Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2007
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:21 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The violence was never an issue with Last House... perse. it was more the sexual humiliation, the 'piss yourself' scene especially.

Night Train... has some dark scenes, but they aren't as unflinching as Last House... So I expect this to make it through. *Fingers crossed*

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I think the horse castration in Flavia cut last time by the BBFC might still be an issue today.
Old 2nd November 2007, 05:13 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

But we have the power of this being a "Feminist piece" on our side! mwa hahaha. They seem to let hardcore into films for that reason, why not this?

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 2nd November 2007, 05:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

This is the BBFC's reply re- the 34s to The New York Ripper

The recent cuts requested for THE NEW YORK RIPPER were identical to those requested for the work in 2002, namely the slicing by razor blade of bound woman's stomach, breast and nipple in accordance with our classification guidelines. The BBFC did not request any additional cuts. I'm afraid I cannot account for the 10 seconds or so difference in the times. This may be attributable to technical factors, or to the distributor having removed slightly more material than required - although this was not noticeable to the examiners who checked the cut version.
Old 2nd November 2007, 11:53 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The BBFC are completely wrong in their running time. I compared both prints of the movie (Vipco & Shameless) together and the version of the murder scene used in the Shameless release is definitely longer, not shorter. The distributor certainly hasn't removed more material than before from this scene.

The chest-slashing scene is not only edited better in the Shameless release but seems to be around 3-6 secs longer by using alternate & slow-mo footage. The BBFC statement that this totals a further 12 secs of cuts than before (from 22 to 34 secs) is misleading & incorrect. Sam's description of the cuts length as being 19 secs is far more accurate.

The only thing I can think of is that the BBFC have possibly included the cuts made to the original trailer (12 secs) in the total cuts to the DVD which, added to the cuts made to the film (22 secs?) equals 34 secs. Either way they're still wrong, as the Shameless version is longer. Perhaps there's a widescreen technical factor between 19 secs (Sam's more accurate length) and 22 secs (the original full-frame Vipco one).
Old 9th January 2008, 08:07 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Hi!
Firstly, let me just say, this is my first post! Horray! Hopefully its a good one (good enough to get me some prizes...please!).

Anyway, here is my TRUE first horror experience:

When I was a lot younger (probably about 7 or 8) I watched Wes Craven's brilliant and infamous horror film, "A Nightmare On Elm Street". I'm pretty sure you all know the story; a guy is burnt and comes back in their children's dreams to kill them in order to seek revenge. Anywho, I managed to catch the film on the TV one night, and secretly watched it whilst my parents were downstairs, as it was past my bedtime! I watched it and was petrified, especially the scene where Tod (i think that's his name), played by Johnny Depp is pulled into the bed resulting in a huge fountain of blood gushing from the bed. Well, in the end, I managed to get to sleep. However, this is not where it the horror ended.
I started to dream, and I can remember this dream so clearly, even today. I was sleeping in my bed, and Freddy's gloved hand came out from the matress (like the film) and pulled me down, into a strange dark room or something all alone! Suddenly I hear this noise behind me, and sure enough standing, laughing, is Mr. Krugur holding some sort of box in his hands. He then suddenly opened the box and loads of small red balls started spinning towards me and sticking to me, which itched and burned.
But what is even more weird, is that when I woke up in the morning, I was ACTUALLY covered in little red dots. At this moment, I instantly ran to my folks telling them about the dream and the spots. However, it turned out that they were actually chicken pox! Was it just purely a coincidence or was Freddy real? Mmm, who knows, I just hope it isn't the latter! And to top this all of after I had to suffer with those itchy pox, i had to be greunded for watching the film (I was only young remember)!!!

And now I'm hooked on horror ever since. Getting more and more gory. Just watched Zombie Flesh Eaters the other day and loved it - so I think this film would be perfect!

P.S - is this competition still running? lol!
Old 10th January 2008, 12:09 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Mr Krueger? My you're a respectful chap! Still we like polite fiends on here.

Thanks for joining the crowd and if you're only on Zombie Flesh Eaters then buy have you got some treats in store - I'm always jealous of people yet to discover all the hidden treasures of the horror and exploitation genres.

I'm afraid the comp has long since closed but you've reminded me that I need to set another one up so I'll tend to that now so you can enter!

If you're looking for any pointers on where to next go in your horror voyage then ask away - some real experts on here!
Old 10th January 2008, 02:24 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Oh no don't get me wrong! I luuuuuuuuuuuv horror films and have loads. Admitedly I'm new to the Exploitation subgenre, but what I've seen I've loved.

Check this link out: http://www.dvdspot.com/member=iluvdvds

You can add your own collections on their too!
Old 10th January 2008, 08:12 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Not questioning your love of horror sir!

Actually it raises a point though. I end up shying away from other forums as some of them get rather elitist with members tearing into each other for not remembering some obscure point or expressing disbelief at not having seen a certain film.

Shameless is intended to be a label of discovery. Some of you will have seen every film but I like the idea of Shameless being in the shops, hoovering up new fans or people who fell out of the exploitation habit and coming along to the forums where we can offer them some guidance and bring some fresh blood into this all.

I feel like we're building a new world *sob*
Old 11th January 2008, 06:09 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

It sounds good to me!

I'm guessing you've seen all the Shameless titles (correct me if I'm wrong), what would you recommend as a starting point. I love Fulci films, yet i've only seen his zombie films . Some of the titles sound a bit odd, like Ratman! What's that like?

Thanks a lot - sorry if I sound like a complete newbie, it's just that... I am! (to these types of horror films anywho!)
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!