Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The Rec Room - Series Debate (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Who is your favourite villain? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/rec-room-series-debate/4690-who-your-favourite-villain.html)

Scott@OnTheInside 16th February 2011 08:08 PM

Who is your favourite villain?

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts about their favourite villain from the series - screw, inmate or other!

I'm putting together a piece for the forthcoming Prisoner book and am really interested in hearing your feelings on the likes of Marie Winter, Bev Baker, Angel Adams, Jock Stewart etc.

What did you love to hate about these characters? Do you have a favourite scene of theirs?

For me I absolutely LOVED Marie Winter. Fantastically played by Maggie Millar, her helicopter escape has to be up there with one of Prisoner's finest moments!

mr 420 17th February 2011 11:50 AM

For me, no one even comes close to Ernest Craven. Not only was he evil, but he was seriously cool with it. No woman was safe with him around!

mr 420 17th February 2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott@OnTheInside (Post 128707)

For me I absolutely LOVED Marie Winter. Fantastically played by Maggie Millar, her helicopter escape has to be up there with one of Prisoner's finest moments!

That very scene is up in the clips section. One of my favourites too!

Scott@OnTheInside 18th February 2011 07:44 PM

You're so right about Craven, he was seriously scary but really well played I thought. I was also a little scared of Jock Stewart in my younger days too!

mr 420 19th February 2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott@OnTheInside (Post 129203)
You're so right about Craven, he was seriously scary but really well played I thought. I was also a little scared of Jock Stewart in my younger days too!

Nah, not me. Just reminded me of a Glaswegian uncle of mine. He (my uncle) even had the sideburns!

Lillyivimia 22nd February 2011 05:30 AM

Nola McKenzie made a superb villain. She was confident and had the brains and brawns to back that confidence up. I remember all too well watching her episodes when they were broadcast in my region and always being on the edge of my seat when Nola and Bea got into another confrontation. I really did worry that Bea may have bitten off more than she couild chew and that she would finally be toppled. Nola really was that oustanding as a villainj.

Another favourite of mine is Bev Baker. THe nature of her crimes elevated Bev to a higher level of fear and intimidartion without her even having to do or say anything ... but when she started playing her chilling games with the women, well, she became a very frightening force indeed. The only niggle for me with Bev is the fact that her storyline weas so protracted. She could have been so much better if she had been allowed to confront Myra in a genuine Top Dog battle. It might have been interesting to even see Bev win for a few episodes, with Myra in hospital after a savage attack or something.

Then, of course, there's Sonia Stevens. Another brilliantly realised villainess. Her cold demeanour and assured composure combined with her sharp intellect to rise her above the common herd. Her alliance with Joan against Bea made for interesting television.

mr 420 22nd February 2011 11:24 AM

There is a good Bev baker piece in the clips section.

Lillyivimia 22nd February 2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 130246)
There is a good Bev baker piece in the clips section.

Thanks for that --- I'll have a look for it.:cool:

Wilf 22nd February 2011 07:48 PM

Marie Winter has always been my favourite villain. Love her cocksure swagger and the fact that every time she comes to Wentworth, there's a riot! Her return in the Desmond years gave the show a much-needed kick up the arse. Was always very sorry we didn't see her again when Reet went to Blackmoor.

Scott@OnTheInside 22nd February 2011 08:26 PM

The FABULOUS Marie Winter! She was a brilliant character and I was also quite sad that we didn't get the chance to see her again during the Blackmoor episodes. I loved that she was pure evil, and thought of nobody but herself.

Actress Maggie Millar is of course nothing like the character she played, but having met her a number of times, the Marie cackle is still there - and very surreal to hear for real!