Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2010
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th July 2010, 11:02 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Weekly Comp - The Perfect Sleep - 18/07/2010 - FINISHED

Helloooooooooo!

It's sunday. It's the Cult Labs. That can only mean one thing...the Weekly Comps! This week's prize is the very interesting, non-horror but still amazing...

Label: Icon Home Entertainment
Release date: 26th July 2010
Release type: DVD
Certificate: tbc
Running time: 101 minutes
Pricing: £15.99
Genre: Thriller
Director: Jeremy Alter
Stars: Anton Pardoe, Roselyn Sanchez, Patrick Bauchau, Peter J. Lucas, Michael Pare

“A FANTASTIC, WONDERFUL RIDE. IT’S FILM NOIR ON CRACK.” – GARY OLDMAN.

Described by the Independent Film Quarterly as “Goodfellas meets Chinatown… [a] modern gangster masterpiece”, The Perfect Sleep, the directorial debut feature from Jeremy Alter, is a stylish, contemporary film noir that owes as much to Shakespeare (references to Hamlet, Othello and King Lear abound) as it does to the works of Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler. A co-producer of ‘Inland Empire’ and location manager on ‘Lost Highway’, director Alter also wears his Lynchian influences on his sleeve as he presents star and scriptwriter Anton Pardoe’s (himself a location assistant on ‘Lost Highway’) hard-boiled, noirish world of ruthless gangsters, femme fatales and morally unsound detectives as a dark and vivid dreamscape full of tormented characters.

In a timeless, unidentified city (which may or may not be Los Angeles), a man with no name (Pardoe) returns to the violent, brutal domain of gangsters and assassins he left ten years before, back when they dubbed him The Mad Monk for his disregard for his own life and his intense devotion to one woman, Porphyria (Roselyn Sanchez).

The girl he grew up with and the love of his life, Porphyria is now a beautiful woman - the only thing he has ever wanted and the one thing he can never have. She, alone, is the reason for his return. Her life now in danger, he is the only man who can save her. But waiting for him are several killers who would like nothing more than to see him die a painful death, while standing at their forefront is the formidable Nikolai (Patrick Bauchau), the man who raised him and just might be his father. To protect Porphyria, this unnamed man must revisit his former life of torment and torture and confront the father figure he turned his back on so many years ago.

Co-starring Roselyn Sanchez (Without A Trace), Patrick Bauchau (2012), Peter J. Lucas (Inland Empire) and Michael Pare (the Bloodrayne movies), The Perfect Sleep is a dreamy, often nightmarish, film noir enhanced by stunning cinematography, ethereal locations and a cool, atmospheric musical score by David Vanian, the frontman of punk-goth legends, The Damned.

The Perfect Sleep (cert. tbc) will be released on DVD (£15.99) by Icon Home Entertainment on 26th July 2010.

Over the past few weeks we've had quite a few sleazy titles, so this week we're going a little more 'high-brow' (which isn't saying much really ) - here is a very intelligent and stunning film! Something a bit different

So how do you win this film? Well, I'm glad you (eg I) asked! As you may have read on the brand spanking new 'What are you currently reading thread' I (was) currently reading a gamebook (a book which allows the reader to pick how the story goes where they must survive to the end of the book) And it got me thinking. Then I thunk to myself, Hey! Let's do a Cult Labs themed gamebook!

Never in the history of mankind has such a badly written book been written. But then again, I do have a word with ways.

So, below is the gamebook I have created. It tells the story of a rather obsessed film 'geek' who visits the Cult Labs forums (you) when he is suddenly sucked into the computer and must somehow make their way out of the website. It'll become clearer once you read it...probably.

However there is a slight problem. In order to do this, you have to download two things. They're completly safe and won't take up much space whatsoever. So here's a step-by-step guide...

1) Click the link HERE it'll start to download the programme needed to read the book. It's really small and won't take long - hopefully. If not you could always go to this link instead - http://drakevision.com/projects/drea...oryteller.html to download it.

2) Once that's done then it's time to get the actual story. Head to this link HERE - http://www.sendspace.com/file/tpf9ef and scroll to the bottom of the page. Then click the big DOWNLOAD button and save it. This shouldn't take too long at all.

3) Then simply find the first file you downloaded (it's called Dreampath Storyteller) start it up and you'll be presented with a stack of books. Click 'Organize Library', Find the second film you downloaded (called Weekly Comp Adventure) and click all the Oks etc.

4) Job done!

BE CAREFUL however, there's ways to die EVERYWHERE! It's a very hard gamebook in thatg respect so here's some advice;

- Make notes of what routes you take/took - that way you won't repeat the same mistakes and keep dying the same ways.

Also, this is a bit of fun, so have a laugh. The story is utter stupid (as is the writting - not to mention the punctuation and spellin ) but it's not to be taken serious. Also there's a few parts in there that may cause a bit of offense, nothing major, but I thought I'd just warn you - JUST in case.

So, stick your tongue firmly in your cheek and enjoy the book!

GOOD LUCK!

Once you make it to the end of the gamebook (it's not long, just hard) you'll be given something. PM me your answer and if it's correct you'll be entered into the prize draw next sunday. Unless of course not enough people make it that far - if that's the case, I'll put everyone who enetered into a big hat and randomly pick.

Any questions just ask!

Oh and once again, ANYONE can enter!

GOOD LUCK!

Kyle
Attached Thumbnails
Weekly Comp - The Perfect Sleep - 18/07/2010 - FINISHED-_mg_2103.jpg   Weekly Comp - The Perfect Sleep - 18/07/2010 - FINISHED-3_kids.jpg   Weekly Comp - The Perfect Sleep - 18/07/2010 - FINISHED-narratorguns.jpg   Weekly Comp - The Perfect Sleep - 18/07/2010 - FINISHED-scout.jpg   Weekly Comp - The Perfect Sleep - 18/07/2010 - FINISHED-windmill.jpg  

Last edited by iluvdvds@Cult Labs; 19th July 2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 18th July 2010, 11:03 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Oh, before anyone tries downloading them, let me just see if they all work first.
Old 18th July 2010, 11:22 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Oh I almost had a heart attack there. When all I could see is the words The Perfect... on the main page, I thought for a moment that someone had released the excellent Jeff Speakman action classic, The Perfect Weapon on dvd. My heart sank when I realised that wasn't the case.
Old 18th July 2010, 11:33 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Sorry about that Stevoj!

Mmm I'm not having much luck with this. Damnit!
Old 18th July 2010, 11:39 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Nor me. I downloaded the 2 things but can't get the program to open the Weekly Comp Adventure.
Old 18th July 2010, 11:43 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

BINGO! I think I've cracked it now. I may have accidently (and very stupidly) uploaded the wrong file)...Yeah.

So, I've edited the original post and changed the second download.

Give it a try now - lets hope that works
Sorry about that!
Old 18th July 2010, 11:50 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Perhaps I'm having a problem because of stupid windows 7. Let's see how other people get on with it.
Old 18th July 2010, 11:51 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Mmm. If not I'll just post up the html version, although that isn't as good.
Old 18th July 2010, 03:47 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

I tried installing the first program but it says I need to install net frame 4.0, I did that but it still says I need to install net frame 4.0 .

Any ideas anyone?
Old 18th July 2010, 03:56 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Well if you're still having problems then trying just downloading this: http://www.sendspace.com/file/i21hbz

Once you've got that file on your computer, it'll just use the internet to open it.

Hopefully that'll work. It doesn't look as good as the original way but if that doesn't work for you, give this way a go.

Technology eh?!

Like this? Share it using the links below!