Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th January 2013, 12:40 AM
Cultist

Default Most Overrated Character?

There are so many legendary characters from the show but who do you think is actually highly overrated?

For me it is Lizzie Birdsworth. She was fun and made me giggle on many occasions but I do not rate her even close to my favourite (though she is in my top 40).
Old 9th January 2013, 10:25 AM
Cultist

I'd say Franky Doyle - I really don't know what all the fuss was about with Franky and she was only around for a mere 20 episodes which is not long enough to make a lasting impression.

Also, Vera Bennett - many people rate her as being on a par with the freak or even superior to the freak (you cannot be serious!) but she was no Joan Ferguson in my honest opinion. I'd rate her no higher than 30s to 40s in a list of the top 50 characters from Prisoner and Franky wouldn't even feature in my top 50.
Old 9th January 2013, 11:03 PM
Cultist

Interesting indeed!! It's what makes the show so fantastic...so many characters appeal to so many different people!
Old 9th May 2013, 01:30 AM
Cult Rookie

Its funny The Govenor how the 2 you selected are my favs for similar reasons... They were both tough, but not overly brutal like The Freak... And they both had a vulnerability that we saw... A bit in Franky but a lot in Vera... Vera is in my top 4 because even though she was tough she had a very validating story line to back it up... The Freak was too much for me.. She just got away with too much too easily...

The character I think is most over rated is Bea Smith... I never liked her top dog tactics... She acted like she was a positive leader for the women, but really she wasn't. She was overbearing and selfish... And just gave up when ever it suited her...
Old 25th May 2013, 02:53 PM
Cultist

I completely agree with you on Bea Smith, she is arguably the most remembered Prisoner by those who have a casual knowledge of the show, and was so over rated.

Don't get me wrong, she had some good storylines and wasn't a bad actress as such, but her character went on a loop which became so sterile and boring. tough, depressed, frustrated, vulnerable... tough, depressed, frustrated, vulnerable...

I wasn't sad when she left and i didn't miss her either. but it would have been good to see even an episode or two later with Bea as a guest, even if it had been an episode of what happened at barnhurst before the barnhurst 5 came to wentworth.

i don't know if she's over rated as such, but a lot of people seem to love Maxine Daniels - i loathed that era, mostly because of her! and she lasted entirely too long.... and Lexie has really been annoying me since she got her sensible haircut ... (I'm currently watching around episode 630) and her stint has also been too long.

JL

Like this? Share it using the links below!