Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > The Rec Room - Series Debate
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th January 2012, 03:09 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Favourite PCBH Villian

My favourite has gotta be Margo Gaffney, she was such a good character and was so heartless starting from episode 199
Old 21st July 2012, 12:00 AM
Cult Rookie

Default How could you pick just one...

...there were so many great villains throughout Prisoner - and I reckon it is a huge part of the show that we all love - the quality, variety and frequency of the villains.

Most of you have already mentioned some of my faves, like Jock Stewart, Marie Winter, Nola Mackenzie, Bev Baker, Angel Adams and Sonia Stevens - and they were all fantastic characters.

To those I would add Neil Murray, David Bridges and Dr Kate Peterson - I especially loved seeing the rise, fall, and eventual jump-off-the-deep-end of Kate.
Old 14th October 2012, 05:56 PM
Cultist

Just watched the Bev baker Episodes and I'm disappointed she was only among for such a limited stretch... i know it would have been hard to keep here in there for long, but a while longer would have been good... I've only just met Angel too, and so far I'm enjoying the deviousness....

Marie cracks me up the same way Margo does... they are both hard crims but they can never get it right and end up failing but i love em! i wish Nola had been in the show during a more exciting era... my least fave era so far is the Maxine Daniels years, i think the character of Nola would have been even better a little later on. she was truly a fantastic villain tho.

Jock was disgustingly good in that role... perfectly cast and in it just long enough. made quite a splash. Neil Murray and David bridges had the potential to go further which would have been good, but it was all wrapped up too suddenly (especially bridges) for me.

Kate and Kay were both really fun characters too, and Sonia was pure class all the way.

i don't really see Joan as a villain as such...

I love em all... always gives much needed drama behind the bars!

JL
Old 14th October 2012, 06:22 PM
Cult Rookie

Yeah I reckon they could have squeezed in at least one more kill from David Bridges before it got too unbelievable. But who would be his extra victim? I'm trying to think of a character form that period that I would have been happy to see go..... hmm... Mrs O'Reagan, maybe?
jamie_leigh44 likes this.
Old 14th October 2012, 06:57 PM
Cultist

I personally think that he should have killed Lizzie, her departure, not unlike Erica and Bea's was very weak after the hype. And i think a more dramatic departure would have been more elegant. i didn't even realise she'd left properly until i consulted wikipedia. a bit slow on the uptake.

JL
Old 15th October 2012, 06:50 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_leigh44 View Post
I personally think that he should have killed Lizzie

JL
Wow, that feels like a controversial choice, seeing as Lizzie was so beloved to so many. BUT... it would certainly fit right, storywise anyway. I reckon that if there was even the slightest possibility of Sheila Florence returning in any capacity whatsoever, they would want the character of Lizze waiting for her to step back into.

From reading some of your other comments, JL, I think you aren't that far behind me - I have been re-watching them all from the beginning again and I am currently up to 530. There is nothing like escaping to a quiet room and spending some quality time with the ladies of Wentworth.
Old 15th October 2012, 09:03 PM
Cultist

Lol, controversial maybe, i loved Lizzie too, just a definite ending for someone seems better in my opinion, so many memorable people were just shipped on... Chrissie, Cass, Margo, Helen, Bea, and yes there was always the chance they could return which was good... but then people like Paddy Sharon Gilmour and Mouse will always be part of that prisoner legend because they died there. along with a few others like Leanne Burke, Barbara fields and Anne Yates etc etc.... when Lizzie left i didn't even notice for episodes later.

I would have loved to see Lizzie come back even short term but it was unlikely to happen. oh well.

yeah seems I'm right on your tail. I've been watching them as they've been released here in the UK since my cousin (Scottish mermaid) got my the first box set. its a bitch waiting months between some of the volumes and im now at the end of volume 15... 16 n 17 (November) will have to wait for me to get some money organized... I'm also not a great you tuber.

you're definitely right about escaping into a world of wentworth! - problem is once you start you cant stop, I've lost countless nights of sleep watching these disks straight thru, its one hell of an addiction! can't wait for the next set... in deep amongst the dance marathon (Bev is sadly gone too soon, but Angels doing a good job of stirring...) I'm really enjoying this era, and Bobbie and Marlene aren't really annoying me, unlike most people!

this is my first time watching the show, i saw the odd episode when i was younger but remember nothing except Joan ripping Maxine's posters off her wall and Maxine crying... 20 years later and i still enjoyed that scene... and I'm still not a fan of Maxine!

JL
Old 16th October 2012, 04:48 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_leigh44 View Post
yeah seems I'm right on your tail. I've been watching them as they've been released here in the UK since my cousin (Scottish mermaid) got my the first box set. its a bitch waiting months between some of the volumes and im now at the end of volume 15... 16 n 17 (November) will have to wait for me to get some money organized... I'm also not a great you tuber.

you're definitely right about escaping into a world of wentworth! - problem is once you start you cant stop, I've lost countless nights of sleep watching these disks straight thru, its one hell of an addiction! can't wait for the next set... in deep amongst the dance marathon (Bev is sadly gone too soon, but Angels doing a good job of stirring...) I'm really enjoying this era, and Bobbie and Marlene aren't really annoying me, unlike most people!

this is my first time watching the show, i saw the odd episode when i was younger but remember nothing except Joan ripping Maxine's posters off her wall and Maxine crying... 20 years later and i still enjoyed that scene... and I'm still not a fan of Maxine!

JL
LOL, yes, it can eat into your time - although luckily I am self-employed and work from home, so I just stick them on in the background while I am working. I used to work for a national broadcaster in what they call "the Duty Office" answering calls and correspondence from viewers (sometimes about this very show), and everyone in the company had a TV on their desk - ever since then I find it really difficult to work if I dont have the TV or video on in the background.

If you enjoyed the Maxine, Freak and poster scene, you will see something similar crop up very soon - in the second half of the series lifespan there were a LOT of repeated or very similar storylines. And the scene to come which is similar to Maxine's poster ripping ALSO features a prisoner who is bloody irritating! (although I don't think Maxine was that annoying, I really liked her).
Old 16th October 2012, 06:26 PM
Cultist

well, to each their own with Maxine... i personally wasn't that bothered by Doooor but most people seem to hate her.

yes, there certainly seem to be a lot of repeated story arch's, i don't really mind it so much if they add something but the rip off of Karen and Greg with Scott and that prisoner was so boring, nothing really happened at all to warrant it.

I do love to "waste" my time in this show that ended like 30 years ago, lol, but nothing currant even compares to it. and at least you have the time to properly indulge, thats good times!

JL
Old 17th October 2012, 08:01 PM
Cultist

I think my favourite villain has to be Lou Kelly. There are so many to choose from, though! heehee. But oh god I loved her, hahaha.

The Lou Kelly riot was brilliant TV...

And yes...it DOES take over your life. I got fed up waiting for the DVDs to be released, so in June I decided that I couldn't wait any longer and resorted to watching on YouTube. Although not the same as watching on disc, it has been so good being able to watch every night...I finished the second half within just over a month...whereas it took me 3 years to watch the first half with the DVDs...LOL. Now I am watching from the start again and am in the 170s again...loving catching up with my old buddies...I would have said Vera was my fave villain but then I do not see her as a villain, I think she was just a lonely sweetie...LOL. Devious maybe, but villain?...nah!! lol. So yeah..now I cannot go to bed without having a prisoner session...even just one episode to curb the craving, LOL!!
jamie_leigh44 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!