Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2012
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th February 2012, 12:56 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Weekly Comp - Holy Flying Circus - 05/01/2012 - FINISHED

Hi all,

ESSENTIAL VIEWING FOR MONTY PYTHON FANS.

In 1979, Monty Python’s “Life Of Brian” became one of the most controversial films ever to be released in British cinemas, causing outrage amongst religious groups, members of the public and politicians, most of whom hadn’t even seen the film. Accusing it of being blasphemous, many called for the film to be banned. Now, the brand-new, critically acclaimed comedy-drama Holy Flying Circus revisits that period and delivers a witty, entertaining and affectionate homage to the Pythons and the film that, today, has become accepted as one of the greatest comedy movies of all time. Garnering Five Star reviews in Heat and TV Times (“Anarchic and witty with post-modern flourishes that the Pythons themselves would be proud of”) and Four Star reviews in the Daily Express and the Daily Mail (which praised it for being “batty and exceptionally well made”), it was hailed by the Sunday Telegraph for being “cheeky, fantastical… [and] very funny,” acclaimed as “a triumph” by The Sunday Times and considered “one of the most insanely creative, joyous, electric, ridiculous, heartfelt, ballsy and unique dramas I have ever seen” by Caitlin Moran on The Saturday Times.

Written by Oscar and BAFTA Award nominee Tony Roche (The Thick Of It; In The Loop), directed by Owen Harris (Misfits; Secret Diary Of A Call Girl) and starring Charles Edwards (Waking The Dead; Mistresses; Batman Begins) as Michael Palin, Darren Boyd (Spy; Whites; Personal Affairs) as John Cleese, Steve Punt (Horrible Histories; Me, You And Him) as Eric Idle, Rufus Jones (Thank God You’re Here; Secret Smile) as Terry Jones, Tom Fisher (The Young Victoria; The Illusionist; Van Helsing) as Graham Chapman and Phil Nichol (Annually Retentive; Broken News) as Terry Gilliam, Holy Flying Circus is a joyfully surreal comedy that perfectly captures the Python spirit and features remarkable performances from its excellent cast.

As the controversy surrounding the cinema release of “Life Of Brian” raged around them, the Pythons found themselves not only fighting a war against censorship but also at the centre of a debate about what is an acceptable subject matter for comedy. In an attempt to put their side of the argument to the public and to defend the film against the charges of blasphemy, Michael Palin and John Cleese agreed to take part in a live debate on a Tim Rice-hosted edition of the television chat show, “Friday Night, Saturday Morning”. Arguing the case against the Pythons were two prominent society figures of the time, journalist and author Malcolm Muggeridge and Mervyn Stockwood, the then Bishop of Southwark. What transpired that night has become the stuff of TV legend and was famously regarded by author Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy) as his “favourite bit of television”.

Holy Flying Circus presents a fantastical, Pythonesque re-imagining of the events leading up to and including the riveting TV debate and the eventual release of “Life Of Brian” in British cinemas. A brilliant and very funny work on its own merits, it is a must-see for Monty Python fans and all those with an interest in the vagaries of comedy.

Holy Flying Circus (cert. 15) will be released on DVD (£15.99) by FremantleMedia Enterprises on 6th February 2012.

TO WIN....

Simply post your favourite Monty Python sketch below!

Everyone who enters will be put into a random draw next Sunday.

C'mon, spread the Python love!

GOOD LUCK!

Kyle
sawyer6 likes this.

Last edited by iluvdvds@Cult Labs; 7th February 2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 7th February 2012, 11:49 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Slight change in rules to prevent this from being the first Competition Fail

So what's your fav Python sketch?
PaulD likes this.
Old 7th February 2012, 12:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I think either the restaurant one with the dirty fork ("YOU 'ORRIBLE BAAAASTARD!") or the argument clinic. The wordplay and tightness of that sketch, and Palin's anger that Cleese isn't arguing properly ("saying ‘No it isn’t’ isn’t an argument.” “Yes it is!” “No it isn’t!”) cracks me up.

The fish slapping dance is always a good one too, haha.
Old 7th February 2012, 12:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Not really Python, however i love Jones and Palin's series Ripping Yarns, especially the episode Golden Gordon.

The episode is about football fan Gordon Ottershaw whose local team Barnstoneworth Utd haven't won a match in six years.

Brilliant stuff from the Pythons.
Old 7th February 2012, 01:51 PM
Cult Master

Surrealism at its best

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 7th February 2012, 02:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Old 7th February 2012, 03:39 PM
Cultist

The Sam Peckinpah "Salad days" sketch, where they're playing tennis and suffer various accidents. A gore filled treat and totally hilarious.
Old 8th February 2012, 11:40 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Minehead bi-election has to be my favourite, yep, some Sherrmanns kan laff aboot zis!

Old 9th February 2012, 07:26 AM
Cultist in Training

Cheese shop - I don't know why. Possible for the bouzouki.

Having said that, I gotta echo Dem's post above - love Ripping Yarns. The Curse of the Claw terrified me when I was a kid.
Old 9th February 2012, 10:16 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs View Post
Slight change in rules to prevent this from being the first Competition Fail

So what's your fav Python sketch?
And here I was about to post my epic hilarious Python-themed entry! I could have been the only one...

As for favourite sketch, I'd have to say it's a toss up between Graham Chapman wrestling himself or the Australians singing the Philosopher's Song.

Holy Flying Circus was brilliant. Does anyone know if they've included the original TV debate as an extra?

Like this? Share it using the links below!