Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Prisoner: Cell Block H - Vol 7 (Episodes 193 - 224) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Vera 'Vinegar Tits' Bennett (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/prisoner-cell-block-h-vol-7-episodes-193-224/5215-vera-vinegar-tits-bennett.html)

prisonerjohn 28th March 2011 09:22 AM

Vera 'Vinegar Tits' Bennett

From the very first episode, the character of Vera is highly intriguing. Superbly portrayed by Fiona Spence, the officer's harshness towards the women and sometimes other staff members nearly always results in her receiving some method of revenge, whether physical or verbal.

Vera has no real friends or social life what so ever outside of Wentworth, and therefore makes her job the principle aspect of her life. In contrast to her outside world, Wentworth allows Vera to have some authority over other people and gives her purpose in her otherwise rather empty life.

Though, at times, Vera causes conflicts for no apparent reason and can be quite hurtful when willing to be, a part of me can feel a bit sorry for her at certain points. On the whole, Vera's attitude towards the inmates is predominanty and she considers the idea of rehabilitation a complete waste of time. Having said this, the woman is very much a fighter and most certainly one of the show's most iconic characters. I will always remember Vera's numerous confrontations with Erica Davidson.

Some of Vera's best moments, exploits and events (that I can remember off hand):

Episode 1 - Christened 'Vinegar Tits' by Franky
Episode 3 - Plays a big part in provoking Franky's riot
Episode 7 - Supposedly house-bound mother dies
Episode 16 - Framed by Bea, Lizzie and Monica and later suspended
Episodes 32/33 - Tied up by George Lucas
Episodes 39/40 - Loses the position of deputy governor to Jim Fletcher
Episode 54 - Held at fork-point by Martha Eaves
Episode 75 - Made fun of during the Christmas concert
Episode 121 - Stripped of her uniform and tied up during the rooftop demonstration
Episodes 140-141 - Teams up with Kay White against Bea
Episode 144 - Attacked outside her home for pressurising Tracey Morris
Episode 148 - One-night stand with Damien Travena
Episode 155 - Turns up to work drunk and gets her keys pinched. A group of the women later force feed her alchohol
Episodes 214-223 - Develops a romance with Terry Harrison which almost concludes in the pair getting married
Episode 224 - Leaves Wentworth for good to become the governor of Barnhurst

mr 420 28th March 2011 04:06 PM

I've really enjoyed Fiona Spence's portrayal of Vera. So much more than a one dimensional character, she played her with a wide range of emotions. She wasn't always the nasty one, as her scenes with her tending to Meg after she had been shot show. At the end of the day though, the bad always managed to rise to the top. I think this due to her 'programming' by her mother. One of the better, more rounded characters that Prisoner produced.

Phantom_Lagger 28th March 2011 08:19 PM

Have to agree. I love how she's more sympathetic and less merely psychotic than the Freak. It always bugs me that Joan's home life is so nice and twee, and I can't find any reason for her behaviour at work, which I can with Vera. She was more a stickler for the rules than anything worse, although she did enjoy her shit-stirring.

mr 420 31st March 2011 10:58 AM

I'm enjoying Vera's new found vigor for the job under Gillespie in vol 6. I could imagine her seeing him as her perfect man!:eek::loco:

Scott@OnTheInside 8th April 2011 04:08 PM

I loved Vera's character. Terrifically played by the wonderful Fiona Spence she showed Vera indeed as a prisoner of her own life, taunted through the years by her own mother and then when she sadly passed away Vera was left alone - a prisoner of her lonliness.

I did feel sorry for her at times, the women quite rightly gave her a hard time but she did have a soft spot for old Lizzie. I really wanted Vera to be lucky in love before she left the series but alas her career meant the world to her and nothing was going to get in the way of her sitting in the governor's seat!

Heffnersheri48 22nd July 2012 06:37 PM

Vera Bennett

Vera was my very favorite screw. She was tough, but she was so lonely. I always hoped she would get herself a permanent boyfriend. I particularly felt sorry for her when her Fiancee Terry Harrison was killed off. But we were jipped out of a good performance when they ended the scene with Vera sobbing hysterically in Meg's office.:mmph: