Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > The UK DVD Box Sets > Prisoner: Cell Block H - Vol 13 (Episodes 385 -416)

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd May 2012, 06:17 PM
Cultist

Got mine today
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:39 PM
Cultist in Training

me too. gonna start tonight.

it's so ****ing addictive. love it.
Old 4th May 2012, 09:11 AM
Cultist

I'm only 3 episodes in and already volume 13 has gone off with a blast (literally!).

I'm really enjoying it so far.

It's funny how you can remember some moments and storylines from episodes when they were originally broadcast but not others.

I kind of vaguely remember the bomb blast but only the bit where po face says 'This is MY job' outside the boiler room before being pinned to the wall by Lionel Fellow's henchman and the bit where one of the bombs goes off outside Bea's cell in solitary.

I also vaguely recall the very bitchy Lucy Ferguson, played so superbly by Yuni Prior. It's nice to see the tables being turned on the Freak for a change.

If I'm right, I think Joan may eventually help her dastardly niece to escape from Wentworth.

The years 1982 and 1983 really were the show at the peak of its powers IMO

All this excitement so far and with the arrival of Sonia Stevens and departure of Bea Smith still to come it looks like volume 13 is going to be one of the very best boxsets to date.
Old 6th May 2012, 03:16 AM
Cultist in Training

lol.. we're almost neck and neck.. i'm on disc 3..

loved the bomb story. i don't remember it at all. i'm wondering if i missed it first time around. i watched in the Central region between 1989-1991.

Maxine has been shot dead.. good riddance. most annoying character to date. her stupid squeaky baby voice grated on me since day dot. argggh.

just gone passed the contagious disease outbreak episodes.

and sadly yes Bea will be leaving in a few more.

over and out!
Old 9th May 2012, 07:35 AM
Cult Rookie

I'm getting used to H Block without Bea..... Again
Old 9th May 2012, 02:05 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyJM View Post
I'm getting used to H Block without Bea..... Again
i hear you. i got half way through #401, turned it off and went to bed.
Old 9th May 2012, 03:45 PM
Cult Rookie

Yeah it's at a point where it seems lost for a while and somehow in limbo even Lizzie doesn't seem herself and I forgot how annoying Minnie Donovan was :-s although Cass Parker is as great as I remember her. I don't think the show really finds its feet again until Myra gets locked up and becomes Top Dog.
Old 10th May 2012, 12:14 PM
Cultist

I'm not up to those episodes yet but I certainly think that by the time Bea Smith came to be transferred to Barnhurst the character had already begun to assume a lesser importance anyway having been knocked sideways by the seminal character of the Freak played by the legendary Maggie Kirkpatrick.

And her exit also paved the way for the introduction of some new characters to the series which wasn't necessarily a bad thing as I have always regarded the 2nd half of the serial as being superior to the first half, some of which was a little turgid.

And in terms of Wentworth top dogs I have always regarded the character of Myra Desmond as being at least on a par with that of Bea Smith.
Old 10th May 2012, 05:18 PM
Cult Rookie

And in terms of Wentworth top dogs I have always regarded the character of Myra Desmond as being at least on a par with that of Bea Smith.[/QUOTE]

Agree with Myra being on a Par with Bea ( Although I will ever be a Bea Devotee). I thinks it's because they more or less had the same principles. I'm looking forward to Myra getting banged up and taking over the Press
Old 10th May 2012, 05:38 PM
Cultist

I think the character of Myra had, if anything, a bit more depth, a bit more light and shade to her. She was more of a pragmatist.

She also had one of the best exits of any character in the serial, bowing out in the fantastic terrorist seige episodes and dying a hero.

Although paradoxically, killing Myra off at that time was probably just about the biggest mistake the producers ever made IMO and Maggie K had to pretty much carry the show single handedly thereafter.

None of which detracts from the character of Bea of course who was great too (and the original top dog of Wentworth) and some super performances from Val Lehman as well

Last edited by The~Governor; 10th May 2012 at 06:24 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!