Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2009

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th June 2009, 11:32 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Weekly Comp - MACABRE! - 26/06/09

Hi everybody! Yep, that's right - this week it's the turn of the EXCELLENT Macabre released by Arrow's Masters Of Giallo! It's a truly brilliant DVD - with a great poster, art work, feauturette, a very insightful interview and more all presented in amazing quality! To be honest, I may have to say that I prefered this to HBTC! But it's a tough one!

Anyways, enough of me blubbering on, here's some info on this week's prize...

FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T RAID THE FRIDGE!
True horror fans prepare to rejoice! The undead spirit of the "video nasty" and some of the best examples of Italian exploitation cinema are about to be raised from the grave and reborn on DVD courtesy of Arrow Video's forthcoming Masters of Giallo imprint.
The first bloody batch, hitting the shelves on 29th June 2009, gives a much-welcomed new lease of life to three of the genre's most revered classics – Lucio Fulci's THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY, Lamberto Bava's MACABRE and Dario Argento's SLEEPLESS. Released completely uncut on DVD for the first time in the UK, each film comes with an unholy host of brand new extras, along with two-sided sleeve inserts featuring all-new, specially commissioned exploitation artwork plus the film's original release artwork. Finally paying these movies their due respects after far too long, these releases are everything an insatiably hungry horror fan could ask for. As a special bonus, each release also comes complete with a poster featuring the brand new art.

Lamberto Bava's stunning debut feature, MACABRE, is a stylish and blackly comic work bizarrely inspired by actual events. A disturbed young woman devastated by the death of her boyfriend moves into a boarding house where the blind landlord, regularly overhearing the sounds of lovemaking behind closed doors, becomes convinced his new tenant has resumed her passionate affair with her late lover! It sounds crazy, but the landlord never sees anyone enter or leave the apartment in question. Of coures, he is blind, but is that the only reason? As his quest to discover the truth behind his suspicions unfolds, his findings propel the distasteful proceedings to a chilling climax involving a fridge that will end viewers' midnight snack cravings forever.

MACABRE (cert. 18) will be released on DVD (£15.99, tbc) by Arrow Video on 29th June 2009. Special Features include: exclusive booklet – A Q&A with Lamberto Bava; Introduction to Macabre by Lamberto Bava; Macabre and the Golden Age of Italian Exploitation; trailer; photo gallery.

SEE! I TOLD YOU IT WAS BRILLIANT!

Right but how to win? Mmmm. Well, heres the plan. Since this film is all about a head (!), thats what this comp will be about. I'm going to post 5 screen shots from 5 different films, every day (until next friday when the 3 winners will be announced) and all you need to do is guess films! Simple! EXCEPT, I'll be decapitating the characters - that's right, I'll have blanked out the heads, to make it a bit more difficult, fun and to do with heads!

As soon as you know them, just PM me your answers - however I won't be giving any hints this week - but you can still guess as much as you like Then the next day, I'll announce the answers for yesterdays films, post 5 new headless pics, post all the people who entered and give them a score of how may films they got correct. Then at the end of the week, the 3 people with the highest score will each win this DVD! I hope that made at least SOME sense - any questions - ask away! Oh, and if it's a tie, it'll be down to the ol' trilby hat!

I'll post today's 5 pictures in a mo, just as soon as I do them that is.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 26th June 2009, 12:32 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Right, here's today's 5 pictures:

There you go! All you need to do is guess the 5 films these shots are from and PM me the answers. Each one you get correct, you get a point. The 3 with the most points at the end of the week win!
Old 27th June 2009, 09:32 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Damn! My PC is playing up again and not downloading the pictures for me. Maybe I should just guess..........

"Last House On The Left"
"King Kong"
"The Sound Of Music"
"Bambi"
........er....just kidding.

I may as well have some fun if I can't join in.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 27th June 2009, 10:46 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

It's not working?! Mmmm. I'll attach the pictures as well - see if that helps then

Okay, SO FAR the scores are like this...

Loops - 5

Mark Meakin - 4

Everyone Else - Ziltch!

New pics'll be up soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Weekly Comp - MACABRE! - 26/06/09-1.jpg   Weekly Comp - MACABRE! - 26/06/09-2.jpg   Weekly Comp - MACABRE! - 26/06/09-3.jpg   Weekly Comp - MACABRE! - 26/06/09-4.jpg   Weekly Comp - MACABRE! - 26/06/09-5.jpg  

Old 27th June 2009, 11:03 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I thought Mark would have got them all.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 27th June 2009, 11:18 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

I'm sure he'll be kicking himself when he finds out what that one was!
Old 27th June 2009, 11:56 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Okay, here's today's 5 headless pictures. I've whitened out their faces this time as, well it looks cooler!

Picture 6:

Picture 7:

Picture 8:

Picture 9:

Picture 10:

There you go. As soon as you know what films these belong to - PM me the answers! Or indeed if you know what yesterdays ones were. The person to get most right WINS!

Attached Thumbnails
Weekly Comp - MACABRE! - 26/06/09-.jpg   Weekly Comp - MACABRE! - 26/06/09-b.jpg   Weekly Comp - MACABRE! - 26/06/09-c.jpg   Weekly Comp - MACABRE! - 26/06/09-d.jpg   Weekly Comp - MACABRE! - 26/06/09-e.jpg  

Old 27th June 2009, 12:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Pic 9 has got me stumped

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 28th June 2009, 10:02 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
Pic 9 has got me stumped
I think this comp is one of those things you'll be kicking yourself when you find out what the answers where!

Anywho, here's the 3 in the lead so far...

1) Make Them Die Slowly - 10

2) Spooks - 9

3) Loops - 9

It's a VERY close one!
Old 28th June 2009, 10:07 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Picture 11:

Picture 12:

Picture 13:

Picture 14:

and Picture 15:

Remember you can still guess the other day's pictures too!
Attached Thumbnails
Weekly Comp - MACABRE! - 26/06/09-f.jpg   Weekly Comp - MACABRE! - 26/06/09-g.jpg   Weekly Comp - MACABRE! - 26/06/09-h.jpg   Weekly Comp - MACABRE! - 26/06/09-i.jpg   Weekly Comp - MACABRE! - 26/06/09-j.jpg  

Last edited by iluvdvds@Cult Labs; 28th June 2009 at 10:30 AM.
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!