Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2010

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2010, 11:15 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Weekly Comp - Cult Spaghetti Westerns Box Set! - 13/06/2010

Hello, yes it's me again with another weekly comp!

HIP HIP HORRAY!

And this week, rather than giving away a horror film, instead the prize is a box set consisting of THREE cult Italian western films.

Label: Argent Films
Release date: 21st June 2010
Release type: DVD
Certificate: 15
Running time: 300 minutes
Pricing: £24.99
Genre: Western, Cult
Director: Sergio Corbucci, Damiano Damiani, Enzo G. Castellari
Stars: Franco Nero, Gian Maria Volonte, Klaus Kinski, Lou Castel, Martine Beswick

DJANGO, A BULLET FOR THE GENERAL AND KEOMA IN ONE ESSENTIAL BOX SET COLLECTION.

The three-disc DVD box set Cult Spaghetti Westerns brings together three of the finest examples of the genre in an essential collection that includes Django, directed by Sergio Corbucci (Companeros!) and starring Franco Nero (The Mercenary), A Bullet For The General, directed by Damiano Damiani (How To Kill A Judge) and starring Gian Maria Volonte (Investigation Of A Citizen Above Suspicion) and Klaus Kinski (Footprints), and Keoma, again starring Nero and directed by his regular cohort, Enzo G. Castellari (Inglorious Bastards). Each DVD comes with a reversible sleeve featuring the original artwork of the film and an exclusive in-depth presentation of the film by acclaimed filmmaker Alex Cox (Repo Man; Sid And Nancy).

Django

One of the greatest Spaghetti Westerns ever made, and without a doubt the most influential, Sergio Corbucci's iconic masterpiece Django is a landmark piece of cinema revered by film critics and Western genre fans alike. Originally banned in several countries (and denied a certificate by the BBFC in the UK until 1993), the film made an international star of Franco Nero and, worldwide, spawned over 50 unauthorised sequels. Nero stars as Django, a mysterious lone gunfighter who arrives in a bleak, mud-drenched town only to find himself caught in the middle of a violent feud between two gangs of sadistic bandits. Beautifully shot by Enzo Barboni (who went on to direct They Call Me Trinity and its many sequels), the film also boasts a superb score by Oscar-winning composer Luis EnrÃ*quez Bacalov (Il Postino).

A Bullet For The General

A Spaghetti Western on a par with best of Sergio Leone's work, A Bullet For The General (aka Quien Sabe?) is a radical and politically committed film directed by Damiano Damiani (A Genius, Two Partners And A Dupe; Amityville II: The Possession) from a brilliantly powerful screenplay by Oscar nominee Franco Solinas (co-writer of the award-winning The Battle Of Algiers). It is the height of the Mexican Revolution and a gang of bandits led by the charismatic El Chuncho (Gian Maria Volonté) is supporting the cause by stealing weapons and selling them on to rebel General Elias (Jaime Fernández). During a daring raid on a heavily armed train, a mysterious blonde gringo, Bill Tate (Lou Castel), surprisingly assists the bandits by killing the driver and stopping the train. Nicknamed ‘Nino' by El Chuncho, Tate manages to insinuate himself into the gang, which also includes El Chuncho's brother and crazed priest, El Santo (Klaus Kinski), and the beautiful but deadly revolutionary, Adelita (Martine Beswick). But unknown to the rebels, Tate is a mercenary assassin on a mission to get close to, and kill, Elias.

Keoma

Director Enzo G. Castellari ’s (The Bronx Warriors; the original Inglorious Bastards) acknowledged masterpiece, Keoma star Franco Nero stars as the eponymous gunslinger, who on his return to his hometown finds his half brothers have joined the evil gang of a sadistic local villain. Intent on restoring justice to the town, Keoma finds himself up against Caldwell's horde of gangsters and his own flesh and blood in a deadly and ultimately tragic conflict.

The Cult Spaghetti Westerns Box Set
(cert. 15) will be released on DVD (£24.99) by Argent Films on 21st June 2010. Special Features include: exclusive in-depth presentations of the films by acclaimed filmmaker Alex Cox; exclusive interviews with Franco Nero, director Damiano Damiani and director Enzo G. Castellari; theatrical trailers; trailers for Argent Films’ other western releases.

Awesome stuff!

But how do you win it? Well, if all goes to plan, this competition could be quite an 'edge-of-the-seat' comp. Could be quite tense. Anyways, here's what will happen.

Today and tomorrow you'll need to say that you'd like to be in with a chance of winning this excellent prize. Justleave a post below saying you're in or something. You've gotta be in it to win it!

Then on tuesday, I'll split everyone into groups (depending on how many we get of course).

THEN from tuesday until sunday, I'll randomly post a question on this thread. The first person to correctly answer it (posting on here, not PM this time) will gain their team one point. The team with the most points will each win this box set!

See, it's like a big Western finale - several opposing characters against each other. Fastest finger on the trigger wins!

But beware, there will be no set times for the questions I post. So you'll not know when the next question is coming. Always be on guard, cowboys!

The winning team will be announced next sunday and this competition is open to ANYONE from ANYWHERE! The comp master's (that's me! ) decision/s is/are final.

So who wants a piece of the action? Simply say you do below, before Tuesday!

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by iluvdvds@Cult Labs; 16th June 2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 13th June 2010, 11:21 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

I'm up for this!
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 13th June 2010, 11:25 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Woo! Well, that's one!
Old 13th June 2010, 11:40 AM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

I've wanted to see Django for ages and the others look great too. Count me in for sure!!!
Old 13th June 2010, 12:10 PM
Active Cultist

Yes please!
Old 13th June 2010, 12:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'll do it.

It's a pity Argent have not included Django Kill and Texas Addios in this set.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 13th June 2010, 12:32 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

I'm in , but I don't wanna be Mr. Pink
Old 13th June 2010, 12:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I'm up for it.
Old 13th June 2010, 12:39 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Go on then, I'm in.
Old 13th June 2010, 01:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I havent seen any of these films and its a Fantastic prize to win
Id love to enter but sadly i be out all day mond, working mond night same as wed out and working. Then on early fri morn im of to ireland for a wk with work so i wouldnt be around much, so i wouldnt be much help to my team mates ,

Like this? Share it using the links below!