Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > The UK DVD Box Sets > Prisoner: Cell Block H - Vol 8 (Episodes 225 - 256)

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:44 PM
Cultist in Training

Probably like half of the fans that Prisoner has today, I wasn't even born when the show was first made or broadcast in the UK. I remember distinctly, my mum buying a collection of rather ropey home-recorded episodes of the show off the internet when I was about twelve. She had watched Prisoner when it was broadcast on STV around the 1990s. With the family gathered in the living room having our tea, she put on the first episode and I couldn't believe it. This Australian prison drama, which I had never heard of before, was the best thing I had ever seen. The dramatic sense of tension and excitement that the show has, together with its light-hearted humour and overall warmth somehow appealed to me. In particular, the scene of Franky nick-naming a certain warder 'Vinegar Tits'. I seem to recall searching the web for more information about the show and finding On The Inside, the official fan club website. I soon subscribed to their regular newsletter, which brought the brilliant news of the entire series being released on DVD in Australia. In 2008 (at least I think it was then), my mum gave me the first two volumes for my birthday, and whenever I watch any of the episodes from those two sets, I makes me think of the terrific woman who introduced me to such an iconic and truly enjoyable series. A series that I now proudly have every episode of in my bookshelf. In more recent years, I have taken great pleasure in contributing a few character biographies to On The Inside in my spare time. A couple of weeks back, I gave a talk at college about my fondness of the show and included a short clip. Some of the listeners got my meaning while others sat with confused looks on their faces in response to what I had shown them - a mere example of an extraordinary and highly addictive classic show that now 18-year-old me has come to love.

So, to all the folks of Wentworth (the good, the evil and Lizzie Birdsworth) - you're the absolute best!

Last edited by prisonerjohn; 24th June 2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 24th June 2011, 11:22 AM
Blogs Moderator

I published an update blog to help publicize the ongoing competition.

I've quoted posts by Deldread, Dumpster and Robert. Particularly have empathy with the chap who failed his exams by watching to many PCBH episodes.

UPDATE BLOG
Old 24th June 2011, 12:09 PM
Cult Rookie

Why I think I'm the UK's biggest prisoner fan

For my girlfriend's and my first anniversary, I bought her a gift that allowed you to create an Andy Warhol style print (like his Marily Monroe one) of any picture you choose.

I was going to get it done as a picture of her, but then I sat and had a wee think about, and thought this would be a much better idea....

This picture now takes pride of place on the bookshelf - glaring down at me while I'm eating my dinner!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg freak.jpg (21.2 KB, 4 views)
Sam@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 24th June 2011, 12:52 PM
Cult Rookie

My first bit of madness was was probably in 1989, arranged to go to Torquay on holidays on the saturday to stay in a caravan but because I knew that TSW ITV broadcast Prisoner on a friday night, my mate and I decided to drive the 250 odd miles the night before so I could get there before 10:40pm to watch their episode, went straight after work on the friday and got there just in time.

Second bit of madness was buying a S-VHS video recorder which then cost £1000 just so I could record Prisoner in better quality (a single 4hr S-VHS tape cost £10 in those days) and I recorded Prisoner on S-VHS tape right until the end on HTV (approx 100 tapes in total) For anyone that doesnt kno- S-VHS tapes would record with approx 4x the picture quality of normal vhs. Cost me a bloody fortune!!

Third bit of madness was travelling around the country following Prisoner cell Block H: The musical with Maggie K and Lily Savage, managed to see if 17 times and visited cities including Swansea, Manchester, Liverpool, Blackpool, Sunderland, Edinburgh, Oxford etc etc

Fourth bit of madness was setting my alarm clock every morning for 04:35 so I could record Prisoner on S-VHS off channel 5, I would force myself to stay awake so I could pause the adverts and I did this from episode 1 until I caught up with the episodes I started recording in S-VHS from HTV (episode 476 if i remember correctly) BONKERS!!

More madness... Booked to see Maggie Millar in Newcastle, had to fly from Cardiff International Airport to Edinburgh Airport and then get a train down to Newcastle to see Maggie, so 3 countiries just to see Maggie (Wales/Scotland/England) ok It sounds a lot more than it actually was but Maggie seemed impressed!! Haha

Oh yeah this is probably the most bonkers thing I did, I used to live in a small village in south wales which is surrounded by mountains, our local ITV region was HTV Wales but I was convinced that if I bought a big enough and powerful enough tv aerial then I would be able to pick up other ITV regions and tune into their episode of Prisoner (all the regions showed different episodes of Prisoner in those days), I visited my local aerial shop and purchased one of those huge aerials (about 6fth long and heavy!) that had a motor, which allowed me to rotate it by remote control, I plonked it on my mothers washing line pole to get maximum height, I sat in my bedroom with this rediculous remote control watching this huge aerial revolving and discovering it didnt even pick up HTV Wales very well so I kept rotating back and forth and becuase it was so big and heavy I heard this almighty crash as the constant revolving plus the weight of it brought my mams washing line pole crashing to the floor!! Nightmare, funny though when I think back, I was only 17 or 18 so I was a bit daft then haha!
Old 24th June 2011, 02:29 PM
Blogs Moderator

I think I see a theme developing in extreme lag-hood. An overwhelming desire to sacrifice normal life in the pursuit of a late night fix. Exams, holidays, the good will of friends and neighbours... All are as nothing compared with shaky cell doors, sadistic wardens and Bea Smith at the press.
Old 24th June 2011, 02:39 PM
Cult Rookie

Flaming Galah!

That trumps me. Well done Simey
Sam@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 24th June 2011, 02:42 PM
Blogs Moderator

Ok lads... There's only one way to decide this. I want to see fresh PCBH tattoos posted on Monday.

If anyone turns up with a full back piece of Bea Smith and The Freak fighting they win!
Old 27th June 2011, 05:21 PM
Cult Rookie

Send a message via MSN to joaniefwergusondivine Send a message via Yahoo to joaniefwergusondivine Send a message via Skype™ to joaniefwergusondivine
Unhappy gotta be be

Well I changed my name to "Joan Ferguson" by deed poll so I think I should win
Old 27th June 2011, 07:38 PM
Blogs Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaniefwergusondivine View Post
Well I changed my name to "Joan Ferguson" by deed poll so I think I should win
Do you have the papers to prove this?
Old 27th June 2011, 08:57 PM
Cult Rookie

Send a message via MSN to joaniefwergusondivine Send a message via Yahoo to joaniefwergusondivine Send a message via Skype™ to joaniefwergusondivine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Cult Labs View Post
Do you have the papers to prove this?
I do indeed, also my middle name is Elphaba because f Maggie Kirkpatrick being in Wicked... I'm more of a fans of hers than anything else. but Prisoner is my all time obsession :-)

Like this? Share it using the links below!