Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2007
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st October 2007, 09:59 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philleh View Post
You guys are indeed VERY kind! Thank you.

I have to agree that Candyman is still a brilliant film. I haven't seen anything in the franchise after part 2 though, couldn't inflict that on myself!
Candyman IV is the only film EVER to send me off to sleep. I watched it in America and they'd blurred out all the lady's wobbly bits and muted the sound when anyone swore!! I imagine they made cuts too as it wasn't gory. Guess I'll have to re-watch it some time...

Got New York Ripper this morning, thank you!! It looks fantastic. I love the yellow cases! Will post my thoughts...
Old 31st October 2007, 10:04 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieD View Post

Got New York Ripper this morning, thank you!! It looks fantastic. I love the yellow cases! Will post my thoughts...
Cool - we're thirsty for opinions as right now we're starting work on Feb titles so it takes a while for any good fan suggestions to work through.
Old 31st October 2007, 02:07 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieD View Post
Yay! Have sent a PM

Sarahw - I haven't seen Candyman for such a long time, nearly 10 years. I barely remember the storyline, but I do remember being unimpressed. Keep meaning to buy the DVD so I can reappraise it (hopefully!) I'm sure it's not as bad as Candyman IV! Have you watched the Halloween remake? I really enjoyed it!
I haven't seen the Halloween remake yet. I'm not sure if I want to or not. I really love the original (in a kind of mad passionate obsessive way) so I have a feeling the remake will just make me angry. I might wait for DVD.

My copy of NYR hasn't arrived yet. But I am in the Liverpool area and our post's still up the wall due to the strikes. I'm not going to hold my breath... I bought a book to read for my undergraduate dissertation and it was posted on the 16th October and it still hasn't arrived. Not a big fan of Royal Mail at present! But when NYR does manage to get here I'll be prompt with my feedback!
Old 1st November 2007, 11:37 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Just received my copy of NYR. Thank you very much indeed.

This is a VAST improvement on the Vipco video from days of yore. The print is absolutely superb and the film looks nastier than ever (I could never work out why Jack Hedley was dubbed though).

Regarding the confusion over the cuts length. I compared the Shameless release to the Vipco one (the stomach-slashing) and the Shameless print is definitely less cut. It's a shame(less) that the scene had to be cut to begin with (it's only makeup and actors after all, unlike the repulsive animal footage in cannibal films) but there we go. The BBFC are slightly wrong in saying the cuts are now 34 secs rather than 22 (for the Vipco), and it would be useful if they could amend this.

Congratulations (and thanks again) on a fine debut release, and I'm looking forward to Killer Nun (a guilty pleasure from days gone by) with mucho enthusiasm.
Old 1st November 2007, 11:58 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Just received my copy of NYR. Thank you very much indeed.

This is a VAST improvement on the Vipco video from days of yore. The print is absolutely superb and the film looks nastier than ever (I could never work out why Jack Hedley was dubbed though).

Regarding the confusion over the cuts length. I compared the Shameless release to the Vipco one (the stomach-slashing) and the Shameless print is definitely less cut. It's a shame(less) that the scene had to be cut to begin with (it's only makeup and actors after all, unlike the repulsive animal footage in cannibal films) but there we go. The BBFC are slightly wrong in saying the cuts are now 34 secs rather than 22 (for the Vipco), and it would be useful if they could amend this.

Congratulations (and thanks again) on a fine debut release, and I'm looking forward to Killer Nun (a guilty pleasure from days gone by) with mucho enthusiasm.
Thanks Vincenzo - glad you like it and thank you for pointing out this cuts disparity. We accepted the BBFC timing and put it on the DVD but now armed with piles of paper we think it's wrong so are looking into this!
Old 1st November 2007, 12:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The BBFC know the 34s figure is incorrect as they told me that they did not request any additional cuts for the Shamless release.
Old 1st November 2007, 12:33 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

When my copy arrive I'll compare it with my uncut R1 release. See what damage they have done!

Last edited by Philleh; 1st November 2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 1st November 2007, 02:33 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw1984 View Post
I haven't seen the Halloween remake yet. I'm not sure if I want to or not. I really love the original (in a kind of mad passionate obsessive way) so I have a feeling the remake will just make me angry. I might wait for DVD.
I think I'm there with you loving Halloween in a "mad passionate obsessive" way... I have the box set of all the movies, the soundtracks, a poster, 2 DVDs of Halloween + the new blu-ray, Part 6 Producers Cut, the 25 Years of Terror convention DVD...!!! Even my email address is a Halloween reference. lol. I think you should definitely check out the remake, the first half is brand new and definitely the better half, it looks into Michael's background and you find out why he became like he did. The second half is a condensed version of the original but without all the magic that made Carpenter's movie the classic it is.
Old 1st November 2007, 02:41 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

How did you get the producers cut of part 6 Rob? I'm interested in seeing that.

I dug the re-make also, the DVD will be one to have as it will be the full version (more akin to the work print than the theatre release) and it's BRUTAL! A certain scene incolving a crazy woman and 2 brutish wardens is heart-breaking.

Concur on the second half too, once he heads home the film looses its impact and becomes a little boring. Still... the first hour was a total pleasure.
Old 1st November 2007, 04:24 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

I've got the Producer's Cut of Part 6 as well, Philleh. I ebayed for it and got it off some guy in America. Unfortunately I can't find his details on my ebay account as it was so long ago. It's a proper bootleg but it's allegedly the best version around. There doesn't seem to be as many copies doing the rounds as there used to be though!
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!