Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > Prisoner's Fan File

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th June 2011, 12:38 PM
Cult Rookie

Default stuartlacey1977

i never got to see the musical version of prisoner. would be good for all those that didnt if it was released on dvd.... from what i hear, the musical was quite good.
Old 9th July 2011, 09:50 PM
Cult Rookie

The fan made episode 692 that a few have mentioned here was exactly that, it was made by a few prisoner fans who ran a fanzine called The Block in the early 90's. I saw it screened at a prisoner convention in Durham, it was basically a few of the guys dressed up as some of the inmates/screws which they filmed with a video recorder and yes it was awful but it was only made for a laugh.

Re Prisoner Cell Block H: The musical. The musical premiered in London's west end in 1995 at the Queens theatre before going on tour in 96 and again in 97. I saw the show 18 times all around the country and it was absolutely fantastic, very tongue in cheek and totally OTT. There were plans to film the musical but it was blocked by Grundy over copyright so unfortunately it will never be seen again. I have an audio recording of the final show at Edinburgh's festival Theatre in 97 which I recorded with a dictaphone on my lap, the sound is poor but most of the dialogue can be followed and all the songs are there. Great times!!
Old 10th July 2011, 07:06 PM
Cult Rookie

I'd love to have seen Prisoner: The Musical or any of the stage plays in fact, but alas, it never happened. You never know though - perhaps one day there will be another one?!
Old 14th August 2011, 09:44 PM
Cult Rookie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisoner00001 View Post
I'd love to have seen Prisoner: The Musical or any of the stage plays in fact, but alas, it never happened. You never know though - perhaps one day there will be another one?!
That would be great to see another one. I was not old enough to have gone to see it the first time round, but now I am old enough, I would make sure that I wouldn't miss it for the world.
Old 9th December 2011, 11:10 AM
Cult Rookie

Default Episode 693

Has anybody here seen this episode? The fan-made one.
iluvdvds@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 9th December 2011, 11:13 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Ooh this does sound very intriguing! I can't say I've seen that myself - what happens in it?
Old 9th December 2011, 11:14 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

And welcome to the Prisoner forum, marilyns!
Old 9th December 2011, 11:19 AM
Cult Addict

I've found a re-cap for it on youtube. I'm not sure if this is the one that MM is talking about though?

Edit: After watching it myself, I can confirm that it is only a re-cap of the last episode and not the fan made one.
Old 9th December 2011, 11:20 AM
Cult Rookie

Default Thanks

Thanks for the welcome there.

Here is a copy of what Wikipedia says of Episode 693.

Episode 693 was a fan-made new episode of the series which was exhibited at a 1995 "Prisoner: Cell Block H" convention in Durham in the UK. The convention was organised by the editors of "The Block", the now defunct unofficial fanzine, which ran from 1993-1998. Episode 693 featured Joan Ferguson, Dennis Cruikshank, Erica Davison, Lizzie Birdsworth, Myra Desmond, Bobbie Mitchell, Reb Kean, Frank Burke, Barbara Fields, Vera Bennett and Joyce Barry. The storylines centred around Vera Bennett's incarceration inside Wentworth after being convicted of fraud at Barnhurst, and her attempts to escape in a hot air balloon with the help of Barbara Fields. The Freak uses Reb to sell acid pills to the women disguised as smarties and Top Dog Myra ends up being chucked into the washing machine by Reb and Frank. Bobbie and Lizzie's booze-making hi-jinks come to a sticky end for Barbara when the whole lot explodes in a fire bomb, just as Vera is making her escape!

Oh how I wish to see this episode!!!!!!!
Old 9th December 2011, 11:27 AM
Cult Addict

I have just remembered that there is already a thread that concerns this very subject! go to 'get involved in the uk dvds' and then 'dvd extras' and you will find out all about it on the first page. I knew that rang a bell!
iluvdvds@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!