Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship

Poll: Which Video Nasties are the best?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Which Video Nasties are the best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th July 2008, 05:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Evilspeak is a great film, really enjoyed it. Don't know if I could choose a favourite but Zombie Flesh Eaters is up there, Definatley one of the best. 'House by the cemetery', 'The Burning', 'Anthropophagus' and 'The Beyond' are all close runners up.

I'd love to see 'Night of the Bloody Apes' get an uncut R2 DVD release, I think it really needs one and it would surely get by the BBFC uncut today considering most of what was cut out was scenes of real surgery. They show worse on channel 4 at 9 'o'clock in the evening these days on those sex change programmes and stuff. The other deaths scenes that were cut are so ludicrous and badly done it's ridiculous to think it was ever cut in the first place, I've got it on vhs released by Satanica and it's hacked to pieces.
Old 28th July 2008, 07:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween_22 View Post
I'd love to see 'Night of the Bloody Apes' get an uncut R2 DVD release, I think it really needs one and it would surely get by the BBFC uncut today considering most of what was cut out was scenes of real surgery. They show worse on channel 4 at 9 'o'clock in the evening these days on those sex change programmes and stuff. The other deaths scenes that were cut are so ludicrous and badly done it's ridiculous to think it was ever cut in the first place, I've got it on vhs released by Satanica and it's hacked to pieces.
Night Of The Bloody Awful is available uncut on UK dvd courtesy of Redemption.
Old 28th July 2008, 07:58 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah I've got that-feckin hilarious.....
Old 28th July 2008, 08:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Woah, guess I need to start keeping up I'll have to track that down

Yeah, it is a terrible film but it's so funny. When they go to the zoo to get an ape and shoot it with a tranquilizer it's so blatantly a guy in a (Really bad) monkey suit, Laughed my ass off
Old 28th July 2008, 08:34 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I'd like to give a deserved shout out to Andrzej Zulawski's "Possesion", what a film. It's almost hypnotic, totally mesmerising.
Old 28th July 2008, 08:46 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Coming soon from Blue Underground mate......
Complete with THAT cool VCT artwork.......
Old 28th July 2008, 09:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Nice one! I transferred my old Visual Films vhs to dvd about a year ago. You got a link to any more info reaps?
Old 28th July 2008, 10:09 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween_22 View Post
EI'd love to see 'Night of the Bloody Apes' get an uncut R2 DVD release, I think it really needs one and it would surely get by the BBFC uncut today considering most of what was cut out was scenes of real surgery.
Indeed the Redemption release is fully uncut. Make sure you don't get the previous Film 2000 DVD, as they released the same print as the heavily (and horrendously badly) cut Satanica VHS.

The BBFC cuts to the (belated) 1974 cinema release of the film were the bedroom attack and the stabbing of the butcher in the park, though the version they saw was a much shorter print. The Redemption release doesn't appear on the BBFC's website (for reasons unknown) though it's definitely the full uncut one.

It's also absolutely atrocious. I love it.
Old 29th July 2008, 06:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The version submitted to the BBFC in 1974 with a running time of 81m appears to have the same run time as the Mexican release. The US release appears to be 2m longer.
Old 29th July 2008, 10:49 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Yes it looks as if the extra gore was added for the U.S print. The eye gouging would definitely have been cut by the BBFC back then (however ridiculous it looks) and does look as if it was tagged on for alternate prints.

Like this? Share it using the links below!