Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2010
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th November 2010, 11:09 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Weekly Comp - Eden Of The East - 28/11/10 - FINISHED

Yeah, I know, I know, it's an anime. But honestly, there wasn't many (read: any) horror films I could give away this week, which sucks, I know, but I'm sure there's quite a few Anime / Manga fans on the forum. And possibly a few more after this comp.

But before we get onto how to win it, here's the details of the prize:

Label: Manga Entertainment
Release date: 29th November 2010
Release type: DVD, Blu-ray
Certificate: 15

Pricing: DVD - £24.99, Blu-ray £34.99
Genre: Anime
Director: Kenji Kamiyama

“THIS IS QUITE POSSIBLY THE YEAR’S ONLY TRULY GREAT ANIME.” – ANIME NEWS NETWORK.

Kenji Kamiyama, the director of ‘Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex’ and ‘Solid State Society’ and the writer of ‘Blood: The Last Vampire’, brings his latest vision to the screen in the 11-part anime TV series Eden Of The East, coming to DVD and Blu-ray on 29th November 2010 and featuring the complete series over two discs.

Created, written and directed by Kamiyama, and the winner of numerous awards including the TV Feature Award at the 2009 Animation Kobe Festival and the Best Television Series of the Year Award at the Ninth Annual Tokyo International Anime Fair, Eden Of The East spins “a twisty tale of conspiracies and revolution that plays equally well as action vehicle, character comedy, sweet romance, or speculative near-future sci-fi” (Anime News Network).

On 22nd November 2010 Japan is struck by ten missiles, which incredibly land only in uninhabited areas and claim no victims. An apparent terrorist attack, the event is dubbed ‘Careless Monday’ by the media and is quickly disregarded by most of Japan’s populace.

Three months later, Saki Morimi, a Japanese student visiting Washington D.C. as part of a graduation trip, is almost arrested during a misunderstanding outside the White House but is rescued by a mysterious and completely naked young man, Akira Takizawa, who shows up out of nowhere with no memory and carrying a gun and a cell phone credited with 8.2 billion yen to its account.

Returning home to Japan together, Saki and Takizawa learn that a new missile has hit their country and Taki discovers that his phone is a tool in a complex political game in which he is a participant. The game involves 12 participants, each of whom possesses a cell phone that was originally credited with 10 billion yen to be spent however the respective players see fit. The object of the game is for one of them to ‘save Japan’. However, if the money is used up completely or for purely selfish purposes the player responsible will be eliminated. As the game progresses, it is revealed to Taki that it was one of the game’s participants who ordered the missile strike on Japan and that it was the events of ‘Careless Monday’ that led him to have his own memories deliberately erased…

A “freewheeling, playful new animated series featuring conspiracy theories, social commentary, action, intrigue, a desperate attempt to save Japan and a streaker flashing the White House” (Twitch) is a thrilling, compelling and almost cinematic anime series on a par with the likes of ‘Death Note’ and ‘Paranoia Agent’.

Eden Of The East (cert. 15) will be released on DVD (£24.99) and Blu-ray (£34.99) by Manga Entertainment on 29th November 2010. Special Features include: interview with director Kenji Kamiyama and character designer Chika Umino; interview with Ryohei Kimura (Takizawa) and Saori Hayami (Saki); TV spot; promotion video; English 5.1 and Japanese 5.1 (with English subtitles) audio options.

Episodes
Picked Up A Prince; Melancholy Monday; On The Night Of The Late Show; Real Reality: Fabricated Reality; This Is No Time To Be Thinking About That…; Eden Of The East; Flight Of The Black Swan; Searching For The Path Already Lost; A Man Too Ephemeral; Who Killed Akira Takizawa?; The East That Continues On.

Check out the trailer - it actually looks really good:

So, here's how to win it.

Where's the horror?! Where's the exploitation? I hear you, brother. Below are three images of three horror films. All you have to do is guess what films they are based on and PM me your message. If you get stuck, or need some clues I'll be more than happy to give you some clues. Anyone can enter and there's no limit to the amount of guesses you give.

So here's the three images:

Simple!

Now you may be wondering where these pictures are from. Well, I can't say without ruining the competition , but as soon as it's over I'll post up a link and explain more - there's so much awesome artwork. Oh, and if you do know or find out, please don't mention it until next sunday.

Well, GOOD LUCK everyone!

Kyle
Old 28th November 2010, 11:12 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

And here's some images from the film itself:

BTW -This film is also on Blu-Ray, so the three winners will get the option to pick the version they'd like.
Old 28th November 2010, 01:16 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

the second one is easy but having trouble with the first and third. Cool Prize too
Old 28th November 2010, 01:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Its the third that maybe catching me out!! could be one of two!

Bah

Old 28th November 2010, 01:23 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

You'll be kicking yourselves when you figure it out.
Old 28th November 2010, 01:57 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Got my first lot of answers in.. Pretty sure about two of em and hopefully right about the third..
Old 28th November 2010, 02:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
Got my first lot of answers in.. Pretty sure about two of em and hopefully right about the third..
Hey Blob, I reckon you are on the fence with the third one like me

Old 28th November 2010, 02:16 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargento View Post
Hey Blob, I reckon you are on the fence with the third one like me

Yep. My answer just seems too obvious to be right but you never know..
Old 29th November 2010, 06:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I deffo know no2 but struggling with the other two,
But i havent realy had a good look and think yet..
Old 5th December 2010, 10:17 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Well its time to announce the winners. I've put all those who PMed me the three correct answers in a hat and will now randomly select three very lucky winners.

Here goes...

In place is...Sargento!

position goes to...DVD Trash!

and place goes to....The Blob

Well done guys, let me know what version you'd like.

Kyle

P.S. And heres the link to the above and more amazing artwork They're from a series of books released in france with incredible artwork.

Maniac n°003 - La Collection gore et maniac Click ok on the pop up thing - oh and this is not safe for work (lots of nudity and gore)

Like this? Share it using the links below!