Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > The Rec Room - Series Debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th September 2010, 01:35 PM
Blogs Moderator

Default Rack Off Vinegar Tits! : Favourite Prisoner Memories

There's an official thread elsewhere, this ones for Prisoner fans of a certain vintage who see the show as perfect slacker entertainment.

For me, Prisoner was a show that saw me and my friends gather after the pub to waste the early hours because there was no reason to get up early. These days, ITV is a wash with TV shopping and brain dead phone-in quiz shows, but in the early 90s, in between the odd eccentric film choices, in my region you could watch Cell Block H up to three glorious times a week.

In a late teen/early twenties haze of post-pub otherness, I reveled in the trashy, B-Movie stylings of the show as it lept wildly from one deliriously outrageous storyline to the next, pausing occasionally for a little soapy comedy or a minor domestic drama among the screws, inserted to offer a pause for breath before the inmates shaved a women's head, smuggled drugs under the fence in a remote control car or tried to escape hidden inside a model robot.

In this regard, Prisoner Cell Block H is less a Soap Opera and more a kind of rolling Grindhouse movie, it's exploitation plot lines given room to breathe over an excess of 600+ hour long episodes. Malevolent screws and Bull Dyke warders reigned supreme like in any of the more sexually charged Z-Grade Chicks-in-Chains movies of Jess Franco or Jack Hill. Being a TV show from a very conservative country, most of the more explicit scenes take place conviently off camera, both I think for reasons of good taste and sometimes budget, but the comparison rings true.

MISUNDERSTOOD DYKE FRANKY DOYLE

In some of the earliest episodes, Tough Lesbian Franky escapes with the simple-minded but kind-hearted Doreen and their adventures evading the law have a flat, Z-Grade style that could have shown on any 42nd Street screen with the inclusion of a little more skin and a tad more Sadism.

Likewise, the tragic tale of naive babynapper Lynne Warner is as gritty and downbeat as the fate that befalls so many fallen women in the world of Exploitation, from Thriller... a Cruel Picture to Tarantino's Kill Bill. Raped abused and wrongly convicted, Lynne is set free only to fall for a criminal who loves her but is fatally flawed by his amoral desires. Dragged into a violent robbery by her own pathetic weakness, she winds up back inside, her baby miscarried and her life shattered beyond measure.

FALLEN WOMEN LYNNE WARNER

Sounds like the plot to a cheap, trashy movie if you ask me...
Old 19th September 2010, 05:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I used to love PCBH!! Was my idea of TV heaven (and hell of course!) .... I used to watch it religiously on TV when I was young ... the cliffhangers were great! I was always dreading the first lines to the song, "You used to bring me roses .....". I couldn't til the next week!

My fondest memories were of one of the inmates called Nola McKenzie ... I kind of tough rival to Bea Smith. I remember Bea being in solitary and Nola trying to drive her over the edge by pretending to be the ghost of Bea's lost daughter Debbie. Bea eventually got out and shot Nola with a make-shift gun. One of the saddest days of my life ... I loved old Nola!

Now rack off the lot of ya!

Old 19th September 2010, 06:15 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I used to love watching Prisoner at stupid hours too. Usually went to bed when Coach came on though..
Old 19th September 2010, 06:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Watched repeats for years but somehow never actually got to see the very end! 600 + episodes ... I aint surprised really!
Old 20th September 2010, 10:23 AM
Blogs Moderator

Coach was like ITVs kindly way of saying 'time for bed'. Anyone foolhardy enough to survive past that show would then be tortured with Night Shift, a programme about night workers starring Mr Bennet, the caretaker who from the Tony Hart shows. Watching that could actually age you.
Old 20th September 2010, 04:05 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Although Coach coming on was sometimes when Teletext came in handy.
Old 20th September 2010, 04:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I think the numbingly boring Jobfinder was in similar vein to Teletext.

Old 20th September 2010, 04:57 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

"he used to give me roses, i wish he would again" totally forgot about that theme song. classic, wasn't Helen Daniels off of neighbours in this at some point or was that son's and daughters
Old 20th September 2010, 04:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Pedro, I think there were about 6 "actors" in total all across Australia! They appeared in EVERYTHING that was ever produced down there!

Old 20th September 2010, 06:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yay! How glad am I that Prisoner has got another thread on Cult Labs and now the PR is been handled by The Associates and not Noble PR.

Like this? Share it using the links below!