Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2010

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2010, 01:25 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Weekly Como - Higanjima - Escape From Vampire Island - 03/10/2010 - FINISHED

Yeah, I know, I know. That title is pretty stupid. But who cares - it's a great film! And it could be all yours for diddly-squat in this week's weekly competition.

Label: Manga Entertainment
Release date: 4th October 2010
Release type: DVD, Blu-ray
Certificate: tbc
Running time: 120 mins

Pricing: DVD £15.99, Blu-ray £19.99
Genre: Eastern cinema
Director: Kim Tae-Gyun
Stars: Hideo Ishiguro, Dai Watanabe, Asami Mizukawa

“KINETIC AND ENORMOUSLY BLOODY… DAMN ENTERTAINING.” – TWITCH.

From the ‘Twilight’ movies [ ] to television’s ‘True Blood’, screen vampires have never been hotter than they are right now, so it should come as no surprise that Asian filmmakers would be keen to add a bit of spice to the genre with their own unique style and sensibilities. That’s certainly the case with Higanjima – Escape From Vampire Island, a brand new live-action horror movie based on the best-selling manga series by Koji Matsumoto, coming to DVD and Blu-ray in October 2010.

Brought to the screen by the South Korean director of ‘Volcano High’, Kim Tae-gyun, and faithfully adapted by the Japanese screenwriter of the ‘Death Note’ movies, Oishi Tetsuya, Higanjima – Escape From Vampire Island takes the vampire genre and its myths to new extremes, adding samurai sword action, undead mad scientists, fearlessly devoted vampire slayers, winged harpies, a bunch of hapless teens and, yes, a whole island chock full of vampires to its crazy mix of unadulterated, blood-splattered horror madness.

Two years after his older brother, Atsushi, goes missing under mysterious circumstances, Akira meets a beautiful young woman, Rei, who is in possession of Atsushi’s ID card and claims he is still alive and can be found on the remote, uncharted Japanese island of Higanjima. Desperate to see his brother once again and to solve the riddle of his disappearance, Akira talks several of his friends into joining him on a trip to the island in search of Atsushi.

Arriving in Higanjima on a small boat piloted by Rei, the friends are shocked to learn that they have been lured there as fodder for the island’s inhabitants, a race of extremely bloodthirsty vampires ruled by their ancient but well-preserved leader, Masa. As the vampires begin to descend upon their newly arrived prey, Akira makes a startling discovery – Atsushi really is alive and on the island, having devoted himself to becoming a vampire hunter intent on slaying Masa’s legions of the undead. Finally reunited, the two brothers and their friends join forces with two simple goals in mind – rid Higanjima of its entire vampire population and find a way to escape from the island without being bitten in the process!

Higanjima – Escape From Vampire Island (cert. tbc) will be released on DVD (£15.99) and Blu-ray (£19.99) by Manga Entertainment on 4th October 2010.

So how do three lucky people win this on either DVD or Blu-Ray? Simple! I went to see the AMAZING Back To The Future (theatrical re-release) last night. Sooo all you have to do is, if you possessed that time-traveling Delorean, where would you travel to in the past/future and what would you change? The three best answers will win this great prize!

GOOD LUCK!

Kyle
Old 3rd October 2010, 06:30 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
Sooo all you have to do is, if you possessed that time-traveling Delorean, where would you travel to in the past/future and what would you change?
I would go back in time and not save the sold called friends life who got me sacked from my job. I grabbed him and pulled him aside just before a bus would have hit him, I would go back in time and not save him. sounds harsh but f**k him, cost me a lot of mental stress.
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:53 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

there's a problem with time travel. in Back to the future 2, when marty bought the Grey's Sports almanac and had it stolen by Biff, he inadvertantly changed the future. This caused a lot of upset in the space time continum as it created a paradox. Time Travel is a pretty hard subject to touch upon as there are so many problems....But if i had to choose where to travel. i would travel back to
1985 and stop my self from eating that slug i found in the garden...
Old 4th October 2010, 12:02 PM
Active Cultist

In this particular case I would go forward in time to see which answer won this comp and then come back and post it first. (in true nature of the film..)
Old 4th October 2010, 12:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

I would go back in time and win some money gambling and then start a film studio in the 70's and agree to finance a little film called Star Wars and make sure I take a large cut from sequel rights and merchandising!
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 4th October 2010, 12:59 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthelvis View Post
I would go back in time and win some money gambling and then start a film studio in the 70's and agree to finance a little film called Star Wars and make sure I take a large cut from sequel rights and merchandising!
have you never seen back to the future 2, this is what biff did and ended up ruining current time line....

good idea though darth
Old 4th October 2010, 01:32 PM
Cultist

Go back 9 months and when she said "you don't need a condom", damn well insist on one!

(..is what I would do if I WAS in that situtation.. )
Old 4th October 2010, 05:16 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I would timetravel to the future to a time when a cure for cancer is created. I'd return with the result and treat my girlfriend Kelly's father Colin, so that he'd survive and still be with us today.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 4th October 2010, 08:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
I would timetravel to the future to a time when a cure for cancer is created. I'd return with the result and treat my girlfriend Kelly's father Colin, so that he'd survive and still be with us today.
A selfless act
Old 4th October 2010, 08:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I would travel to the year 3000 to see if global warming is real or if the goverment are just screwing money out of us.

I may also be tempted to travel to this Friday night to find out what the winning Euromillions numbers are and scoup that jackpot. i would kindly donate to Arrow so that they could get more great titles

Like this? Share it using the links below!