Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2012

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th February 2012, 12:59 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Weekly Comp - The Shrine - 19/02/2012

Calling all horror fans, fancy winning 'one of the most frightening movies of the past decade'? Well, look no further than this week's Competition....

“THE SHRINE IS QUITE POSSIBLY ONE OF THE BEST HORROR FILMS OF THE YEAR.” – HORRORCULTFILMS.CO.UK.

From award-winning filmmaker Jon Knautz, writer-director of the cult hit horror-comedy “ Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer”, comes The Shrine, “a wonderfully eerie slice of Lovecraftian horror” (BeyondHollywood.com) that sets itself up as a traditional genre entry before brilliantly and unexpectedly pulling the rug from beneath the viewer with a killer twist.

Starring Aaron Ashmore (Smallville; Veronica Mars), Cindy Sampson (Supernatural; Reaper) and Meghan Heffern (The Fog; Chloe), The Shrine has been hailed as “true-blue horror all the way… uncompromising and aggressively nasty” (FearNet.com) and gained plaudits for its “great story arc, solid writing and acting, and a last act that’ll blow you away” (AnythingHorror.com).

When a young American goes missing in Poland while backpacking around Europe, ambitious journalist Carmen (Sampson) links his disappearance to a number of similar events that have occurred over the years in and around the remote rural village of Alvaina. With the US and Polish authorities showing little interest in the case, Carmen decides to investigate the story herself, hoping for a scoop that will forward her career as a writer.

She convinces her photographer boyfriend, Marcus (Ashmore), and her young intern at the newspaper, Sara (Heffern), to join her in trying to uncover the truth and the trio travels to Alvaina to make some initial enquiries. On arrival at the village they immediately attract the unwelcome attention of the hostile locals who order them to leave the area. Fearing for their safety Marcus is ready to give up and go home, but Carmen and Sara become intrigued by and drawn to a mysterious fog hanging over the nearby woods. On entering the mist, they come across what appears to be an ancient statue – a discovery that leads them on the path to a revelation far more terrifying than anything they could possibly imagine.

A solid supernatural chiller that recalls elements of “The Exorcist”, “Jacob’s Ladder” and “The Evil Dead”, The Shrine is an unexpected gem of a horror film and boasts a Grammy nominated (for Best Score Soundtrack For Visual Media) score by award-winning composer Ryan Shore (Stan Helsing; Numb; The Girl Next Door).

The Shrine (cert. 15) will be released on DVD (£12.99) and Blu-ray (£tbc) by Arrow Films on 27th February 2012.

-----------------
To win...

I know it's not exactly to do with horror, but last night I went to see Chronicle and was blown away by how good it was. A really great film So, this week, to win simply answer...

If you could have any super-power, what would it be and why?

Simple!

Don't forget to create a superhero name for yourself too.

Would you use it for good, evil or everyday stuff? The three most unique and awesome entries will each win themselves this film on either DVD or Blu-Ray. So obviously saying you'd like to be able to fly, although very cool, isn't going to win you any awards for innovation and creativeness. So, come up with a superpower that isn't ripping off your typical Marvel film that would be an incredible power to have.

Anyone, all over the world, may enter and there's no limit to how many times you enter. Just post your entries below and I'll pick the three best entries next sunday (the 26th).

Good luck

Kyle
sawyer6 likes this.
Old 19th February 2012, 01:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Ashmore is typecast already as a newspaper photographer it seems, after his regular role as photographer Jimmy Olsen in Smallville.

I like the sound of this film though, wonder what superhero i could be?
Old 20th February 2012, 09:19 AM
Seasoned Cultist

My super power is very simple and this thread can proove it is not fake in any way:

I can manipulate the mind of Kyle to win me this competition.

No it is your turn

Edit: Oh, the name: Manipulato. And of course I would use this power ond for (my own) good! Feel the force, Kyle!
Old 20th February 2012, 10:51 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

My superhero name would be The Blu Ray! I have the ability to create any blu ray I put my mind to, I am a one man Blu Ray machine. Here is an example of my power:

Stephen - "I want to watch Grease 2 but am sick of watching this inadequate DVD copy....why oh why is there not a blu ray of this featuring the original artwork? Help me The Blu Ray!"

The Blu Ray flies into action!

The Blu Ray - "Stephen I heard your cries for help, by changing the molecules in my body I can create any blu ray I put my mind to....but I won't do that!"

Stephen - "........." (Looks lost for words)

The Blu Ray - " Just shitting with you Stephen! Here is a Steelbook edition of Grease 2 on Blu Ray with the original artwork, bonus soundtrack CD & lock of Pfeiffers hair."

Stephen - "Hazzah, thank you The Blu Ray!"

The Blu Ray - "When VHS died I was there, when DVD dies I'll be there for I am the Blu Ray! ..........(The Blu Ray farts) Whoa who asked for Cool as Ice!!!!"

The Blu Ray goes on to release The Video Dead, The Keep, The Gate and other goodies and saves movie rarieties from staying dead!
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 20th February 2012, 10:56 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Bullsh*t man - I sense lies so will fly from location to location to call people out on their bullsh*t.
Don't worry Kyle, I'm on my way to Roughale's house now

(courtesy of Karl Pilkington)

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 20th February 2012, 11:00 AM
Cult Master

Fear not citizens, for here she comes...

Wronger of Rights
breaker of the mended
destroyer of the working.

I touch it and it shudders and stops working

I grasp it and it comes off in my hand (which is why i dont have a boyfriend!)

i am BAD-LUCK GIRL.

[As soon as you read this, your computer WILL crash, your cup of coffee WILL get knocked over, your phone WILL ring and stop just before you get to it and your dog WILL have a poo on the floor!!!]
PaulD and DryJack like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 20th February 2012, 12:05 PM
Cult Addict

Gentlemen and Gentleladys! I present to you! The Evader!
I have the un-cany ability to avaid anything I want. Be it a Bullet or Speeding car. A Machete or a Dundee (Thats not a knife!). Don'y get me started on TAXES!
I can even avoid the compulsery election. I have no need to vote for poxy posh snot's who may or may not run our country!

DVD and BD collection
Old 20th February 2012, 12:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Bullsh*t man - I sense lies so will fly from location to location to call people out on their bullsh*t.
Don't worry Kyle, I'm on my way to Roughale's house now

(courtesy of Karl Pilkington)
Do you like tea or coffee? Don't worry about biscuits, I shall have plenty brownies, no idea if from a bull, but the colour fits!

(second special power: Punchline magnetism, ensuring that the last laugh is on me - wait, is that really a good thing? Bloody foreign language )
Old 20th February 2012, 01:30 PM
Cultist

My super power would be the ability to resist buying DVD's and Blu Ray's.
My super hero name would be something like 'Normal Human Being Who Doesn't Spend Every Penny He Earns On Movies Guy' ...or maybe something a little easier like... RESISTOR!

edit: my weakness of course would be Limited Editions and any release from the Cult Labs Heck, maybe Cult Labs are my nemesis! The Lex Luthor to my Superman!
Old 20th February 2012, 06:16 PM
Cultist

I have the gift of an iron stomach so that I can challenge anybody anywhere to a drinking contest and win, causing their death. And since no superhero is perfect, in the event I do throw up, my vomit is radioactive and neon colors. Not only will I win by default when my enemy is killed by radioactive vomit, he'll look silly doing it. Just call me Iron Puke.

Like this? Share it using the links below!