Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2011
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th July 2011, 10:51 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Weekly Comp - Evil Rising - 24/07/2011 - FINISHED & SENT

Hello everybody and welcome to another Cult Lab Competition!

This week's prize is the little known but brilliant horror film Evil Rising. Read on for all the details...

“A CHALLENGING AND INTELLECTUALLY STIMULATING CHILLER… THINK TARKOVSKY MEETS J-HORROR.” – BILLY CHAINSAW, BIZARRE.

The second feature from award-winning Finnish director Antti-Jussi Annila (Jade Warrior), Evil Rising is a haunting, atmospheric and thought-provoking horror movie that combines art-house cinematic style with the kind of top-notch chills and thrills that prey on the mind long after the credits have rolled.

The year is 1595 and the long and barbaric war between Russia and Sweden is finally over. During this time of welcome peace, brothers Erik and Knut are among two small groups of men commissioned to mark new borders separating Finland from Russia, an arduous task that takes them though the cold and desolate countryside. Along the way, an encounter with a man Erik believes to be a Russian sympathizer results in a brutal murder and the committing of an even worse sin by the two brothers – leaving a young girl to die a slow, horrifying death.

Later finding themselves holed up in a sparsely inhabited village situated in the middle of an uncharted swamp, Erik and Knut become haunted by a manifestation of the girl, whose presence begins to affect not only the brothers but also their colleagues and the villagers. Their only hope for salvation lies in a sauna at the heart of the village, a place where it is believed the sins of the living and the dead can be washed away. Seeking forgiveness for their transgressions, Knut [Careful how you say that!] and Erik step in…

A film about murder and revenge, sin and repentance, Evil Rising has seen director AJ Annila being hailed as “a fantastic and unexpected talent” (Cinema Verdict) and led critic Kurt Halfyard of Twitch Film to claim, “[It] deserves a place on the pedestal alongside ‘Solaris’, ‘Insomnia’, ‘The Wicker Man’ and ‘Ringu’… If I see a better flat out horror film [this year] I’ll eat my shirt.”

Evil Rising
(cert. 15) will be released on DVD (£15.99) by Matchbox Films on 25th July 2011

But how do you win it?

Well I'll keep this comp short, sweet and simple (sounds like me!). 'Tis the season for festivals - music festivals! After attending High Voltage over the weekend, this week's competition is music based.

So, if a horror character (or from a cult film, etc) where to form a band, who would be in it? What songs would they sing (real or fake)? Basically just go crazy - submit fake band names, song titles, design album covers, you could even make some music if you really want to!

The most impressive and fun entries will be selected by me at the end of the comp (sunday) and those three winners will each get themselves this film! Easy peasy!

So, good luck!

Kyle
Old 25th July 2011, 10:53 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

And just because I can....

Old 25th July 2011, 08:28 PM
Cultist

can't think of toxie making other type of music than this

bedorca likes this.
Old 25th July 2011, 09:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

band would be called

Cult Electric!
and it would feature Pinhead and Sam from Trick R Treat on Keyboards and production!
Album name would be We Are The Darksons
Tracks named: Pins & Needles, Elcetro-shox, nitemare in a damaged internet, the necromancer etc

Here is one of the tunes:

The Necromancer

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 25th July 2011, 11:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I can just imagine Boris Karloff Frankenstein's Monster rocking the speed guitar!

Just imagine if this (below) was that (above)...

Old 27th July 2011, 01:13 PM
Cult Rookie

the singer would have to be Bub the zombie and his choir flesh eaters

band name:Bub and the flesh eating choir

and there song:ARRGgghhhbrains

the album wasent finished due to every one being eaten
bedorca likes this.
Old 27th July 2011, 03:55 PM
Cultist

The Serial Killers

A band formed by a group of American friends in the early Eighties. Original lineup consisted of Freddy Krueger on guitar, Michael Myers on drums, Jason Vorhees on bass and Cropsy on vocals. Cropsy soon left the band as he felt he was burnt out and was replaced by Pinhead.
The band released their first album shortly afterwards called "Most of our sequels are crap!". It was to be their only studio release as infighting between Krueger and Vorhees
became increasingly violent leading to the group breaking up. Michael Myers went on to work with Rob Zombie and Pinhead started a steel company (specializing in chains and hooks).
Pete and Prince_Vajda like this.
Old 28th July 2011, 01:28 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDogWeTrust View Post
I can just imagine Boris Karloff Frankenstein's Monster rocking the speed guitar!

Just imagine if this (below) was that (above)...

My Frankenstein seems to have disappear...

So, Imagine if this dude ^ was doing what the dude in the video is doing!
Old 28th July 2011, 12:01 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Default The Killers Among Us

My band would consist of the following incredible musicians:

On Lead Vocals and Bass we have.... Jame 'Buffalo Bill' Gumb (from The Silence of the Lambs)
Loved equally by both men and women Jame received worldwide recognition from performing a haunting rendition of Goodbye Horses in Silence. Jame had decided there and then that music was going to be his future. He lead the way to creating the ultimate Horror band that we see here today.
The following picture was actually used as the solo album cover artwork

On Electric Guitar and backing vocals I introduce to you.... Benoit Poelvoorde (AKA Ben from Man Bites Dog)
Not only can he shred a solo on the guitar as good as shredding a victim with a knife, he is also the lyrical genius behind the bands 'soulless' songs. This guy knows his words and can charm any unsuspecting girl to their grave end.
Here we have a picture at The Killers Among Us opening headline show where he demonstrates his Air Guitar skills (Ben had originally won the French Air Guitar Championship before being scouted by Jame to then become a key member of the band)

Smashing their way on Drums is.... Madman Marz (from Madman)
Joined the band because of his brute strength and ability to crash and bash anything in his path. He's a very heavy drummer and manages to break a drumkit at every gig the band perform. I've been told that the cost of continuosly replacing the drumkits outways the constant legal fees for the alleged murders of groupies on every tour (No one has officially been found guilty....yet)
This picture is taken from the unveiling of their single Still A Madman (their biggest selling single to date, some say due to the threat that whoever didn't buy it would "disappear from the face of this Earth")

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 31st July 2011, 12:11 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Time's up guys!

Excellent entries as per usual but only three people can win and those are...

Drugula!

Nekromantik!

Antmumford!

Well done guys

Kyle

Like this? Share it using the links below!