Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2014

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2014, 09:59 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Weekly Comp - Wrinkles - 6th May 2014 - FINISHED

Hello film lovers!

This week we're giving away one of the most beautiful and touching animated movies you're likely to see. With the voice talent of Martin Sheen, this award-winning film is a must-see!

Here's how to win - it's nice and simple...

Wrinkles

"It’s funny, it’s sad, it’s sweet, it’s heartbreaking. It’s brilliant."
Peter Bradshaw

Voiced by Hollywood royalty Martin Sheen, this moving animation demands to be seen, and is a talking point for all ages. Based on the award winning graphic novel by Paco Roca, Wrinkles is a heartwarming story of friendship that will bring tears of sadness and joy in equal measure. A beautifully crafted piece of cinema that takes an honest and touching view of a subject that resonates throughout today’s society.

Key talent:

Martin Sheen (Apocalypse Now; The Departed; Catch Me If You Can)

Matthew Modine (Full Metal Jacket; The Dark Knight Rises; Transporter 2)

George Coe (Kramer Vs. Kramer; The Entity)

Synopsis:

Wrinkles portrays the friendship between Emilio and Miguel, two aged gentlemen shut away in a care home. Recent arrival Emilio, in the early stages of Alzheimer, is helped by Miguel and colleagues to avoid ending up on the feared top floor of the care home, also known as the lost causes or assisted floor. Their wild plan infuses their otherwise tedious day-to-day routines with humour and tenderness, because although some of their lives are coming to an end, for them it is just beginning.

You'll Like It Because...

Not only does Wrinkles respectfully address a moving subject matter that affects an increasing number of people around the world; it does so with charm, grace and a humour that will warm your heart. With endearing characters and wonderful animation, it is hard not to fall in love with Wrinkles.

Hot Quotes:

- Illuminating, amusing, sensitive and touching – Tribune.

- The source material’s emotional authenticity has been transferred intact to the screen. – Jonathan Holland, Variety

- One of the most accomplished Spanish films, from any genre, of recent years. – Neil Young, The Hollywood Reporter

- It’s funny, it’s sad, it’s sweet, it’s heartbreaking. It’s brilliant. – Peter Bradshaw

Special Features:
  • Wrinkles Animatic
  • Wrinkles Making Of
  • Peter Bradshaw reviews Wrinkles
  • Wrinkles Trailer
  • Wrinkles Teaser Trailer

Recording the Music for Wrinkles

TO WIN.............

All you have to do to get your hands on this truly unforgettable film is to share with us the one movie that tugged at your heart-strings the most. Which movie made you shed a tear, moved you the most and turned you into a heart-ache?

Just let us know the film and a little info about why/how it got to you below.

The three best answers will win themselves this beautifully touching film on either DVD or Blu-ray!

Competition ends Sunday 11th May.

Good luck!

Kyle
Old 7th May 2014, 09:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The ending of About Schmidt (with the letter from the Orphan) gets me every time - the overall tone of the film is so incredibly bleak and downbeat that, when the small moment of salvation arrives at the end, it's really powerful and effective. In my opinion, 'About Schmidt' is a perfectly-pitched black comedy and a top 5 film for me but the ending is a real sucker-punch.
Old 7th May 2014, 10:07 PM
Cult Master

Weekly Comp - Wrinkles - 6th May 2014 - FINISHED-images.jpg

It has been many year since i have seen thisbut it has always stuck in my mind. A very moving film with fantastic performances from Robert DeNiro and Robbin Williams. Watching DeNiros decline when the drugs stop working for his illness is so heartbreaking i had a lump in my throat for the whole way through the film.
Vipp likes this.
Old 8th May 2014, 12:04 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'd also mention Awakenings, an incredibly moving film. The scene where De Niro dances with the girl, knowing he's about to slip back into his sleeping sickness at any moment, is heart breaking.

But one of the most powerful and moving films I think I've ever seen is Lorenzo's Oil. When the parents (Nolte and Sarandon) first discover their son's illness and we see their devastation it is truly heart wrenching to watch and almost brings a tear to my eye. Not much moves me to tears, I'm afraid. Although I am a big softy, I'm not given to bouts of crying.
Nordicdusk and Vipp like this.
Old 8th May 2014, 06:07 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Here's an unlikely candidate ... The New York Ripper!! Whilst it's never quite reduced me to an emotional wreck, the closing scene, when the sickly girl is crying out for her dad, is really upsetting and a fitting end to a pretty nihilistic film.
Old 8th May 2014, 06:23 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Green Mile-I don't know anybody that doesn't get a lump in their throat at the end
Vipp likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 8th May 2014, 07:28 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

No one has mentioned E.T.

That squidgy little lump still gets me today
Attached Thumbnails
Weekly Comp - Wrinkles - 6th May 2014 - FINISHED-et-hes-still-here.jpg  
iluvdvds@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 8th May 2014, 07:53 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Toy Story 3 too, I was almost in tears at the end, resulting in my kids telling me to "man up" in the cinema
Vipp likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 8th May 2014, 04:30 PM
Cult Master

Weekly Comp - Wrinkles - 6th May 2014 - FINISHED-champ.jpg

I dont think i have to explain this one.
Old 8th May 2014, 04:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre-Poor old Leatherface is trying to go about his business, making sure the home is up to scratch for his brothers, and the tea is ready for when they get home, suddenly all these pesky kids come from nowhere and mess things up for him, poor lad

Vipp likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!