Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2015

View Poll Results: Which Devil's Advocates book would you most like to read? Let us know why below...
Black Sunday 2 8.00%
The Blair Witch Project 0 0%
Carrie 5 20.00%
The Curse of Frankenstein 1 4.00%
The Descent 0 0%
Halloween 5 20.00%
Let the Right One In 2 8.00%
Saw 0 0%
The Silence of the Lambs 1 4.00%
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre 6 24.00%
The Thing 7 28.00%
Witchfinder General 7 28.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd June 2015, 04:53 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Competition Competition - Pick A Cult Film Book! - 2nd June 2015 - CLOSED

Hi everyone,

We've got a fantastic competition for you to take part in this week. We've teamed up with Devil's Advocates to give you the chance to win any of their below cult film books!

Stick on your spectacles and fill your brain with a brand-new insightful book about your favourite cult films.

Here's how to win....

Up For Grabs:

This week, one lucky winner will be able to pick any of the following Devil's Advocates books as their prize;
  • Black Sunday
  • The Blair Witch Project
  • Carrie
  • The Curse of Frankenstein
  • The Descent
  • Halloween
  • Let the Right One In
  • Saw
  • The Silence of the Lambs
  • The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
  • The Thing
  • Witchfinder General

Auteur’s Devil’s Advocates is a series devoted to exploring the classics of horror cinema and is expanding all the time.

“The admirable Devil’s Advocates series is not only essential – and fun – reading for the serious horror fan but should be set texts on any genre course.” Dr I.Q. Hunter, Reader in Film Studies, De Montfort University Leicester

“Devil’s Advocates has proven itself more than capable of producing impassioned, intelligent analyses of genre cinema… quickly becoming the go-to guys for intelligent, easily digestible film criticism.” HorrorTalk.com

For more info, head over to the following social links and give these guys a 'like' and a 'follow'!

Twitter: http://twitter.com/DevilsAdbooks

Facebook: http://facebook.com/DevilsAdvocatesbooks

----------------------------------

To Enter:

For your chance to win, all you need to do is vote for the book/s you would most like to read in the poll from the list. Let us know why below and the best answer will win that person a book of their choice (from this list).

It's that simple!

Good luck everyone - it's an excellent prize.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 2nd June 2015, 04:58 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre for me! Never really read any critiques of analysis on what is arguably my favourite horror film ever. Not even sure why I haven't to be honest; always just enjoyed the thrill and visceral experience of the film as a rollercoaster ride in itself. Would genuinely be interesting to read about it and have it contextualised and analysed etc

(Devil's Advocates are also bringing out a book on Suspiria written by Alex Heller-Nicholas who is a fantastic writer; very much looking forward to that!)
Old 2nd June 2015, 05:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

For me it'd be Carrie simply because it's a film I love but not one I've ever really read up on. I also think it lends itself well to analysis due to the number of themes which are covered (religion, sexuality, teenage angst, domestic abuse etc) so I would be interested to read an in-depth study on the film. In all honesty though, I would happily read any of the books listed!!
Old 2nd June 2015, 06:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
For me it'd be Carrie simply because it's a film I love but not one I've ever really read up on. I also think it lends itself well to analysis due to the number of themes which are covered (religion, sexuality, teenage angst, domestic abuse etc) so I would be interested to read an in-depth study on the film. In all honesty though, I would happily read any of the books listed!!
Can i recommend Stephen King's book On Writing.

Although not about the film it goes in depth as to how and why the novel came about which is after all the film's source material.
Sam, Rik and Vipp like this.
Old 2nd June 2015, 06:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Can i recommend Stephen King's book On Writing.

Although not about the film it goes in depth as to how and why the novel came about which is after all the film's source material.
Thanks I'll look into that
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 2nd June 2015, 06:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'll second Dem's recommendation, great read
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 2nd June 2015, 06:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I voted for Witchfinder General.

There's so much back story to the production involving director Michael Reeves and star Vincent Price that hopefully it goes into with an in depth and impartial attitude.
Old 2nd June 2015, 09:21 PM
Cult Addict

Witchfinder General for me, I am a bit of a Reeves/Witchfinder obsessive. The book will look lovely with my little collection of related books and music.
Attached Thumbnails
Competition - Pick A Cult Film Book! - 2nd June 2015 - CLOSED-img_20150602_221933.jpg   Competition - Pick A Cult Film Book! - 2nd June 2015 - CLOSED-img_20150602_221415.jpg  
Old 2nd June 2015, 09:32 PM
Cult Addict

...and I like witches! Wicked Witchery and Hairy Hippies
Old 3rd June 2015, 10:23 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Has to be TCM for me, the sheer madness that ensued during and after the production of this classic, plus have only ever read one "critical" essay in the form of Joe bob Briggs spiel in his Profoundly Disturbing book etc....which isn't that great imo...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!