Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2011
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st August 2011, 10:30 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Weekly Comp - High School Of The Dead (DVD or Blu-Ray) - 21/08/2011 - FINISHED

Hello again!

It's me here with yet another weekly competition. This week we're giving away some zombie goodness. Manga style! Here's all the info...

FROM THE DIRECTOR OF “DEATH NOTE”.

Based on the hit manga series written by Daisuke Sato and illustrated by Shoji Sato, the zombie apocalypse saga High School Of The Dead is brought to the screen as “an overly-sexualised and wonderfully violent” anime series that more than earns its 15 certificate with its very strong language, gratuitous nudity and graphic violence.

Produced by Madman and directed by Tetsuro Araki (Death Note; Black Lagoon) the series was perfectly summed up by Wired magazine in a review that claimed, “Had a sexually-tense George A. Romero set ‘Dawn of the Dead’ in a Japanese school, it would probably resemble High School Of The Dead.”

A seemingly ordinary day at Fujimi High School rapidly descends into a terrifying nightmare and a deadly fight for survival for a group of teenage students who find themselves caught up in the chaos caused by an outbreak of a new disease that turns its victims into ravenous, flesh-eating zombies. Forced to slay large numbers of their teachers and fellow students just to escape the confines of the school, they soon learn that the outbreak is not only a local or even national problem but also a global one.

As the pandemic rages out of control, society begins to collapse and everyday moral codes begin to crumble. Now it is up to Takashi Komuro to unite the small group of school friends and other survivors and lead them on a journey that they hope will take them to a place of safety beyond this new world of the living dead.

A must-see anime for all horror fans, High School Of The Dead is a fast-paced, shocking and ultra-violent thrill-ride of which Anime News Network wrote: "Other recent zombie works in Western entertainment have tried to play it ironic, or postmodernist, or just plain silly, but this one goes for straight-up horror—and pulls it off admirably."

High School Of The Dead: The Complete Series Collection
(cert 15) will be released on DVD (£24.99) and Blu-ray (£34.99) by Manga Entertainment on 29th August 2011. Special Features include: clean opening; clean closing; English 5.1 and Japanese 2.0 (with English subtitles) audio options.

Episodes
Spring Of The Dead; Escape From The Dead; Democracy Under The Dead; Running In The Dead; Streets Of The Dead; In The Dead Of The Night; Dead Night And The Dead Ruck; The Dead Way Home; The Sword And The Dead; The Dead’s House Rules; Dead Storm Rising; All Dead’s Attack

But how do win this incredible flesh-eating prize? Simple!

This week's competition is nice and straight forward. All you need to do is head back to your days in school (or when you were younger) and post an anecdote that happened to you (or someone you knew) during that time. It can be funny, naughty, rude...whatever. The three best entries by the end of this competition - Sunday the 28th will win themselves this almighty undead box set! Hows about that!

Oh and it's just a bit off fun, hopefully people will comment on other people's stories, etc.

To kick it off, I'll post a little antidote from my skooldayz - just to get the ball rolling and to give you an idea of what to write.

Kyle
Attached Thumbnails
Weekly Comp - High School Of The Dead (DVD or Blu-Ray) - 21/08/2011 -  FINISHED-hs01_010a1.jpg   Weekly Comp - High School Of The Dead (DVD or Blu-Ray) - 21/08/2011 -  FINISHED-hs03_053.jpg  

Last edited by iluvdvds@Cult Labs; 21st August 2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 21st August 2011, 10:46 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

So here's my story - I'm sure you can come up with something better.

During secondary school I used to be a part of a drama group. It was one particularly hot day and we were all gathered on the grass while one by one we'd go into the hall and do our audition piece for the next show (we had just that weekend finished one). Anywho, a friend of mine and I came across a dead frog in the grass which had not only cooked in the heat so much that it's guts spewed out or it's stomach, but it was rotten and maggoty and..well not very pleasant. Obviously, there's only one thing to do with a dead rotten frog - throw it at each other. Then I got the (not very bright and rather mean) idea to play a little practical joke. This girl had gone into the hall to do her piece and I thought it would be rather funny to stick the disgusting dead amphibion in her bag, which she had left out in the sun. With the aid of a couple of sticks, we picked up the frog and chucked into her bag.

Now we just sit and wait. And laugh.

About an hour later, a group of us gathered on the grass for a chat and some lunch. My friend and I were nearly dying trying not to laugh and spoil the prank. This girl dug down into her bag to pull out some lunch and low and behold to her surprise she was greated with a vomit-inducing frog cadaver complete with squirming larvae and spilled intestines. Screaming like I've never heard before she jumped so high off the ground I'm surprised she came back down! Us two were just about to burst out laughing when she started to cry - like proper cry. And everyone around us were shocked and disgusted. Whoops. "Who the hell did this?!" everyone started shouting...including us.

This was made all the worse when, still crying, she pulled out a beautiful white dress she had packed for the after show party we were having after the audition. Of course, this was completly ruined, smeared with frog blood and guts.

So me and my mate had to pretend to know nothing about it, hold it our fits of laughter and wonder how could've done it whilst insinuating it was probably the guy we didnt really like. Then the teacher came out, super angry threatening to cancel the party and the next show if nobody owned up. We sat in silence as everyone tried to figure it out. Of course we never confessed. And to this day no one knew it was us - though I'm sure they did but didn't want to say.

Yep That's my anecdote - just a little example.

Now get to it!
stefanmetal likes this.
Old 21st August 2011, 11:11 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

French lessons, age 13 through 16.

A new teacher, female, early 20s, extremely seductive, and with the most magnificent pair of breasts God ever created for a male teenage audience. Sitting there twice weekly for four years, a front row seat, testosterone flowing, staring at those mammarian giants, it was a wonder I ever passed my French O level. But I did, with a B grade, and I know for certain the French teacher was aware of my sly glances and sustained appreciation of her choice in revealing low cut tops.

How do I know? She told me.

Not then, but almost 30 years later, when I became a teacher and began teaching at the same school she did! She'd worn well, looked very nice for a lady in her mid-50s, and still had a magnificent, sturdy pair of appealing breasts.

"Still ogling my tits then Andy?" was her icebreaker.
Baseball Fury likes this.
Old 21st August 2011, 01:32 PM
Cultist

One of my friends shit in this other kids pencil case and he was called poocase perry after that!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.656227,-0.277617
pedromonkey likes this.
Old 21st August 2011, 01:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

This is a great idea for a weekly comp Kyle, It's going to be super fun reading peoples entries.

It's actually quite ironic that this is the weekly comp though, I've been thinking about this stuff lately. I am planning on moving at the end of the year to the area I grew up in and in the last few weeks I have found several old friends on Facebook whom I knew when I was in Primary school. I have been talking with these old friends, Reminiscing of our younger days, Which has had me thinking lately about things that happened in my life when I was younger. I keep thinking about this one thing in particular...

It must have been in about 3rd grade because my 2nd grade girlfriend had moved to another school at that point so I would have been about 8 or 9 years old. There was this fairly new girl at school...She was so beautiful, I had the biggest crush on her. The only thing is she was dating the ruff, tough, popular football jock. Yes that's right, I was the dorky outsider who listened to punk music, read comics and played a f**k tonne of video games and I had a crush on the hottest girl in school who was taken by the head football jock.

I wanted to tell her how I felt so bad but I was too scared, So what's the obvious solution...Write an anonymous love letter of course. I have no idea what I was thinking but I did write the letter and slipped it into an envelope with this girls name written in fancy writing with a brown marker on the front (brown marker, not very fancy i know). I was planning on taking the letter into the classroom before class started and leaving it on her chair but I actually wasn't sure which chair she sat on, so I decided to leave in on someone else's chair. There was a set of twins who were actually the children of one of the teachers...Rory was one of them and I forget the others name but I decided to leave the letter on Rory's chair because I knew he was a kind honest person and since it had this girls name on the front I assumed he would just take the letter straight to the girl. Of course that's not what happened.

I don't remember anything else up until lunch. I remember I was hanging out with some friend on the playground as we did and seeing the big ruff, tough, popular football jock boy with my love letter and he was reading it out aloud. I quickly jumped off the platform on the playground I was on and ran over to the group of him and his friends. I looked at the letter just to double check if it was mine...It was! I then actually spoke to him and tried to act like I didn't know who had written it and I said "We need to find out who wrote it!" like I assumed we were going to go on a Batman and Robin hunt and look for clues or something, Which obviously didn't happen but instead, just like in the movies, he grabbed me by the collar of my t-shirt, picked me up and then threw me down onto the ground. I'm not sure exactly what happened after that but I assume he realized that it was my letter and he went and told everyone or something.

I actually found out later that what had happened was after I had put the letter onto Rory's chair, Someone else had come into the class room before class started... The scroungy kid who didn't have a good home life or much money who everyone hated but if you spoke bad to him he would mess you up. He had actually found the letter and taken it the bathrooms where he opened it and read it. After reading it he handed it over to the football jock, Maybe in an attempt to score popularity points or something. In the end nothing really happened and I think a few months later I unexpectedly moved houses and schools so I never got to tell the girl how I actually felt to her face but as I said at the beginning I am planning on moving back down to that area so I plan on actually becoming Batman this time and going on the hunt to find this girl and finding out what she has been up to the past 10 years, Maybe she will be just as beautiful as I remember her! Wish me luck guys!

Last edited by InDogWeTrust; 21st August 2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 22nd August 2011, 07:53 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

When I was 13, we all played the hell out of Tetris. Game Boys (the old ones!) had been out a while, and me and a few mates bought one each from the local secondhand shop for a few quid for some (to us) retro goodies. We played Tetris for weeks, every lunch time, every break, in bed, all the time.

We had a high score that the group would strive to beat, and who ever had the high score got to keep hold of the Pamela Anderson 'Best of Playboy' VHS. Ahem.

Anyway, one of us had the high score for weeks, no-one could touch it. We accused him of getting his older brother to do it, his Mum, somehow cheating it, anything to admit that he wasn't better than us, because we couldn't get near it. One Sunday, my mate Matt decides he's going to do it. He's going to smash that score if it takes him all day.

About 11.30, he's in the zone. He's smashing it, when all of a sudden, the familiar stomach pressure starts. He needs the drop the kids off. Rather than stop (he's in the zone after all) he decides to carry on dropping blocks whilst, well, dropping blocks.

He's sat on the loo, smashing Tetris. Line after line is disappearing, bang, bang, bang, bang. He's getting near that score, he's close... just a few more lines. Bang, bang, bang, he's done it! He lets out a massive cheer and jumps up....

and realises his legs are dead (it's been about 3 hours since the evacuation).

The legs buckle, he trips in his shorts, flies forward and smashes his face on the bath.

A broken nose, 3 broken teeth and 2 smashed lips later, he took permanent ownership of the mighty VHS and the title of Tetris Champion. He earned it.
Old 22nd August 2011, 01:37 PM
Active Cultist

at eleven years old we were thrust in to secondary school and for the first time were forced to take communal showers. our p.e. teacher mr pavee (known to us as pervy pavee, or rubik cube on account of his square head) would stand at the entrance to the shower barking at any timid young lad who had neglected to remove every stitch of clothing before entering, even going as far as to force us to open our towels to show we had no pants on underneath.
as you may imagine, a group of 11 year olds are not going to be developing at the same rate, so this is a particularly sadistic age to force kids to derobe in front of their schoolmates, let alone with an aging peadophile observing their every move.
i found this so tortuous that i did everything i could to avoid p.e. and the dreaded shower, but some days it couldn't be avoided. i can still see his leering face looking me up and down while i held my towel open under duress.
fortunately a lad in the year above me told his mother what was happening, and she marched into the school and threatened to stab pavee to death if he ever looked at another child in the shower. she screamed this at him in front of alot of people, and he looked suitibly sheepish. he never so much as entered the changing room again, and shortly after i left school i heard he died of a heart attack. ah, school, the best years of our lives.
Baseball Fury likes this.
Old 22nd August 2011, 02:04 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I used to live in Stoke on Trent, which some of you may know looks like the zombie apocalypse has already happened.

My friend was pretty nifty on his bike, so we decided to make a video of him doing his bike skills. Being the over-zealous wannabe filmmaker who loved Bad Taste and Braindead I was keen to work in some undead action, so I got him to persuade his friend to come along and be a zombie he could kill whilst doing bike stunts in an abandoned quarry. We went out very early one morning and broke into an abondoned factory and got some cool shots, and moved on to the quarry for the zombie showdown. Then it turned out his friend couldn't come, so I figured I would get my friend to play the zombie AND the zombie-hunter, in a bit of creative editing. I was way out of my league.

Instead of the traditional bullet to the head, I decided what would look really good would be if we set the zombie on fire. Having had an accident in the science lab at school where we discovered that if you pour meths on yourself whilst it's on fire, it just burns up and goes out without causing pain or scars, we figured that would work just fine here. However, what I didn't consider was that my zombie costume consisted of a 1970s polyester shirt, which of course melts at high temperatures. If we'd poured the meths on to my friend's bare skin and lit it that would have been fine.

We both had so many opportunities to change our minds, but plowed on regardless of health and safety, or just basic common sense. To add insult to injury I made him take a mouthful of milk just before I set fire to his arm, for him to spew out on camera.

My final words to him were "I'll do this, so that no one else can get the blame if it goes wrong". Noble indeed.

I set fire to his meths-soaked arm, the shirt melted and fused to his skin and he ran around screaming "Get it off me! Get it off me!" Luckily the fire went out pretty quickly but the damage was done.

Needless to say an afternoon in casualty put pay to any further filming of our zombie epic, and to this day he has to shave off all the hairs on his left arm so that it matches his still bald right arm.

If only I'd had access to CGI special effects then, we could have done as much fire as we'd liked with no ill effects. The moral of this story is, don't let your artistic vision prevent you from thinking clearly about what kind of crap you're actually trying to pull off!
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

We had a woodwork teacher he was actualy quite dozy, He was extremely forget full. Always fall asleep etc etc..So we always use to play tricks on him, things like when he nod off all go back outside classroom and stand there and pretend he forgot about us, He always use to boil the kettle and fall asleep so we put the kettle under his chair and let all the steam rise then shout sir there"s a fire, Any how if any one got detention he would write the names on blackboard and at end of lesson he look and say who got detention, One day he put my name up not long after he went out the classroom with the so called swat so i rubbed my name of and put this lads name on..he hadnt noticed so when at end of the lesson he was reading out who got detention this lad didnt realise he was on the board till he read his name out, And he was sir i havent got detention etc etc , Teacher was like shut up boy your name"s on the board you got detention he tried argueing his case and teacher just turned round and said you can also have 500 lines for argueing with me..
Old 23rd August 2011, 09:04 AM
Seasoned Cultist

When I was 14 my form tutor was also my history teacher. Whilst we were waiting for him to arrive for our history lesson, someone drew a sheep on the blackboard. Now this teacher was something on the short side, and I got it in my head that it would be funny to add a depiction of him on the board. I drew a rather explicit picture of him at the back end, shagging the sheep. Across the top I wrote "Mr Heathcote's Guide to Bestiality" and sat back down, proud of my handiwork.

When he arrived he took one look at the board and glanced around the room. Nobody said anything, and I looked distracted and innocent. He said "oh dear", wiped it off the board and carried on with the lesson.

Buoyed by my sense of victory, a couple of weeks later I drew a picture of him fondling the udders of a cow on the same blackboard.

Karma being what it is, I am now a teacher.

Like this? Share it using the links below!