Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2013

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st May 2013, 02:16 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Weekly Comp - Boy Nobody - 21st May 2013 - FINISHED

Hi guys,

Any book worms out there? Whether you are one or you know an avid reader, then this competition is for you! And it's dead easy to win....

Boy Nobody

He is nothing. The mission is everything.

Bourne meets Bond in the form of a teenage assassin in the first of a series of heart-stopping action-thriller novels for young adults.

Key Talent:

Award winning author, Allen Zadoff, whose previous works include “Food, Girls, And Other Things I Can’t Have” (the 2010 winner of the Sid Fleischman Humor Award), “My Life, The Theater, And Other Tragedies” and the memoir, “Hungry: Lessons Learned On The Journey From Fat To Thin”. A graduate of Cornell University and the Harvard Institute for Advanced Theater Training, and a former stage director, Allen Zadoff was born in Boston, Massachusetts, and has lived in upstate New York, Manhattan, Tokyo. He currently resides in Los Angeles where he teaching writing.

Synopsis:

The people behind The Program needed the perfect assassin: one who could operate efficiently in any given situation, without fear or anger, and without sympathy for the victim – a ruthless killer who could complete the mission and walk away unnoticed and emotionally unscathed. So they created one. The thing is, he’s just a kid.

Boy Nobody is the typical new kid in class, an insignificant teenager who shows up as a transfer from another high school in another town, makes very few friends and doesn’t stay long before leaving unexpectedly. What he leaves behind is always the same: a bereaved family that has lost a loved one due to “natural causes”. Mission accomplished.

But when Boy Nobody is assigned to target the mayor of New York City, things change. The mayor’s beautiful teenage daughter likes him. The mayor, himself, reminds him of his own, long-departed father and responds favourably to the blossoming relationship between the two teens. As buried memories and new questions begin to surface in Boy Nobody’s mind, a desire to return to being the kid he once was – a normal teenager with a home and real parents – is planted and begins to grow. And all the time The Program is watching. As far as they are concerned, nothing can be allowed to jeopardize the mission.

You'll Love It Because...

At a time when gothic/romantic fantasy and zombie/vampire/werewolf-themed novels have outstayed their welcome, the arrival of Allen Zadoff’s “Boy Nobody” is both a breath of fresh air and a blaring wake-up call to remind us that there is much more to popular fiction than a bunch of love-struck ghouls. A gripping, rapid-paced suspense thriller concerning the enthralling exploits of a covert teenage assassin with some serious issues, this is destined to become one of the most talked-about young adult books of the year. Writing in a sharp, straight to the point style, Zadoff never underestimates the intelligence of his target audience and is all too willing to take the narrative down some unexpectedly dark paths that will appeal to fans of the Jason Bourne and James Bond books.

Visit the Official Facebook page here!

Slightly different but a must for any book worm! Set to be the next Hunger Games, the book is already getting a film adaptation with Will Smith's son in the leading role. An action packed and very grim story that would be perfect for any teen reader in the house.

Boy Nobody is available on the 23rd May.

------------------

TO WIN....

All you have to do is come up with an everyday object that could be the perfect spy gadget in disguise. By 'everyday object' that could be something you use at home, at work, or, like this book's protagonist does, in school!

So get creative and post your entries below! What would the gadget do? How would you use it? What would it be called?
sawyer6 likes this.
Old 21st May 2013, 11:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The COde Breaking And Launch Tool or Co.B.A.L.T.

Cunning piece of precision engineering, this 150mm long piece of clear, unbreakable polycarbonate is marked off at 1mm increments which help its disguise as an ordinary measuring tool commonly found amongst students paraphernalia.

The edges of the Co.B.A.L.T. are, of course exceptionally uniform to facilitate measuring and the inscribing of straight lines, on the pressing of the correct combination of numbers the edges become an unshielded monomolecular cutting edge capable of sawing through titanium.

The central, thickened area holds a powerful LED, a short range laser and a powerful magnifying lens as well as a standard issue 5 terrabyte micro-miniature hard drive and HD/3D still and video camera with microphone and emergency homing transmitter.

Its code breaking capabilities are easily used by lining up the numbers on the "measuring edges" of the Co.B.A.L.T. with the code to be read and activating the code function, the microprocessor included will run through all known codes until a match is found.

The Co.B.A.L.T. launch function is used in conjunction with the agent's quick release "shirt buttons" which contain micro explosives. Place a "button" on the "150mm" end of the Co.B.A.L.T. flex the instrument into an arch shape. This action primes the explosive which for the sake of safety is inert whilst on the shirt. Take careful aim with the Co.B.A.L.T. and release the flexed end holding the "button". The resulting small explosion should render enemies incapable of counter-attack and facilitate the opening of locked doors.

SAFETY GUIDELINES FOR OPERATIVES
1. Please do not forget the sheathing code as this could result in the loss of fingers or other important body parts and/or other equipment in your "pencil case".
2. Do not "lend" your Co.B.A.L.T. to untrained personnel or "civilians".
3. You have only a finite amount of "shirt buttons", use them wisely.
4. Do not wear the wrong shirt!
sawyer6 likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:53 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Everyone meet the ultimate spying device:

Kyle's Comp Corner

Through highly intelligent crafted quizzes, perfectly encoded to hide it's intention and with the help of well-chosen baits (aka prices), it manages to squeeze otherwise unaccessible information out of the internet elite that is widely know as CCLB (Crazy Cult Labs Bunch). Unfortunately it made a big mistake in week 21 of 2013 when an encoding fault, coupled with a price that attracts the peak of us here (aka readers) the secret was revealed to the public. To save the scheme from becoming unusable, high command issued the suggestion to bribe the revealer with a book...

iluvdvds@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 24th May 2013, 12:39 AM
Cultist

Some weird futuristic implant into a human eyeball. It probably isn't even that far off from being a real thing. A chip in the eye that records what you see and somehow takes audio too.
Old 24th May 2013, 04:14 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethflc View Post
Some weird futuristic implant into a human eyeball. It probably isn't even that far off from being a real thing. A chip in the eye that records what you see and somehow takes audio too.
Wouldn't the salt and vinegar sting?

Monster Magnet
Old 27th May 2013, 10:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

A tiny speaker surgically implanted into the pad of the thumb and an equally small microphone implanted into the inner side of the little finger. Link this to a sub-dermal aerial and transmitter/receiver system in between the ulna and radius, all that is needed to complete the communications device is a number pad stitched to the palm of the wearer and hey-presto a covert telephone that no-one will suspect.

Monster Magnet
Old 29th May 2013, 10:02 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Congratulations to...

Troggi

Roughale

Sethflc

You've each won yourself a copy of Boy Nobody! Horray - it's a fantastic book. You'll love it.
sethflc likes this.
Old 29th May 2013, 03:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs View Post
Congratulations to...

Troggi

Roughale

Sethflc

You've each won yourself a copy of Boy Nobody! Horray - it's a fantastic book. You'll love it.
So this was a 100% winning chance competition, oh well, I can live with that Congratulations to the other two!
Old 29th May 2013, 05:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Congrats
Old 29th May 2013, 06:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

"Wow! what do I say? Oh thanks to my mom and my wife for supporting me through this whole ordeal. Thanks to the guy who goes and makes the copious amounts of LIDL Lemon tea drink with a splash of ginger cordial (supplied by Waitrose), oh yeah, f'got that's me! ... Wait a minute! Do any of these companies read this? NO! Oh well I don't suppose I'll get any freebies then, and that ginger cordial's bloody expensive......

Monster Magnet

Like this? Share it using the links below!