Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2011

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st July 2011, 01:49 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Weekly Comp - Hobo With A Shotgun - 31/07/2011 - FINISHED & SENT

Hello everyone!

Fancy winning the fantastic ultra-violent throwback film, Hobo With A Shotgun - the film every cult fan is talking about? Then this is the place for you!

“A DEMENTED SLICE OF B-MOVIE MAYHEM. GET SOME!” (FOUR STARS) – DAN BRIGHTMORE, LOADED.

It began as an award winning “fake” Grindhouse trailer that embodied the genre far more successfully than anything produced by Quentin Tarantino (Death Proof) and Robert Rodriguez (Planet Terror) and became an internet sensation via YouTube. Now, Hobo With A Shotgun, director Jason Eisener’s affectionate and remarkably authentic tribute to the exploitation movies of the 1970s and 80s, is a full-on, no-holds-barred, kick-ass movie that Leon Poultney of Zoo magazine has called “the most brilliantly disturbing film I’ve seen in years.”

Starring Rutger Hauer (Blade Runner; Sin City; The Hitcher) in the title role and inspired by exploitation classics such as “Street Trash” and “The Exterminator” amongst others, Hobo With A Shotgun goes one better than recent homages to the genre such as “Machete” and “Drive Angry” by being “the only recent example of cinematic retro-sleaze that could plausibly be mistaken for a piece of straight-to-video nastiness that has been collecting dust on a shelf since 1983” (Eye Weekly).

When an ageing Hobo (Hauer) jumps from a freight car in a new city hoping for a fresh start in life, he soon realizes he has well and truly reached the end of the line. He finds himself trapped in an urban hell, an anarchic world overrun by murderers, rapists, paedophiles, petty crooks, prostitutes and corrupt cops. Reigning supreme over them all is the city’s crime boss, Drake (Brian Downey), and his two insanely sadistic sons, Slick (Gregory Smith) and Ivan (Nick Bateman). All the Hobo wants is to be able to afford to buy a second-hand lawn mower from the local pawnshop, start his own small business and make the city a more beautiful place. But a run-in with Slick and Ivan while trying to rescue pretty hooker-in-distress Abby (Molly Dunsworth) changes all that. Pushed beyond his limits, he decides to arm himself and go about changing things in an entirely different way to mowing lawns.

An unmissable tour-de-force of gratuitous violence, gore and bloody mayhem, Hobo With A Shotgun is “a brilliantly crafted cacophony of sex and violence” (Four Stars - Chris Tilly, IGN) and “is so incredibly over the top with its excess, fans of the genre are going to be bowing to it” (Slashfilm).

Momentum Pictures will be releasing Hobo With A Shotgun (cert. 18) at UK cinemas on 15th July 2011. The DVD (£15.99) and Blu-ray (£19.99) will follow on 1st August 2011. Special Features include: Commentary with cast and crew; deleted scenes; trailer; The Making of Hobo With A Shotgun and alternate ending.

I'll post the rules up once I piece the ideas for the comp I have togehter. In the meantime here's a joke I used to tell way back in secondary school about tramps....

A dirty-ridden hobo suddenly rushes into the local chip shop shouting at the top of his voice, 'Quick! Quick! Gimme a chip fork! Gimme a chip fork!" Scared, the owner tosses him a wooden fork. The tramp snatches it and charges back out the door.

A few minutes later another hobo bursts in. "Quick! Quick! Gimme a chip fork! A chip fork!" The owner, confused, hands the urine-smelling tramp a fork. He runs out screaming.

About 5 minutes pass when the shop's doors burst open again as another tramp sprints in, out of breath. "Quick! Quick! Gimme a straw! Gimme a straw!"

"A straw?" replies the owner, "whats happening out there?"

As the hobo grabs a straw and flees he shouts back "Some old guy's just been sick and all the best bits have been taken."

Ah-thank you. You've been a lovely audience - drive safely now. I'll get my coat.

The rules will hopefully be posted up later today once I figure it out. Ciao for now!

Kyle
Attached Thumbnails
Weekly Comp - Hobo With A Shotgun - 31/07/2011 - FINISHED & SENT-b548536_3pa.jpg   Weekly Comp - Hobo With A Shotgun - 31/07/2011 - FINISHED & SENT-b554923_2pa.jpg  
Old 31st July 2011, 06:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Never heard that joke before Kyle....I may use it
Old 31st July 2011, 06:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

What a sick joke Kyle.
Old 31st July 2011, 08:17 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Well, if there's one thing the Comp Corner is, it's sophisticated. High art even. Everything is done in the best possible taste!

I mean, take this competition for example. It's all about tramps, booze, drugs and rearranging vomit. This is work Shakespeare would be proud off!

What am I yapping on about? Well the rules of course! And here they are...

Hobos. Tramps. Bums. Down and Outs. Homeless. Whatever you call them, you are one (for the purpose of this competition, at least) and like good ol' Rutger, you're pretty peed off about your situation and the scumbags that constantly walk past you every day as you sit in your sleeping back smelling of god knows what. But not for longer! You've got your eyes set on a shotgun - a shotgun to blast all your hates, fears and peeves to kingdom come. But first, you need to work to get that boomstick. So, along with your trusty labrador and trolley full of junk, you must fight all the other bums to claim that shotgun - and a DVD/BR of Hobo With A Shotgun (naturally!).

But how I hear you groan through your rugged beard as you spray your un-minty germs in passer-bys faces. Well.....

Like all good tramps, you believe the answer lies in booze. And it does...to an extent.

For the first half of the comp, you must get as much money pocketed in order to buy yourself some booze. And the only logical way to do that is, of course, by playing hangman.

...yeah

So until thursday, this competition will be one big ol' game of Hang Man. I'm sure you're all familar with the rules for that game. I'll start it off with a film title that you have to guess. This one...

_ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _

Then you guess what the film is by asking whether a certain letter is in the title. If it is, the letter you got right will be added to the above answer and you'll earn yourself 1p for every time that letter is used. So for instance if you asked for the letter N if that film was King Kong, you would get 2p for getting 2 N's correct.

Nothing happens if you get the letter wrong - that's just too much work/hassle. If it's not there, say for instance Z is not in King Kong, then it simply plays like Hangman.

But you can only submit ONE letter at a time. You cannot submit another letter until your letter has been dealt with otherwise it'll be a little bit mental.

If you correctly guess the title first before anyone else, you earn however many p's are left on the board (the '_' without any letters at that time) and get the chance to run the next round.

Sounds complicated - but it's really just a game of hangman!

With every 20p you get a bottle of alchohol - cheap stuff! The people with the most bottles of booze (depending on numbers) at the end of thursday will be able to drink their booze and vomit the contents of your stomach up for the 2nd half of this word comp. It's very easy - I'll explain that on Thursday though.

Oh and if no body guesses your round correctly before the man is hung, then you earn youself a bottle of booze and run the next round too.

I've also attached the 6 stages of the hangman too.

So, start guessing the letters -

_ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _

Kyle
Attached Thumbnails
Weekly Comp - Hobo With A Shotgun - 31/07/2011 - FINISHED & SENT-1.jpg   Weekly Comp - Hobo With A Shotgun - 31/07/2011 - FINISHED & SENT-2.jpg   Weekly Comp - Hobo With A Shotgun - 31/07/2011 - FINISHED & SENT-3.jpg   Weekly Comp - Hobo With A Shotgun - 31/07/2011 - FINISHED & SENT-4.jpg   Weekly Comp - Hobo With A Shotgun - 31/07/2011 - FINISHED & SENT-5.jpg  

Weekly Comp - Hobo With A Shotgun - 31/07/2011 - FINISHED & SENT-6.jpg  
Old 31st July 2011, 08:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

I'll have an E please Kyle.
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 31st July 2011, 08:40 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

_ _ E / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _

Darthelvis = 1p
Old 31st July 2011, 08:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

A nice cuppa T would be awesome, I'm a civilised bum after all!
Old 31st July 2011, 08:43 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthelvis View Post
A nice cuppa T would be awesome, I'm a civilised bum after all!
T _ E / _ _ _ T / _ _ _ _

Darthelvis - 3p

There you are me ol' mucka
Old 31st July 2011, 08:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I'm just getting over my addiction to the big H, but one last hit would be alright wouldn't it.
Old 31st July 2011, 08:51 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthelvis View Post
I'm just getting over my addiction to the big H, but one last hit would be alright wouldn't it.
T H E / _ _ _ T / _ _ _ _

Oh and did I mention, fellow bums, for every correct film you get a bottle of booze.

Like this? Share it using the links below!