Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2015

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2015, 10:07 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Competiton - Out Of The Dark - 24th June 2015 - FINISHED

Hi everyone,

Here's your chance to win an excellent new ghostly chiller! It's dead simple to enter, so give it a go...

This week, you could win...

OUT OF THE DARK

"Julia Stiles shines in this atmospheric shocker!" - Box Office Buz

From the producers of Pan’s Labyrinth and The Crazies comes this must-see horror packed with stunning visuals, edge-of-your-seat tension and big scares!

Julia Stiles (The Bourne Ultimatum) delivers another great performance, playing a mother who relocates to Columbia and discovers her new family home is haunted by the victims of its dark past…

Key talent:

Starring

Julia Stiles (The Bourne Ultimatum, Silver Linings Playbook, TV’s Dexter)

Scott Speedman (Underworld, The Strangers)

Stephen Rea (The Crying Game, V For Vendetta, Underworld)

Alejandro Furth (TV’s Criminal Minds, The Zero Hour)

Directed by

LluÃ*s QuÃ*lez (feature film debut)

Synopsis:

Sara (Julia Stiles) travels with her husband Paul (Scott Speedman) and young daughter to a small Colombian town, where she takes over the family business from her father (Stephen Rea).

But the town has a mysterious past – somehow connected to the old medical centre where Sara and her family now live – and it’s only a matter of time before the spirits of dead children begin to torment their lives. Can Sara uncover the dark secret haunting her family? Or is her own daughter doomed to become one of the ghostly children?

You'll Love It Because...

There’s something classic and genuinely unnerving about Out of the Dark. With its tale of a sinister horror linked to the past, it’s like Don’t Look Now meets The Grudge meets The Conjuring – a real recipe for terror!

It’s an inventive story, with a solid cast on hand to do it justice. Julia Stiles proves once again why she’s one of Hollywood’s most reliable leading actresses, while Oscar nominee Stephen Rea lends his trademark touch of class to the film playing a shady character embedded in the town’s even shadier past.

Behind the camera, Spanish director LluÃ*s QuÃ*lez shows he’s one to watch in the genre. Using the striking Colombian scenery, he creates a creepy tension and piles on the scares – a film as stunning to look at as it is unsettling! And that’s not to mention the central mystery that will have you gripped to the final horrifying moments…

Atmospheric, well-acted and guaranteed to send chills down your spine, Out of the Dark is a ghost story not to be missed!

Hot Quotes:

"Spine-chillingly good" Film4 FrightFest

"Julia Stiles shines in this atmospheric shocker!" Box Office Buz

"Packed full of scares" SCREAM MAGAZINE

"Dark, tense and very scary" The Fan Carpet

"A tense thrill-ride... Julia Stiles is outstanding" The Hollywood News

Special Features:

Making of Out of the Dark

Out Of The Darkis out now on DVD. Click here for more info and to order your copy.

-------------

How To Win...

To enter this competition, all you need to do is let us know which ghost movie has freaked you out the most. That's it!

Just post your answer and the reason why below.

All those who enter will be placed into a hat and three winners will be randomly selected on Monday 29th June

Good luck everyone,

Kyle
Old 24th June 2015, 10:22 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Don't know if this technically counts, but BBC's Ghostwatch from 1992 scared the crap out of me. I, like everybody else was utterly convinced it was real and due to how real it seemed, I've not watched it since it was aired for fear of it not having the same impact.
The final shot with Michael Parkinson not knowing which camera he should be speaking into was genuinely creepy!

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 24th June 2015, 10:32 AM
Cult Veteran

Awe I love Julia Stiles!

For me, it was the end of summer term at school, everything was winding down and the teachers let us watch movies instead of lessons and someone brought a VHS of Poltergeist in, we were probably 13 years old. Anyway all was fine, people were feeling a bit twitchy but that scene in the bedroom, the storm is getting closer, he's counting the thunder, it's getting shorter and shorter, the lightening flashes and the clown has gone! well you could cut the tension with a knife...

Suffice to say when he looked under the bed and the clown rushed towards him, and the screen, half the boys in the class screamed like little girls, me included and we were all a bag of nerves for the rest of the day. I'm pretty sure that the teacher turned it off shortly afterwards as he realised it wasn't appropriate viewing for young teenagers in school
Demoncrat and Vipp like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 24th June 2015, 10:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I remember watching 'Blair with project' for the first time and the sound of the kids smashing the tent completley freaked me out, it also lined me up for the end of the film where the guy is facing the wall and our camera man gets a rock behind the head... that's what happened to those kids too! well written and well executed. it makes no sense to hate on that movie, it did it's job but has little re-watch value. that's my ten pence.

Can't wait to hear what movie has freaked out MTDS! it must be worth a watch!
Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 24th June 2015, 11:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Whilst Ghostwatch has been picked already, I can only reiterate the impact that that had at the time, would like to see it again........though it isn't a film, so I will say that for honest to goodness genuine terror, for me it would have to be.......

Onibaba (1964).
Whether tis the use of B&W, the claustrophobic cinematography, close ups etc etc, this tale of greed and envy still shocks me every time I watch it.
Justin101 and Vipp like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th June 2015, 11:16 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Don't know if this technically counts, but BBC's Ghostwatch from 1992 scared the crap out of me. I, like everybody else was utterly convinced it was real and due to how real it seemed, I've not watched it since it was aired for fear of it not having the same impact.
The final shot with Michael Parkinson not knowing which camera he should be speaking into was genuinely creepy!

Mate i bought this from the BFI years ago (someone stole it from my dvd shelf) i had nightmares about this and an remember the night it was aired on tv! i assumed as it had lister from Red Dwarf in it that it would be a comedy but actually believed it! (i was young) You might have won this one Rik. this truly was actually terrorfying!
Rik and Demoncrat like this.
Old 24th June 2015, 11:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
Mate i bought this from the BFI years ago (someone stole it from my dvd shelf) i had nightmares about this and an remember the night it was aired on tv! i assumed as it had lister from Red Dwarf in it that it would be a comedy but actually believed it! (i was young) You might have won this one Rik. this truly was actually terrorfying!
I was 12 or 13 when it aired and already a huge fan of all things horror related, but this really scared the crap out of me!
iluvdvds@Cult Labs and Vipp like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 24th June 2015, 05:31 PM
Cult Addict

All of them! Ghosts frighten the shit out of me.
Rik and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 24th June 2015, 07:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Don't tend to get frightened by much but The Changling (1980) did it. The ball bouncing down the stairs after George C. Scott arrives home after getting rid of it sends shivers down my spine everytime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaPLQidZub4
Old 24th June 2015, 07:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
All of them! Ghosts frighten the shit out of me.
What about The Mephisto Waltz?

Like this? Share it using the links below!