" before and was blown away by the gory effects. When it finished and the titles came on I remember I was frozen in my seat, my heart was racing so fast. I couldn't believe it just ended *there*. After that I looked online and found out there were some sequels so I got them soon after, Halloween 2 on video and Halloween 4 was my first ever DVD, in 1998 or early 1999. I became obsessed with horror movies but Halloween remains my fave.
Old 26th October 2007, 05:33 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

I remember the first time I watched Halloween, Robbie. Slept with the light on for two nights and developed a temporary irrational fear of William Shatner! Still didn't scare me as much as Candyman though!
Old 29th October 2007, 03:41 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

I tell you being a member of these forums is a surefire way to avoid buying our DVDs! With the handful of members we have then the three copies of New York Ripper we have to win will go a looooooooong way!

We're not even a month old (going by our first release being 1st Oct) but it's great to see you guys coming on and making the effort. We're working hard to try and come up with cool little seen films in the UK and provide them in decent transfers and always uncut! Unless the BBFC come and spoil our party as we all know...

Anyway as a strict one off but to show our appreciation everyone who wrote a story gets a copy of NYR except for you Sam cause you already have one!

So PoochJD, Avalard, Broonage, Sarahw1984, Vincenzo, Philleh and RobbieD send me a private message on these here forums with your postal address and I'll send you a copy of New York Ripper.

This competition is now closed so no more entries please. Another comp will be posted very soon so please come back cause otherwise you're going to have to buy the DVDs and we can't have that now can we?
Old 30th October 2007, 11:04 AM
Cultist

Yay! Have sent a PM

Sarahw - I haven't seen Candyman for such a long time, nearly 10 years. I barely remember the storyline, but I do remember being unimpressed. Keep meaning to buy the DVD so I can reappraise it (hopefully!) I'm sure it's not as bad as Candyman IV! Have you watched the Halloween remake? I really enjoyed it!
Old 30th October 2007, 11:13 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

You guys are indeed VERY kind! Thank you.

I have to agree that Candyman is still a brilliant film. I haven't seen anything in the franchise after part 2 though, couldn't inflict that on myself!
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!