Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2009

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th October 2009, 01:58 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Halloween Triple Treat - Weekly Comp - 30/10/2009

Hello!!!!!

It's nearly HALLOWEENY! One more day! And that only means one thing (well, okay, quite a couple of things but mainly) A SUPER WEEKLY COMP! I''ve decided to change the whole prize giving away thing this week, by giving away 3 seperate dvds! Here they are....

Firstly to celebrate Tartan's return (now called Palisades Tartan) is...

Title: Asian Horror - Essential Collection
Label: Palisades Tartan
Release date: 26th October 2009
Certificate: 18
Running time: 301 mins
Price: £24.99
Director: Takashi Miike, Hideo Nakata, Danny Pang, Oxide Pan
Stars: Ryo Ishibashi, Eihi Shiina, Miyuki Matsuda, Renji Ishibashi, Hitomi Kuroki

A TERRIFYING DVD TRIPLE BILL OF HORROR FEATURING ‘AUDITION', ‘DARK WATER' AND ‘THE EYE'.

Palisades Tartan brings together three of Asia's most acclaimed horror movies in a DVD triple bill that perfectly illustrates why Hollywood has been so keen to remake and rip-off these truly original classics of Asian cinema.
This incredible three-disc collection includes Takashi Miike's AUDITION, ‘Ring' director Hideo Nakata's DARK WATER and The Pang Brothers' THE EYE.

Directed by cult auteur Takashi Miike (Ichi The Killer; Visitor Q) and starring Ryo Ishibashi (The Grudge) and Eihi Shiina (Tokyo Gore Police), the notorious shocker AUDITION begins with a lonely widower sitting in on auditions for a non-existent movie project primarily set up to help him find a new wife. Entranced by one particular candidate, a former ballerina, he takes her phone number and eventually invites her to dinner. But this soft-spoken beauty isn't quite what she seems and soon the whispers of romance are replaced by screams of terror.

Forget the Hollywood remake – director Hideo Nakata's welcome return to the horror genre (in which he made his name with the ‘Ring' movies) is the real deal. A sinister and edgy ghost story about a mother and daughter whose rundown apartment has unexplained damp patches on the walls and ghostly apparitions from a young girl, DARK WATER does for bathtubs what his previous two hits did for video players.

Pan-asian auteurs Danny and Oxide Pang (Bangkok Dangerous) bring their famed editing skills to bear on the horror genre in THE EYE, a tense and creepy tale that focuses on Mun, a cornea-transplant recipient who has been blind most of her life. Adjusting to her newfound sight, Mun begins to see haunting and disturbing images of dead people. As the visions increase in frequency, she turns to a young psychiatrist for help in discovering the identity of the deceased donor responsible for her restored sight.

ASIAN HORROR - ESSENTIAL COLLECTION (cert. 18, tbc) will be released on DVD (£24.99) by Palisades Tartan on 26th October 2009.

The second prize is:

Palisades Tartan's Korean Horror - Essential Collection

Title: Korean Horror - Essential Collection
Label: Palisades Tartan
Release date: 26th October 2009
Certificate: 18
Running time: 308 mins
Price: £24.99
Director: Park Ki-hyung, Kim Seong-ho, Won Shin-yeon
Stars: Park Ki-hyung, Kim Jin-geun, Mun Oh-bin, Jeong Na-yoon, Chae Min-seo

PRESENTING THREE MASTERFUL HORROR MOVIES FROM KOREA – ‘INTO THE MIRROR', ‘ACACIA' AND ‘THE WIG'.

Palisades Tartan brings together three Korean chillers as a three-disc collection that includes Kim Sung-ho's INTO THE MIRROR, Park Ki-hyung's ACACIA and Won Shin-yeon's THE WIG.

Recently given the Hollywood remake treatment as ‘Mirrors', directed by Alexandre Aja (Switchblade Romance; The Hills Have Eyes) and starring Keifer Sutherland, Kim Sung-ho's INTO THE MIRROR is a creepy and highly stylized horror tale involving Wu Young-min, a cop who has quit the police force after inadvertently killing his partner. Now working at a department store, Wu encounters his ex-rival, who is in charge of investigating a series of murders at the store, and finds himself being pulled into the sinister investigation.

Park Ki-hyung's ACACIA tells of an obstetrician and his wife who, unable to have a child of their own, decide to adopt a 10-year-old boy, Jin-seung. When the wife later falls pregnant and has a baby, Jin-seung becomes so incensed by jealousy he runs away. During his absence a dead tree in the garden, where he used to play, mysteriously comes to life and fills the house with a heavy scent. Then a variety of strange events begin to occur, all of them seemingly related to the mysterious tree.

Creepy chills meet visceral horror in Won Shin-yeon's beautifully shot THE WIG, the tale of Ji-hyeon, a young woman who buys her terminally ill sister a new wig to hide the hair loss resulting from her treatment. After her sister starts making an alarming comeback in mental health to the point of being hostilely aggressive and overbearingly sexual, Ji-hyeon soon discovers the disturbing truth about the history of the wig.

KOREAN HORROR - ESSENTIAL COLLECTION (cert. 18, tbc) will be released on DVD (£24.99) by Palisades Tartan on 26th October 2009.

And to top it all of (and something non-asian, or horror) is....

THE DISTRICT 13 DOUBLE PACK!

TWO EXPLOSIVE MOVIES - INCLUDES THE ORIGINAL FILM DISTRICT 13 PLUS THE STUNNING SEQUEL DISTRICT 13: ULTIMATUM

"WILL HAVE ACTION FANS PURRING WITH PLEASURE" The Times

With the phenomenal success of the critically acclaimed high-octane action thriller "District 13" writer-producer Luc Besson (the Transporter trilogy; the Taxi trilogy) not only unleashed the extreme sport of Parkour or Freerunning from its underground roots by introducing it to a wider international audience, he also introduced to the screen a pair of brand new action heroes in the film's stars, Cyril Raffaelli (Live Free Or Die Hard) and David Belle (Babylon A.D.). Now, Besson, Raffaelli and Belle return to the incendiary environment of the near-future Paris suburbs in the action-thriller DISTRICT 13: ULTIMATUM, the hugely anticipated sequel to one of the most spectacular action movies of recent years.

It's 2013, three years after the events of the first movie, and it appears that despite government promises nothing has changed in District 13, the racially charged ghetto notorious for its gangs, drug dealers and killers. A consortium of corrupt cops and government officials is conspiring to cause civil unrest within D13 with a view to finding an excuse to raze the area and cash in on its redevelopment. When a local kid accidentally uncovers the plot, the district's resident idealist Leito (Belle) and elite law-enforcer Damien Tomaso (Raffaelli) are reunited in a bid to bring peace to the troubled neighbourhood and to expose the conspiracy before a proposed air-strike can destroy the area Leito calls home.

Besson and director Patrick Alessandrin (Mean Spirit; August 15th) deliver another intoxicating cocktail of jaw-dropping martial arts, breathtaking Freerunning and explosive action in a movie that incredibly manages to outdo its thrilling predecessor on every level.

DISTRICT 13: ULTIMATUM (cert. 15) is available to buy on DVD and Blu-ray, courtesy of Momentum Pictures, from 26th October 2009.

Special features include: 'Making of' documentary, Production Diary and Deleted scenes.

NOW THOSE ARE WHAT I CALL COOL PRIZES!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Halloween Triple Treat - Weekly Comp - 30/10/2009-asian.jpg   Halloween Triple Treat - Weekly Comp - 30/10/2009-district-13.jpg   Halloween Triple Treat - Weekly Comp - 30/10/2009-korean.jpg   Halloween Triple Treat - Weekly Comp - 30/10/2009-audition.jpg   Halloween Triple Treat - Weekly Comp - 30/10/2009-dark-water.jpg  

Halloween Triple Treat - Weekly Comp - 30/10/2009-eye.jpg   Halloween Triple Treat - Weekly Comp - 30/10/2009-into-mirror.jpg   Halloween Triple Treat - Weekly Comp - 30/10/2009-acacia.jpg   Halloween Triple Treat - Weekly Comp - 30/10/2009-wig.jpg   Halloween Triple Treat - Weekly Comp - 30/10/2009-district-13-1.jpg  

Last edited by iluvdvds@Cult Labs; 30th October 2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 30th October 2009, 01:58 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

So, here's how this comp will work.

Since it's Halloweeny (well, tommorow )it's time to show off your pumpkin carvin skills. Simply carve a pumpkin, take a picture and post it up here! Oh, and I'll be posting a blog after I've done this explaining how to carve and post pictures, just in case anyone gets stuck

Don't have a camera? Don't have a pumpkin? Don't have a cow man! Anything will do - even a picture drawn on paint. (or one nicked of the internet and called your own - ssshhh! ) Or even a halloweeny joke, or little story - whatever as long as it's halloweeny-related and uber cool!

The three best (most inventive, funny or just plain AWESOME!) will be picked by mee next friday (before the next weekly comp). Then I'll post 3 pumpkins of my own. 3 lucky pumpkins. The three winners will each have to pick a pumpkin. Open the lids take a look inside, and see which one of the above prizes you've won in your trick or treating-ness!

(of course, if you've seen those films, or want another dvd, you could always swap it lol - but whatever).

So get those pumpkins in!

Remember ANYONE can enter and as many times as you like! The more entries the more chance of winning.

GOOD LUCK AND..........

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE (well,for tommorow )
Old 30th October 2009, 03:01 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Oh and I know alot of you guys have kids. Why not get them carving? I'm sure they'd luv it! Wooo!
Old 30th October 2009, 07:31 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

awesome prizes mate, ill be going for district 13 as i have all the others, me and ,mmy kids will be carving pumpkins this weekend for the first time ever
Old 30th October 2009, 07:49 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

my jason effort
Old 30th October 2009, 07:51 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

nice mbv, looks awesome
Old 30th October 2009, 08:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Thanks BS...was kinda proud of that one!!

Here's my stab() at Frankenstein's monster
Old 30th October 2009, 08:14 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

awesome, i think there both great, im going to have my first go at it soon with the kids
Old 30th October 2009, 08:18 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Those are some excellent pumpkins mbv.
Old 30th October 2009, 08:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Cheers!! I love doing it, it's messy but such great fun.
I've to do one more tomorrow...don't know what to be doing with it though
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!