Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2015

View Poll Results: Which Devil's Advocates book would you most like to read? Let us know why below...
Black Sunday 2 8.00%
The Blair Witch Project 0 0%
Carrie 5 20.00%
The Curse of Frankenstein 1 4.00%
The Descent 0 0%
Halloween 5 20.00%
Let the Right One In 2 8.00%
Saw 0 0%
The Silence of the Lambs 1 4.00%
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre 6 24.00%
The Thing 7 28.00%
Witchfinder General 7 28.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd June 2015, 10:40 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

TCM for me too, after Dawn of the Dead it's tied with The Exorcist as my favourite horror film. I own the TCM Companion, which covers all the films up to the 2003 remake, but I've never read a book solely dedicated to the film. Plus, when I meet Gunnar Hansen at HorrorCon UK in July, it would be cool to have him sign it, along with whatever else I cram into my girlfriends handbag for him and the other guests to sign

For anyone interested in the films, I recommend this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Texas-Chain-...insaw+massacre
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 3rd June 2015, 11:11 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I picked Carrie and all John Carpenter films in the list, because I love them all, have seen them several times over the years, but if the choice had to be just one from the list the only film may well have been Let The Right One In (which is among my selection now too!), because that film has such a tight atmosphere and is a fantastic rope-walk between innocent child film and horror that it is an outstanding addition to the genre. The director (and probably the author who participated in the script writing process AFAIR, did a good job and left out stuff from the novel that might have looked ridiculous on film... Tip: Forget the US remake, it made so many mistakes and lacks the acting finesse of the original!

Edit: I forgot to mention I also picked Silence of the Lambs, those who know the film will know why
Old 3rd June 2015, 01:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Curse of Frankenstein because I'd picture it as a Hammer movie, the Thing because I've read the novelization before and Witchfinder General because I'm into history and have read other similar books before. James Darkes 'The Witches' was a series of eight thin (128 pages) books based around the same period as Witchfinder General. TBH they weren't that good but as a teenager in the 80's when the series came out it was the covers that sold it for me
Competition - Pick A Cult Film Book! - 2nd June 2015 - CLOSED-8461733.jpg
Old 3rd June 2015, 02:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

Witchfinder General for me, as I'm fascinated by the relationship between the, at the time, promising young British director, Michael Reeves, and the old hand Hollywood star, Vincent Price. The whole production interests me including Paul Ferris's score, the other actors, the beautiful locations, the US and Continental versions of the film, and the controversy over the film's violence and subsequent censorship when it was submitted to the BBFC.

Last edited by Vampix; 3rd June 2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 3rd June 2015, 06:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I woud love the Texas Chainsaw Massacre book.

When i tuned into the Texas Chainsaw Massacre for the first time i was engulfed in a mixture of excitment, fear, awe and glee... it had been previously banned which to a young me meant i was in for a real treat but i had no idea!

That family is engrained into my memory like the taste of marmite, a scene that i believe may be the finest scene ever commited to celluloid is when we hear the pig squeels the Leatherface appears and knocks the architypal young american hero to his ass, he drags the teen into the back room and slams the metal sliding door shut with force. I just adore that scene, it still has the ability to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. that movie is a deep well of oppertunity for study and analysis. like most of the fans here i have also read and watched countless articles and films that delve into the nightmare world of tobe hooper's TCM but it's never enough - i always want more, a new Blu-Ray or book or special feature, i always want and need more TCM.

Also i had no idea Gunner Hanson was going to be in the UK soon (Thanks Rik! so i need to get tickets for that con!) i have a steel edition TCM that needs a signature!

Last edited by Vipp; 4th June 2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 3rd June 2015, 07:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Not just Gunnar, Ken Foree, Tom Savini, Bill Moseley, Martine Beswick and Caroline Munro are appearing too

http://www.horrorconventions.co.uk
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 3rd June 2015, 07:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Not just Gunnar, Ken Foree, Tom Savini, Bill Moseley, Martine Beswick and Caroline Munro are appearing too

Horror Convention UK - Official Website
Rik do you know how much a photo/signature from Ken and Tom might cost?
Old 3rd June 2015, 07:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
Rik do you know how much a photo/signature from Ken and Tom might cost?

Not yet, they haven't announced prices yet, as they are specified by the guests themselves. Usually £20 a pop from what I gather
Vipp likes this.
Old 4th June 2015, 11:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

Halloween. One of the first horror movies I ever saw, and still among the all-time greatest. I just love it.
Old 8th June 2015, 12:32 AM
Cult Acolyte

Halloween for me, to go along with my many releases and posters of the film. A film with such a momentous impact on the industry, also has a fun and fascinating production history, being an Independant production, the first massive success of John Carpenter, and just being a fun set.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga

Like this? Share it using the links below!