Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > The Rec Room - Series Debate

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ScottishMermaid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th December 2012, 03:10 PM
Cultist

Default Best Directors

We've had a thread for the best writers. Now, who do you think were the finest behind the scenes lens men to work on Prisoner?

Here are my picks

Kendal Flanagan - responsible for 100 plus episodes of the cult serial; more than any other director. I liked the horror style feel that he invariably brought to the episodes he directed. His episodes are a cross between Crossroads and a slasher flick - Prisoner at its best. Later on, after Prisoner had finished its long run he went on to direct the low budget Oz slasher flick, Houseboat horrors.

Sean Nash - Climbing his way up from being an unpaid studio sweeper to a director of top rating TV shows, I loved the inventive directing style that he brought to the eps he handled. Amongst others, he was responsible for directing the fight sequence between Len Murphy and the Freak in late 1984 and also directed 692 - the last ever episode of the series made.

Chris Adshead - He handled the infamous fight sequence between the freak and Bea in 326 - the finest episode of the series ever made bar none and also directed the terroist seige episodes in which Myra met her maker.

Lex Van Os - The only inidividual to serve separately as a writer, director and producer on the show and responsible for directing the episode where Joan knocks seven bells out of Chrrisie in her prison cell.

Any opinions?
Old 17th December 2012, 07:48 PM
Cultist

Sean Nash and Chris Adshead probably. I loved the Myra seige and the final episode was amazing.

I don't recall who directed the Lou Kelly riot...do you know? That was really fantastic stuff too.
Old 18th December 2012, 05:06 AM
Cultist

Lou's riot was directed by Steve Mann & Kendal Flanagan.

Steve Mann directed the first part with the kangaroo court in the dining room which resulted in the shocking death of Eve Wilder.

Kendal directed the second part and the fight between the freak and Lou in the laundry as Bob Moran looks on from the sidelines.

Last edited by The~Governor; 18th December 2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 18th December 2012, 02:40 PM
Cultist

Yes, that's right. I would have to add them two to my favourites too. They both directed some great episodes.
The~Governor likes this.
Old 19th December 2012, 11:34 AM
Cultist

theres something to be said for the Chrissie Latham beating tho... Joanie at her absolute worst... the most disgusting thing veteran gov Erica had ever seen (apparently) - those were some good eps! not just the beating but the whole lead up, i think both actresses did an amazing job. and as usual, Chrissie was her own worst enemy...

JL

Like this? Share it using the links below!