Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2010

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th March 2010, 10:32 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Weekly Comp - The Card Player - 07/03/2010

Hi dididly ho Cult Lab people! Hows everyone doing? Enjoying your weekends I hope. Well, here comes the cherry on that cake; it's the weekly competition! OH YEAH! And this week we have yet another incredible prize, another ARROW VIDEO release! Yep, it's none other than:

Label: Arrow Video
Release date: 22nd March 2010
Release type: DVD
Certificate: 15
Running time: 114 mins
Pricing: £15.99
Genre: Horror
Director: Dario Argento
Stars: Liam Cunnigham, Stefania Rocca, Fiore Argento, Claudio Santamari

A NEW DIRECTION FOR THE ITALIAN MASTER OF HORROR.

Starring Liam Cunningham (Dog Soldiers), Stefania Rocca (The Talented Mr. Ripley), Claudio Santamari (The Son's Room) and the director's daughter, Fiore Argento (Demons; Phenomena), and featuring an innovative score by regular Argento collaborator, former Goblin keyboard player Claudio Simonetti (Sleepless), The Card Player sees Italian horror maestro Dario Argento (Suspiria; Tenebrae) moving into classic detective thriller territory in what is generally considered to be his most commercially accessible work to date.

A serial killer is on the loose in Rome, kidnapping women and using them as the stake in a series of deadly games of poker played with the police over the internet. If the police win, the victim is set free; if they lose, the victim dies and the police are rewarded with a gruesome video of the murder being committed. When a British tourist becomes involved, disgraced Irish cop John Brennan (Liam Cunningham) is sent to Rome to investigate. There, he teams up with Anna Mari (Stefania Rocca), the no-nonsense Italian detective heading up the investigation. Once they set about tracking down the killer, they are forced to play the game themselves, but the stakes are raised even higher when a police chief's daughter (Fiore Argento) is abducted and it becomes apparent the ‘Card Player’ knows more about Anna than she would like.

Full of all the trademark elements that have earned Argento such a huge and loyal fanbase among horror aficionados, The Card Player is an innovative, modern day thriller highlighted by a dazzling set-piece set around a breathtaking ‘cat and mouse’ chase between Anna and the film's eponymous killer.

The Card Player (cert. 15) will be released on DVD (15.99) by Arrow Video on 22nd March 2010.

Special Features include: double sided sleeve featuring new artwork; exclusive collector’s booklet; poster; ‘The Making of The Card Player’ featurette; ‘The Card Player’ promo; trailer; Dario Argento trailer gallery; English 5.1 and 2.0 audio options.

BUT HOW DO I WIN THIS?!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rules to follow in a moment - just as soon as I have meself a bacon sarnie! Oooh yeah!
Old 7th March 2010, 10:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Is this a ploy to buld a level of suspense here?

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 7th March 2010, 11:01 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Right! I'm back, complete with sandwich! Nom nom nom, as they say!

So, to get to the good stuff - WINNING!

Since the prize is The Card Player, this week's comp is going to involve playing with cards - a card game. A card game without any cards! Woo! Playing a card game over a forum - that's gotta be a first, right?

Anyways, here's the rules. It can get a bit hard to follow, so any questions just ask. Once we start playing, you'll get the idea soon enough - the games really simple - meant for kids. Meh.

Each player will be dealt four cards. These cards (randomly dealt from a pack of cards in front of me) will be sent to the players via PM. Only he/she will know what his/her 4 cards are.

Then, on this thread, I'll deal four more cards for everyone to see - almost like a face up pile. These 4 cards will be put into the 'MIDDLE'.

Got it so far?

Then, it's time to play the game. The first player looks at his cards (JEEZ, I'M GETTING DEJA VU HERE!) that were sent via PM and the 4 in the 'Middle'. If one of their cards is the same rank (ie, Queen, 10, Ace, 6, etc rather than suit) then they take the card from the middle and place it in their 'bundle' along with the matching card.

Right?

If there's no matches, the player has to 'trail' by placing one of their 4 (PMed to them) into the 'MIDDLE'.

Then, the next player steps in. He/she can do numerous things. If one of their cards (the PMed ones) match a player's starting card (top card - the first one) they can steal that players entire bundle. As the game goes on, this is the quickest way to get the biggest bundle. Stealing!

If none match this, then they may have a match in the 'middle'. If so, the player removes the matching card from the middle and puts it in his 'bundle' along with the matching one.

If none match at all, they place one of their 4 into the 'middle'

The next player does the same

And so on...

The 3 winners of this competition will be the 3 who have the biggest bundles by MIDNIGHT of next SATURDAY (13th) - so we have a time limit.

As mentioned earlier, stealing other peoples bundles and adding it to your own bundle is the quickest way of building up your bundle, obviously. So, in theory, at 11:59, saturday night, a player could steal a player's bundle at the last minute and WIN!

WOO!

So, to be apart of this game, simply say you want to play below. Then I'll deal out the cards via PM.

Any one can join at any time - just announce on the thread you want to play, and I'll PM you your 4 cards.

Oh, and to make things easier, each time you post - copy and paste this into your message, changing in where appropriate:

MIDDLE:

[Enter cards]

PLAYER 1'S BUNDLE:

[Enter cards]

PLAYER 2'S BUNDLE:

[Enter cards]

PLAYER 3'S BUNDLE:

[Enter cards]

etc etc.

When a player runs out of cards (his 4 PM cards), I'll deal him/her a new set of 4.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Got that?
Old 7th March 2010, 11:07 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadAlive View Post
Is this a ploy to buld a level of suspense here?
Enter high pitched violin sounds!
Old 7th March 2010, 11:12 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

On first reading I don't understand the rules at all.......... but what the hell! I'm in.

Old 7th March 2010, 11:14 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Rules NEVER make sense! No matter how simple they are

I'll explain the rules as we go along - it's really really simple to get once your playing.
Old 7th March 2010, 11:17 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

My ten year old daughter beats me at cards. My hopes are not high but this sounds like fun.

Old 7th March 2010, 11:20 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Yeah, it should be fun! I'll start PMing everyone when we get at least two more players
Old 7th March 2010, 11:43 AM
Active Cultist

Erm, I... think I get it...

I'm in, anyways.
Old 7th March 2010, 11:45 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Wooooooo!

I'll deal out the cards now then and get this game in motion!

Anyone can join at any time remember.

Like this? Share it using the links below!