Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2011
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st September 2011, 02:39 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Super Comp - Twilight Zone Vol. 4 - 21/09/2011 - FINISHED

"There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition. And, it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call The Twilight Zone and you can win it by entering Kyle's Competition on Cult Labs." - Rod Serling.

That's right - to celebrate the release of Twilight Zone Vol. 4 we're giving away 2 copies on either DVD or Blu-Ray (depending on the winner's choice!).

How do you win?

Well very simply! All you need to do is answer the following question/s, post your reply below and Bob's your mum's brother. The funniest most imaginative entries will be put into a draw and two names will be randomly selected.

As always anyone can enter and you can submit as many entries as you like (the more you submit, the more chance you have of winning!).

So here's that all important question:

If you were to make an episode of The Twilight Zone...

a) What would it be called?
b) Who would star in it?
c) When would it be set?
and d) write a very short plot of the episode. Don't forget the twist if you can fit one in.

Be as imaginative, as crazy and as funny as you like!

GOOD LUCK!

This competition will end next sunday (2nd of October).

Of course you could always just get it from Amazon!
Kyle Serling

Last edited by iluvdvds@Cult Labs; 21st September 2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 21st September 2011, 04:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Apologies if it's a bit long!

Episode – Gods Work

Starring – Christian Slater, John Goodman, Lena Headey, John Lithgow.

Setting – 1930’s American south

Plot – Leonard Shepherd (Slater), a priest adored for helping his local community through tough financial times, working in a small town in the American south. The church however is in dire financial straits, so Leonard is looking through the old possessions there collecting things for a yard sale. He finds a beautiful ornate box in a dusty back room in his church. He cleans it up and tries to look inside, but it seems to be sealed shut, so he leaves it and forgets about it.
Later that week, a man (Lithgow) comes to his confessional and asks him if he found the box. Confused, Leonard begins to ask him how he knows, but is interrupted by The Man. The Man tells him that they have been watching him for a while, and are pleased with the work he is doing in their name. He tells him that the box will open for him now, and it should give him whatever he desires when he looks in the mirror encased within the lid. He is warned that if the person opening isn’t on a true path however, looking in the mirror will do nothing but deliver ‘their’ anger. The Man leaves before Leonard can question him.

Hours later, Leonard wakes up in the confessional booth. Confused, he searches the booth and the church for any sign of his visitor, before concluding that he fell asleep and dreamt the whole thing due to being exhausted.

When he gets to bed that night, he tries to tell his wife (Healey) all about his weird dream, but she just interrupts him, nagging and bullying him like she always does until he gives up and just takes it like always. Leonard is a broken man away from the church, and helping his community is the only thing that gives him joy anymore. That night alone in bed (his wife is out – again), he can’t stop thinking about his dream and the box that he found. To satisfy his curiosity and to switch off his brain, he digs out the box again, only this time it opens! Looking into the mirror, Leonard feels his pulse racing, his stomach full of butterflies, a tingle in the groin, just pure elation. He shuts the box, almost dropping it. It was true! He sits down, steels himself, opens up the box again and stares.

The next day, a representative from the bank calls him and explains that $250,000 has been donated anonomously to the church, with a note saying that it was in recognition of Father Shepherd’s ‘pure’ work. Leonard is in shock during the call, but can’t stop staring at the box.

We come back to the town months later and it is prospering due to a record high harvest and the discovery of oil in derelict farmland belonging to a local family. Leonard is nationally recognised within the church as a good Samaritan, a priest at the heart of his community, and the church is rammed, week in, week out.

He is visited by his local bishop (Goodman), who asks him how he’s managed so much in what was such a desolate town. Overcome with religious joy, Leonard explains about the box, the visitor and the first donation. The bishop, tired with Leonard’s games, criticises his mocking of him and gets up to leave. Aghast at this, Leonard asks him to look at the box. The Bishop opens the box, glances himself in the mirror and tears roll down his cheeks. Moments later, he drops dead of a massive heart attack. Confused as to why the box would punish a man of God, and blaming himself for the Bishop’s death, he locks the box away in his draw, vowing to never open it again.

Some time later, it is revealed that when the Bishops things were being put in order, they discovered letters and photos relating to an unidentified sex scandal. Leonard reads this with amazement, thinking back to what he was told about being on a true path, and realises that the box is safe for him to use again.

A few years have passed, and his town has been really booming, but things are starting to turn sour in the run up to US involvement in World War II. Church attendance is down, and the church itself sits neglected. Leonard has aged terribly, he is depressed and lonely. His wife is his wife in name only, and she has a reputation for sleeping around, latching on to every rich developer that comes to town. After years of belittlement and her refusal to acknowledge the good that he has done, they barely speak, communicating only when she nags him to cook and clean for her. After a particularly huge argument about her affairs, she storms out. Leonard wearily heads to his office and starts looking at the financial paperwork and doing the sums. He goes to get up and get the box to fix more problems when he hears his wife come home laughing. As he dares tell no one about the box since the Bishop incident, he quickly shuts it away in a draw. His wife bundles into the room, drunk, accompanied by a handsome young man. She mocks Leonard openly, calling him an ‘impotent choir boy’ and showing her disgust, whilst telling Leonard all the things that the young man can do for her that he can’t. She finishes her insults and demands to know where the keys for his car are, as she intends to go back out dancing and her car now smells of sex.

Leonard looks at the numbers on his desk with doomed sadness, knowing that he will never be able to get help again as his heart is no longer pure, as he tells his wife that the car keys are in the box inside his desk draw.

The end.
antmumford likes this.
Old 22nd September 2011, 08:52 AM
Active Cultist

That's really good.

I have been racking my brain all day trying to come up with something for this. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be.
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:43 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Cheers man!
Old 22nd September 2011, 01:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I'm tempted to have a go at this, but I think given my success in previous TZ comps on here I think it would be a little unfair. Someone else should really get a chance to win one!

Unless by Saturday night I change my mind of course...
Old 22nd September 2011, 01:56 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouserpress View Post
I'm tempted to have a go at this, but I think given my success in previous TZ comps on here I think it would be a little unfair. Someone else should really get a chance to win one!

Unless by Saturday night I change my mind of course...
Haha. Didn't you win season 1 and then season 1-3 on top of that?
Old 22nd September 2011, 02:06 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Season 2, then Seasons 1-3. Lucky boy. Still, I've only had Season 1 so far. Waiting for the others to surprise me in the post one day!
PaulD likes this.
Old 24th September 2011, 02:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Episode- The Lost

Starring- Kurt Russell, Robert Patrick, Bruce Campbell, Jon Lovits, Adam West (Oh my god that would be an amazing line-up)

Setting- The Roswell Desert

Plot- A man (Bruce Campbell) disappears whilst driving through the desert just outside of Roswell, New Mexico. Two FBI agents (Kurt Russell & Robert Patrick) come to town to investigate the peculiar disappearance.

While investigating, The agents come across a tourist shop called ''UFO's 'R' Us''
The agents enter the shop to see if they can uncover any evidence about supposed 'Aliens' and abductions. They talk to the man behind the counter (Jon Lovits) to them he just seems crazy. The man tells the agents of UFO and Alien sitings and tells the agents he has even seen them himself.

The FBI agents continue their investigation but little to their knowledge are being mislead by the Town Mayor (Adam West).

The investigation is dragged out for weeks when one of the agents (Robert Patrick) starts to have night mares and starts sleep walking...Almost like he is awake and he is seeing things out at night. Unsure if he is dreaming or not the agent panics and starts investigating harder, Asking everyone in town what they know. Shouting at them, Becoming very aggressive.

Eventually he starts uncovering the truth....The truth that he is actually one of the 'Aliens'.

Then like something out of a David Lynch film, A bright Light appears and the other agent (Russell) is almost blinded. After a few seconds...Which seem like a life time to the agent, The light disappears and everyone in the town except for him are gone...Even the other agent (Patrick). He is then seen walking down an empty street from a crane shot.

End credits.

I couldn't be bothered writing every little detail but the story line would obviously be more beefy.

Oh also i've only ever seen a few episodes of the Twilight Zone (and of course the movie) so I kind of thought about it for more of an X-Files approach but i'm sure it would still work as a Twilight Zone episode.
Baseball Fury likes this.
Old 1st October 2011, 12:15 AM
Cultist

Episode: The ID

Starring: Roy Scheider (if still alive), Edwige Fenech

Setting: A hospital

A man, Pete, (Scheider) awakes himself in a room in a hospital, covered almost entirely with bandages, excepts his face, obviously he can't move a single inch of his body. The only thing he remembers is that one day, he had a fight with his girlfriend Shirley and left her home to breathe some fresh air. Then, its the hospital. Try yourselves to imagine this plot with the camera from Pete's side, as if the cameraman was Roy Scheider himself.

Quietly, enters a man to his lonely room. Its himself, or at least a man who looks EXACTLY like himself, even with the same clothes he has been wearing the day of the quarrel. He starts to talk to the original (or fake?) hospitalized Roy Scheider like old time friends, who eventually can't do anything but hearing.

The new man seems to know every single detail of his life, in fact, maybe he is allucinating and the man who is talking to him is not really there. Could be the sleeping pills, or all the drugs doctors gave him to ease pain.

Suddenly, his girlfriend Shirley enters the room abruptly in tears. Now, that is real, he can't be allucinating that. He seems to look to Scheider's bed, and burst into tears more passionately than before. In the middle of the cry, she can be heared pronouncing the name of "Robert".

They talk some things about a man called Robert Rogers. Pete remembers this name, its Shirley's father. After a while, she kisses the guy (if Pete could move that man will be eating his firsts by now)who tells her he will stay all night at the hospital, then leaves the room more sad than when she rushed into.

The conversation continues until a pair of doctors rush into the room. The don't say a damn word. Pete is yelling at them, he wants answers now, what is happening here? who is this copy-of-himself guy? unfortunately for him, they can't hear him.

They start to pull his bed out of the room, as if he was going to some surgery room. He is not going to a surgery room, but to the local morgue. He knows its the morgue because all the walls with squared freezers. It must be the morgue, its just like the movies. Surprisingly, along with the two doctors, this clone-of-himself guy is walking right next the bed.

Finally in the morgue, he sees an empty hole, he wishes its not for him, for god's sake! he is not dead! He notice then his toe, it has some kind of card attached to it by a thread. That cannot be a good thing, in the movies that card identifies the corpses. He can see the doctor detaching the card and wriiting something on it. It now reads "Robert Rogers. Deceased". "What the hell?"

Pete is locked up in the hole.

SO:
more details, less details, this is the main argument. The twist of the story could be anything, from super-conspiracy-identity-theft, to death, to reincarnation, to anything. You consider the one you like the best.
Old 1st October 2011, 01:59 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drugula View Post
Starring: Roy Scheider (if still alive)
Roy Scheider unfortunately passed away in i think 2008.

Doesn't mean The Twilight Zone can't have a ghost in the cast though

Like this? Share it using the links below!