Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th March 2012, 11:27 AM
Cult Rookie

Default Australian subscription television Foxtel set to make a remake of Prisoner!!!!!

I can't believe what I have just found on Facebook!!!!!

'Foxtel has announced a new, contemporary “re-imagining” of Prisoner.

To be titled Wentworth, the series will be produced by FremantleMedia Australia, formerly known as the original producer Grundys.

It will follow the story of newly arrived prisoner Bea Smith, and her ascendancy to the position of ”Top Dog”.

Developed by Lara Radulovich and David Hannam from the original concept by Reg Watson, it will be produced by Fremantle’s new head of drama, Jo Porter, and be filmed in Melbourne.

Foxtel Executive Director of Television, Brian Walsh, said: “Wentworth will be a dynamic and very confronting drama series, developed and stylised specifically for subscription television audiences. We have told producers to push all boundaries and honestly depict life on the inside as it is in 2012.”

FremantleMedia Australia Director of Drama, Jo Porter, said: “Wentworth is a compelling character drama series about women which will take the audience inside a unique environment governed by its own rules.

“The series explores the politics of women in a world with few men, and how the experience both challenges and changes them, sometimes for the better. It’s a drama series built on the great Australian tradition of overcoming the odds to find mateship and belonging in the most unlikely circumstances. We’re very excited to be casting for so many strong female characters.”

FremantleMedia Chief Executive Asia Pacific, Ian Hogg, said: “An entire generation of
Australians grew up watching Prisoner and another is about to do the same with Wentworth.

“It will be bold, relevant and adventurous. Most importantly, its foundations will be built on amazing stories and wonderful characters.”

A new version was originally on TEN’s 2011 drama slate as Inside Out telling the story of an innocent woman thrown in jail, who comes to realise getting even is the best revenge, written by Ian Bradley and developed by Freehand.

Brian Walsh recently hinted at the new series, telling TV Tonight, “One of the Dramas will be a big ensemble piece, shot in Melbourne. I expect we’ll announce that in the next week or two. It will be broadcast later this year on the W Channel.”

This marks at least the second remake for Prisoner which was remade for the US market as Dangerous Women as well as a stage musical for the UK.

Foxtel has enjoyed ongoing success with reruns of the original series which regularly delivers a solid audience on 111 HITS.

The original series, which aired between 1979 and 1986, remains one of Australia’s most enduring and beloved dramas.'

How do we all feel abut this????
iluvdvds@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 4th March 2012, 12:24 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Personally, this sounds like terrific news! Who wouldn't want to see Wentworth back on the small screen?! I can't wait for it - I'm going to be glued to the box when it's finally aired
Old 4th March 2012, 12:37 PM
Cult Rookie

Do you reckon any of the original cast might make an appearance? I'd love to see at least some cameo appearances ( not necessarily as their original character) for that kitsch factor!
Old 4th March 2012, 12:49 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Do you reckon any of the original cast might make an appearance? I'd love to see at least some cameo appearances ( not necessarily as their original character) for that kitsch factor!
Good question! I'd imagine there would be cameos but the cast are getting on a bit now and since this is set at the start of Bea's sentence it'll be interesting to see how its done. What do you think?
Old 4th March 2012, 09:29 PM
Cult Rookie

Lol they certainly are getting on! But still, most of them are still kicking so you never know! I wonder who on earth they are going to find to play the iconic Queen Bea, they are some damn big shoes to fill. Maybe they will have Val Lehman back as governor of Wentworth!
Old 6th March 2012, 05:47 AM
Cultist

No cameos at all and its completely different
Prisoner remake Wentworth
Old 6th March 2012, 05:56 AM
Cult Rookie

Thanks Robert! That article answers lots of questions I had. I don't know what I think about the new show yet It is hard to approach without trepidation and a bit of prejudice having loved the original so very much but I guess there is always room for new things in life ... we'll see

Like this? Share it using the links below!