Old 3rd June 2013, 07:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM View Post
My Bloody Valentine 3D,
Really

I would say thats the best of all the remakes.
Old 3rd June 2013, 07:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heloch Corbeau View Post
Absolutely - I believe the makers of this abortion were cashing in on the notoriety of the original.
Not forgetting the 'original' was itself a remake of The Virgin Spring . . .
Old 3rd June 2013, 08:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
How about a remake of Death Wish instead ?
Apparently Sly considered it for a while...mercifully that's no longer likely to see the light of day. Can't see it working with anyone really. Charles Bronson is Paul Kersey.
Old 3rd June 2013, 08:23 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Really

I would say thats the best of all the remakes.
The MBV remake is one of my favourite remakes as well. This, the maniac and the hills have eyes remakes are the best imo.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 3rd June 2013, 08:44 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
. I am never a fan of remakes of exploitation especially when they try to cross over into the mainstream UNLESS it is done very well like 'I Spit on your Grave' , I was impressed with that although I hear 'I Spit on Your Grave 2 ' is being made - IMO it doesn't really warrant a sequel.
True although the original I Spit On Your Grave also got a remake, called Savage Vengeance.
Old 4th June 2013, 06:51 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM View Post
My Bloody Valentine 3D, I Spit On Your Grave and Straw Dogs are some of the worst remakes, I Spit on your Grave is worst out of these 3 because the original is still one of the most shocking films ever made. I showed 2 of my friends it last year and one of them never wants me to mention it in front of him again.
Agreed. I've actually not seen Straw Dogs and can't be bothered, but I was genuinely surprised at the positive response to the ISOYG remake which I thought was dreadful and incredibly boring. I felt the same way about MBV 3D.

I didn't, however, find the Last House remake that bad, but then it had a good cast too. Not one I felt like purchasing, but my friend and I came out the cinema surprised at how much it entertained. More so than recent things like The Evil Dead.
SCM likes this.
Old 21st April 2016, 03:44 AM
Cult Master

"Some countries have copyright laws that are a little more liberal than others. Usually produced on a much lower budget with a tenuous grasp of the original plot, these foreign knock-offs can be extremely entertaining. Here are my top 10 foreign knock-off movies that you need to see right away.

HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD – 1980 (Italian – DAWN OF THE DEAD)

George Romero’s 1978 film DAWN OF THE DEAD was the movie that launched a thousand copycats. If a theatre held a film festival of these, you might find yourself stuck in your seat for a few years. However, special attention needs to be paid to Bruno Mattei’s (credited as Vincent Dawn) 1980 tribute HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD also known as VIRUS. The film is a conglomeration of mismatched and poorly cut-together scenes and locations accompanied by a nonsensical plot line. It’s probably the most surreal zombie film you’ll ever see.

BADI – 1983 (Turkey – E.T.)

Turkey (you’ll see that name come up quite a bit) was notorious for churning out thousands of “mock-busters” during the 70s and 80s. However, their version of E.T. has to be the most epic. BADI is mind-blowingly low budget with the most frightening and friendly creature you’ve ever seen. In fact, most of this children’s film is pretty frightening. Still, as far as E.T. rip-offs go it’s better than MAC AND ME.

MAHAKAAL – 1993 (India – A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET)

This NIGHTMARE-inspired Bollywood horror flick doesn’t stray very far from the source material. However, it does find a way to include the standard song and dance numbers you’ve come to expect from Bollywood cinema.

TIME OF THE APES – 1974 (Japan – PLANET OF THE APES)

TIME OF THE APES was actually a TV movie released in Japan in 1974. It was a 26 episode series about three unsuspecting time-travelers who stumble their way into a cryogenic freezer.

LADY TERMINATOR – 1989 (Indonesia – THE TERMINATOR)

Director of my favorite Indonesian horror film, 1981’s MYSTICS IN BALI, Tjut Djalil embarks on a very bold endeavor, co-opt James Cameron’s 1984 classic THE TERMINATOR. In a country not known for its robotics, Djalil converts his terminator into an American archeologist possessed by a sea goddess. I’d venture to say that this version is more explosive and gory than its American source material.

AATANK – 1996 (India – JAWS)

In 1976, Stephen Spielberg’s JAWS not only set box office records, but it launched a landslide of copycat shark films all over the world. From Italy’s THE LAST SHARK to Mexico’s TINTOERA: KILLER SHARK almost every country with a coast line wanted to cash in on these terrors from the deep. AATANK is the answer that age old question, “What would an Indian version of JAWS would be like?” Well here you go.

REPTILLICUS – 1961 (Denmark – GODZILLA)

REPTILLICUS has the distinction of being Denmark’s only giant monster film. Although poorly reviewed, it doesn’t do that bad a job utilizing the tropes created by its Japanese counterparts. And co-produced by American International Pictures, it makes good use of their philosophy of capturing the youth audience with use of sex, violence, and action.

INTIKAM KADINI – 1979 (Turkey – I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE)

This rape-revenge film is Turkey’s first adult movie to be distributed legally. Despite its place in film history, it still looks like to was made on a shoe-string budget over the course of a weekend with a camera someone dropped in the Black Sea five minutes before they started shooting.

A*P*E* – 1976 (South Korea – KING KONG)

This flick lifted so much from the original that RKO actually sued the film’s producers. Because of the lawsuit, the name of the film was changed from THE NEW KING KONG to SUPER APE and then to A*P*E. A tag line was also added to the film’s posters reading “Not to be confused with KING KONG.”

THE MAN WHO SAVED THE WORLD – 1982 (Turkey – STAR WARS)

An extremely blatant example of Turkey’s lack of copyright laws, this film actually uses footage from STAR WARS, brilliantly projected on to green screen. It’s a mind expanding journey through space which could be what STAR WARS looked like if you watched it on acid.

THE DRAGON LIVES AGAIN – 1977 (China – Almost Every Movie You’ve Ever Seen)

The death of Bruce Lee was a tremendous blow to Chinese cinema. Unable to let him go to his final resting place, filmmakers went out on a world-wide search to find someone who could not just take over for “the dragon”, but to also become him. A new genre was created called Brucesploitation giving life to the careers of people like Bruce Le, Bruce Li, and Dragon Lee. THE DRAGON LIVES AGAIN is the work of Bruce Leung, actual name Leung Siu-Lung. Just like other Brucesploitation films, THE DRAGON LIVES AGAIN recreates the style originated by the original Lee, but it also goes out of its way to pay respect, or rip-off, several other popular titles. The story begins with the death of Bruce Lee and follows him as he takes on icons of the time like Dracula, James Bond, Clint Eastwood, Emmanuelle, and the Godfather. He also fights his way through an EXORCIST theme and is joined by both The One-Armed Swordsman and Popeye."

10 Amazing & Bizarre International Knock-Off Movies! | Blumhouse.com

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 21st April 2016, 06:17 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zann View Post
Apparently Sly considered it for a while...mercifully that's no longer likely to see the light of day. Can't see it working with anyone really. Charles Bronson is Paul Kersey.
Well looks it still might with bruce willis
Bruce Willis Is Remaking Death Wish, Here's What We Know - CINEMABLEND

I think most remakes fail because they think big hollywood blockbuster style,
Famous actors, plenty of action, throw lots of money, if they actual concentrated on just making a film then it might work better, a lot of fantastic films and cult when they was made a lot of the actors wernt well known and in some cases the films come across as badly made so bad they was good basket case anyone . I mean you cant beat a lot original films because the storyline atmopshere, tension, great sound track designed for the film and not using music or song from singers and groups. You cant beat original films like quadrophenia, scum, psycho even tho the hitchcock was a famous director thats besides the point, assualt on precint 13, rollerball, half the above films have made and where awful, i mean whats the point of psycho remake when every scene was scene by scene and dont get me started on remake of children of the corn like mentioned earlier, my bloody valentine been split into two i thought it was terrible. If the film industry are going to do remakes then you need someone who a huge fan of the original and concentrate on just making a film and none of the above mentioned. After all look how good isoyg is and become a cult film and yet the original is extremly made with some of the worst acting you ever come across.
keirarts likes this.

Last edited by gag; 21st April 2016 at 06:34 AM.
Old 21st April 2016, 04:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Could I just say that the Straw Dogs redo is utter pants btw.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st April 2016, 07:06 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Could I just say that the Straw Dogs redo is utter pants btw.
I 100% endorse and agree with that statement. As for Death Wish, it's difficult to see it working in post guliani new york. Mind you, I really enjoyed Death sentence with Kevin Bacon.
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!