Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2015
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2015, 10:33 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Competition Competition - Mean Streets: Special Edition - 12th May 2015 - FINISHED

Listen wiseguy,

Fancy getting your no-good dirty paws on a ace prize to really impress the boss? Well, we're giving away a true classic this week! Here's your chance to win the brand new release of Martin Scorsese's Mean Streets ....

What You Can Win:

Mean Streets: Special Edition

This knockout classic arrives on UK Blu-ray for the first ever time! Exclusive new features!

It’s one of the best films of the 1970s, it’s the granddaddy of the modern crime cinema, and it heralded the arrival of screen legends Martin Scorsese, Robert De Niro and Harvey Keitel. It’s an unforgettable, knockout classic.

Key talent:

Directed by
Martin Scorsese (Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas, The Wolf of Wall Street)

Starring
Robert De Niro (Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, The Godfather Part 2)
Harvey Keitel (Taxi Driver, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction)
David Proval (The Sopranos, The Shawshank Redemption)
Richard Romanus (The Sopranos)
David Carradine (Kung Fu, Kill Bill)

Synopsis:

One of the director’s most personal and powerful films, Mean Streets stars De Niro and Keitel as Johnny Boy and Charlie, Italian-American cousins, small time criminals hustling, fighting and carousing, doing whatever it takes to survive in the rough and ready New York neighbourhoods.

Johnny Boy seems to spend his life getting into trouble, leaving the slightly older, and wiser Charlie to get him out of it. Charlie wants to make enough money to buy a restaurant, and he wants to drum some sense into Johnny Boy. But when Johnny Boy reneges on a debt to a loan shark, things get nasty, and the cousins find themselves having to flee a hired killer.

You'll Love It Because...

If you like Tarantino, The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire... well, this is where it all started, with Scorsese’s blistering Hollywood calling card.

There is much to enjoy here – the improvised patter, the ‘mook’ riot in the pool hall, Scorsese’s shock cameo, as well as the sharply-dressed De Niro’s sensational slo-mo entry into the neighbourhood bar to the sound of The Rolling Stones’ “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”.

It’s arguably a pacier and more cohesive film than Scorsese’s Taxi Driver, and on a par with the sheer panache of Goodfellas, but has tended to be overlooked in the director’s oeuvre.

Although initially marketed as a rather dour drama, in actual fact it is a racy and sometime hysterically funny slice of 1970s New York, drenched in wonderful tunes – including “Be My Baby” by The Ronettes, which opens the film with a bang – and featuring quotable lines including De Niro asking the immortal question, “what’s a mook?”.

The film shows off Scorsese’s burgeoning bold and thrilling style that would influence generations of filmmakers in its wake.

Hot Quotes:

“It really was accurate, that was my life.” Martin Scorsese

“One of the best American films of the decade” Time Out

“A perceptive, sympathetic, finally tragic story about how it is to grow up in a gangster environment” Roger Ebert

“An acclaimed classic for a long time but what doesn't get said too often is how wonderfully funny it is... The movie's blazing energy is still astounding” The Guardian

“One of the pivotal films of the 1970s” The New York Times

“I've seen it about 746 times. The first time was at Paddy Considine’s house. I watched it every day when I was thrown out of college: every single day for six weeks. I've never done that with a film, before or since” Shane Meadows

Special Features:

Never before released on Blu-ray in the UK.

Sublime new sleeve artwork.

Never before released extras in the UK including:
  • Audio commentary featuring director Martin Scorsese, actress Amy Robinson and co-writer Mardik Martin
  • Vintage Featurette: "Back on the Block"
  • Theatrical trailer

We'll be announcing the brand new 80's VHS inspired reversible sleeve later next week!

On DVD & Blu-Ray from Monday 18th May 2015, click here to pre-order yours.

-----------------------------------------------

To Win:

Entering this competition is dead simple. All you need to do is come up with your own Mafia-inspired nickname and tell us a little about yourself. Chat with each other like a Mafia movie mobster would.

The better your posts the more chance you have of winning this great prize!

At the start of next week, we'll pick the three best Cult Labs Mafia mobsters to post in this thread and they will each win a copy of Mean Streets on either DVD or Blu-ray (for the first time in the UK).

Good luck everyone,

Kyle
Rik and Vipp like this.
Old 12th May 2015, 11:01 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've already got a Mafia style middle name (Salvatore), named after my granddad and when my old college tutor realised this he called me Sal, still does actually whenever I bump into him ha ha.
I'll have to get my thinking cap on for this one
iluvdvds@Cult Labs likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 15th May 2015, 10:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The names Ben... N' a ' few years back (a wack few years back, naw) my ****in' drivin' instructor started callin' me "Benzoline", which be apparently an old name fo' petrol. So I think my ****in' mobsta name would be Benz Olini. whaddaya make o' dat, ya dirty ratz?!
iluvdvds@Cult Labs and PaulD like this.
Old 15th May 2015, 10:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

They call me Domino after the pizza joint, you order a 'slice' and I aim to get you that 'slice' within a day or two! If you want the 'slice' still attached to its screaming owner I can do that. If I cant deliver on time the next 'slice' is on the house! Kappische!
Old 16th May 2015, 01:23 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Competition - Mean Streets: Special Edition - 12th May 2015

Eey Domino! Dat sounds like a top class quality service yo' offa there, but here's da ting - when I place an order, I want it ****in' delivered in less dan thirty minutes. N' if I don't git da ****in satisfaction, n' da ****in respect I deserve, well shiiit. I guess I'll just have ta place an orda wit' da Big Boss instead - Don "Papa Tony's". N' dat crazy bastid will pull da plug on yo' mutha****in no good yellow rat bastid enterprise qwuicker dan you can say "Hold da anchovies".

Last edited by MuckyFunster; 16th May 2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 16th May 2015, 08:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

My name mel but named melcapone because im alcapone son, but as soon as i started gelling people feet together and putting them in a concrete mould i earned the nickname jellcapone
Old 16th May 2015, 08:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Hay Ben.... or is it MuckyFuc.er, I have franchises all over! If you wanna slice within 30 minutes you'll get your slice! I once had an order placed for a guy called Vic, he was sliced within ten minutes.....then another for a guy called Ron....again ten minutes. I get a few orders from da cult lab people, real nice bunch unless ya call those jap animation show cartoons, then they go all Marlon Brando on yo ass. But I digress here... Yo wanna order a slice with the little fishes I can do that, if you want the 'olives' still attached that'll cost ya extra! As for Don "Papa Tony's he dont scare me much its his pet raven you have to watch out for always jerking his head about, fuc.ing thing gives me the creeps...fuc.ing give him a slice!
Old 16th May 2015, 09:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Domino, I hope yo' ain't talkin' no crap about Papa Tony or that goddamn Raven! I think I oughtta remind yo' that he's a friend of mine, and the last ****in' jamook who was disrespectful to that raven received a Moe Greene special. So I suggest you maybe give him a little taste of your pizza business, cuz you know how these old moustache Petes can be! An' you "eating alone" might cause us to have some beef, an' then the whole family might wind up hungry, and at your door.
Old 18th May 2015, 01:48 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Now listen up you good-for-nothing, snake-eyed yellow-bellied wiseguys, it's time to finish the job. The Don has spoken, see, and he'd like to reward these three with a little somethin' special. Capiche?

Benz Olini

Domino

Salvatore

We'll send the 'goods' to you poisonally. Expect a knock at your door shortly - Fat Tony's on his way to take care of the business.

Don Kyolni
Old 18th May 2015, 02:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Grazie Don Kyle, e ben fatto per gli altri troppo, avrò un blu ray per favore
Nordicdusk likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!