Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Phantom Of Death

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th December 2007, 12:08 PM
Active Cultist

Default SHAM002 - Phantom of Death

Good film this, excellent performances from Michael York, Donald Pleasance and the Vesace shoulderpadded Edwige Fenech.

To be honest it was not the sleazefest I was expecting and York is more a tragic figure than a villain. Yes he is a serial killer but he is being driven mad by an illness that not only ages him prematurely it makes him lose his mind.

York is not happy with this state of affairs and tries his best to get caught, telephoning the police and literally telling them where he is. Rather than a horror film think of this as a tragic story, with relationships doomed to failure and police incompetence.

Despie there being a decade and a half between the films the title I would most compare Phantom of Death to is Don't Look Now, a title which would make an excellent double bill with this one.

Its worth the price just to see the wonderful Donald Pleasanxce running up the street, fists clenched shouting come out I ll kill you you ****ing bastard

good work shameless, full review to be posted up in next day or two.

My blog has moved house: Italian Film Review Blog
Old 25th May 2008, 02:20 PM
Cultist

Default When I get older, losing my hair, not that long from now...

Made at the tail end of the eighties this film almost tries too hard, too many times and ultimately falls short too often. Able to attract recognisable Hollywood stars and presumably with an eye on the lucrative US market Ruggero Deodato teams up Michael York and Donald Pleasance in an everyday tale of a pianist afflicted with a degenerative disease who decides to get back at the world by killing the young women he meets. (The identity of the murder is revealed in the second reel so that's not giving that much away.)

York gives a decent performance as Robert Dominici, the aforementioned pianist, and manages to portray his descent into madness as he faces the disease that is literally killing him before his eyes. Deodato nicely juxtaposes the efforts of Inspector Datti against York's killing spree, with Donald Pleasence descending into madness as York taunts him about his failures, culminating in him running into the street gurning and ranting "Where are you? I kill you" at no one in particular.

The murders are suitably graphic (as you'd expect in a piece of Italian cinema) with the impalement of Dominici's girlfriend pushing her through a glass door being particularly balletic in it's composition, showering the scene with the requisite red stuff. The make up on York works well, with subtle ageing being added in each scene virtually from the opening credits but ultimately suffers from the bane offilmmakers lives - it's very difficult to make up a young actor to play an old person (or this this case an aged one!)

Where the film falls down is it's pedestrian and confusing plotting and too often lack lustre cinematography and direction. Subplots and red herrings are introduced in true giallo style but they are all soon forgotten or sink into mangled logic. Fabio Sartore turns up as a suspect who we're supposed to believe is York's best friend, despite them never sharing any screen time (that I can recall), but then promptly disappears. Similarly what appears to be a subplot regarding York stalking Datti's daughter simply drifts away to nothing. And are we really meant to believe that data protection in Italy is so lax that a doctor will happily give out the name and address of a patient to someone who happens to be suffering the same disease?

Artistically the best scenes are those set in Venice during the Carnival but this setting is woefully underused in a rush to return to the big hair, big shoulder pads and sub-dynasty styling that was, it seems, in vogue in Italy at this time. Presumably the title 'Phantom of Death' was meant to invoke 'The Phantom of the Opera' in lines with these scenes as Dominici is able to hide behind a mask for a time but so little is made of it the title switch becomes meaningless.

Take away the odd giallo touches and the graphic slayings and you're not left with much more than an average made for TV movie with a couple of good performances at it's heart. It's not a bad film andfills in 90 minutes OK but you'd really expect more from Deodato.

"I'm saving your soul you ungrateful bitch!"
Night of the Demon
Old 29th May 2008, 08:26 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I enjoyed this a lot,bought it when first released,simply because i had bought NYR......but I'm glad I did ,...I'd never seen it before......Good old Donald Pleasance eh?
Old 17th February 2009, 09:16 PM
Ex-member

Great film, but it did go into territory in places.
Old 18th February 2009, 08:53 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Harry must of watched Off Balance to get the influence!!
Old 20th February 2009, 11:45 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Donald Pleasence rant scene is one of the finest comedy moments ever committed to celluloid

Other than that, good first half not as good second half - a decent film regardless. I prefer NOTHING UNDERNEATH out of the two though.
Old 20th February 2009, 12:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Along with Torso and Ratman, PoD is my least favourite Shameless release so far.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 20th February 2009, 12:33 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Pleasence's rampaging 'Loomis-goes-looney' rant is worth the price of admission alone.
Old 20th February 2009, 12:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

"YOU BASTARD, COME OUT YOU ****ING BASTARD, COME ON OUT, I KILL YOU, I KILL YOU, YOU MURDERING BASTARD!" I love Donald Pleasence.

Loops, once again we're going to have to agree to disagree. PoD was no classic but as a genre film I think it more than makes the grade. I guess you don't hold a lot of affection for '80s Italian horror films.

Oh and Torso is a classic. I can't comment on the quality of Shameless' release because I don't have it, but the film itself is one of the very best Giallos going in my opinion.
Old 20th February 2009, 12:42 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
"YOU BASTARD, COME OUT YOU ****ING BASTARD, COME ON OUT, I KILL YOU, I KILL YOU, YOU MURDERING BASTARD!" I love Donald Pleasence.
A bit less restrained than "I can't see a bloody thing" in The Great Escape.

Like this? Share it using the links below!