Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The Rec Room - Series Debate (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Who is your favourite villain? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/rec-room-series-debate/4690-who-your-favourite-villain.html)

Scott@OnTheInside 16th February 2011 07:08 PM

Who is your favourite villain?

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts about their favourite villain from the series - screw, inmate or other!

I'm putting together a piece for the forthcoming Prisoner book and am really interested in hearing your feelings on the likes of Marie Winter, Bev Baker, Angel Adams, Jock Stewart etc.

What did you love to hate about these characters? Do you have a favourite scene of theirs?

For me I absolutely LOVED Marie Winter. Fantastically played by Maggie Millar, her helicopter escape has to be up there with one of Prisoner's finest moments!

mr 420 17th February 2011 10:50 AM

For me, no one even comes close to Ernest Craven. Not only was he evil, but he was seriously cool with it. No woman was safe with him around!

mr 420 17th February 2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott@OnTheInside (Post 128707)

For me I absolutely LOVED Marie Winter. Fantastically played by Maggie Millar, her helicopter escape has to be up there with one of Prisoner's finest moments!

That very scene is up in the clips section. One of my favourites too!

Scott@OnTheInside 18th February 2011 06:44 PM

You're so right about Craven, he was seriously scary but really well played I thought. I was also a little scared of Jock Stewart in my younger days too!

mr 420 19th February 2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott@OnTheInside (Post 129203)
You're so right about Craven, he was seriously scary but really well played I thought. I was also a little scared of Jock Stewart in my younger days too!

Nah, not me. Just reminded me of a Glaswegian uncle of mine. He (my uncle) even had the sideburns!

Lillyivimia 22nd February 2011 04:30 AM

Nola McKenzie made a superb villain. She was confident and had the brains and brawns to back that confidence up. I remember all too well watching her episodes when they were broadcast in my region and always being on the edge of my seat when Nola and Bea got into another confrontation. I really did worry that Bea may have bitten off more than she couild chew and that she would finally be toppled. Nola really was that oustanding as a villainj.

Another favourite of mine is Bev Baker. THe nature of her crimes elevated Bev to a higher level of fear and intimidartion without her even having to do or say anything ... but when she started playing her chilling games with the women, well, she became a very frightening force indeed. The only niggle for me with Bev is the fact that her storyline weas so protracted. She could have been so much better if she had been allowed to confront Myra in a genuine Top Dog battle. It might have been interesting to even see Bev win for a few episodes, with Myra in hospital after a savage attack or something.

Then, of course, there's Sonia Stevens. Another brilliantly realised villainess. Her cold demeanour and assured composure combined with her sharp intellect to rise her above the common herd. Her alliance with Joan against Bea made for interesting television.

mr 420 22nd February 2011 10:24 AM

There is a good Bev baker piece in the clips section.

Lillyivimia 22nd February 2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 130246)
There is a good Bev baker piece in the clips section.

Thanks for that --- I'll have a look for it.:cool:

Wilf 22nd February 2011 06:48 PM

Marie Winter has always been my favourite villain. Love her cocksure swagger and the fact that every time she comes to Wentworth, there's a riot! Her return in the Desmond years gave the show a much-needed kick up the arse. Was always very sorry we didn't see her again when Reet went to Blackmoor.

Scott@OnTheInside 22nd February 2011 07:26 PM

The FABULOUS Marie Winter! She was a brilliant character and I was also quite sad that we didn't get the chance to see her again during the Blackmoor episodes. I loved that she was pure evil, and thought of nobody but herself.

Actress Maggie Millar is of course nothing like the character she played, but having met her a number of times, the Marie cackle is still there - and very surreal to hear for real!

Almar@Cult Labs 22nd February 2011 07:38 PM

You know what you guys should do is set up a poll sometime and do a vote? It's easy to do!

prisonerjohn 25th February 2011 01:03 PM

Marie Winter was one of the show's best villains. She was tough, she was violent, she was a blackmailer, she had a long list of enemies, she was involved in two very exciting riots, she had some brilliant lines of dialogue and probably the most memorable exit in the history of Prisoner.

One of her scenes that continues to stick in my mind is when she pushes Reb Kean over the bannister of the solitary stair case during episode 466.

Top Dog 6th March 2011 07:51 PM

My favorite villain was Nola Mckenzie and was hoping she was going to stay around a bit longer than 6 months. The series went downhill for a while after Carole Skinner who played Nola left.

I can't wait for all the Nola episodes to be released on DVD..... could be waiting a while though! Any ideas what volume number Nola would appear?

prisonerjohn 6th March 2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Dog (Post 133531)
Any ideas what volume number Nola would appear?

Guessing merely by format of the releases so far, Nola will probably appear in volumes 11 and 12 of the UK release (episodes 321-352 and 353-384). Folks, please correct me if I'm wrong.

mr 420 7th March 2011 10:00 AM

Nola's exit from the show will always stay with me. I must of first seen it at least 15 years ago and I've never forgotten it. It is one of those scenes that you have to see to believe!(Sorry, no spoilers folks).

haz1987 7th March 2011 11:00 PM

:tongue1:deffo joan ferguson she was just plain evil well almost

mr 420 8th March 2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haz1987 (Post 133825)
:tongue1:deffo joan ferguson she was just plain evil well almost

Poor old Joan was just misunderstood.:)

Vinegarfreak 10th March 2011 03:39 PM

Nola McKenzie without a doubt, will never get over what she did to poor Paddy!

Phantom_Lagger 11th March 2011 06:58 AM

Bea and Joan ARE Prisoner!

jlenoconel 7th April 2011 05:22 AM

There were so many good villains...

including Joan, Len, Reb, Lou, Ruth, Nola, and many others. Most people know who the best villains were and without them Prisoner wouldn't be what it was. Loved them ALL!

Scott@OnTheInside 8th April 2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinegarfreak (Post 134508)
Nola McKenzie without a doubt, will never get over what she did to poor Paddy!

That's one of my most memorable scenes actually, I remember being genuinely shocked and upset at how Paddy left the series. Well done to Carole Skinner for playing such a nasty piece of work!

roberto 8th April 2011 07:31 PM

reb,nolaand lou kelly, all great baddies

mr 420 6th May 2011 11:11 AM

I had forgotten just how bad Jock Stewart was and it wasn't until I revisited the scenes of him 'pimping' Judy that I remembered how slimy he really was. A great character IMO.

adamthehorrorfan 2nd June 2011 12:57 AM

the joker in The Dark Knight and agent smith in The Matrix.

mr 420 2nd June 2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamthehorrorfan (Post 155094)
the joker in The Dark Knight and agent smith in The Matrix.

Eh?:confused:

adamthehorrorfan 2nd June 2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 155150)
Eh?:confused:

I was only stating my favourite movie villains.

adamthehorrorfan 2nd June 2011 11:42 AM

the joker in The Dark Knight and agent smith in The Matrix are my favourite movie villains.

InDogWeTrust 3rd June 2011 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamthehorrorfan (Post 155188)
the joker in The Dark Knight and agent smith in The Matrix are my favourite movie villains.

Hahaha, This dude doesn't get this is a Prisoner Cell Block H thread!
:lol:

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd June 2011 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamthehorrorfan (Post 155187)
I was only stating my favourite movie villains.

Yeah, Adam, this part of the site is the Official Prisoner: Cell Block H forum. If you have a look around other parts, or do a search, you'll find suitable threads. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark 5th June 2011 03:01 PM

Ruth Ballinger then Lou Kelly.

MaurizioAntoni1 10th January 2012 03:09 PM

Favourite PCBH Villian

My favourite has gotta be Margo Gaffney, she was such a good character and was so heartless starting from episode 199

badstrawberry 21st July 2012 12:00 AM

How could you pick just one...

...there were so many great villains throughout Prisoner - and I reckon it is a huge part of the show that we all love - the quality, variety and frequency of the villains.

Most of you have already mentioned some of my faves, like Jock Stewart, Marie Winter, Nola Mackenzie, Bev Baker, Angel Adams and Sonia Stevens - and they were all fantastic characters.

To those I would add Neil Murray, David Bridges and Dr Kate Peterson - I especially loved seeing the rise, fall, and eventual jump-off-the-deep-end of Kate.

jamie_leigh44 14th October 2012 05:56 PM

Just watched the Bev baker Episodes and I'm disappointed she was only among for such a limited stretch... i know it would have been hard to keep here in there for long, but a while longer would have been good... I've only just met Angel too, and so far I'm enjoying the deviousness....

Marie cracks me up the same way Margo does... they are both hard crims but they can never get it right and end up failing but i love em! i wish Nola had been in the show during a more exciting era... my least fave era so far is the Maxine Daniels years, i think the character of Nola would have been even better a little later on. she was truly a fantastic villain tho.

Jock was disgustingly good in that role... perfectly cast and in it just long enough. made quite a splash. Neil Murray and David bridges had the potential to go further which would have been good, but it was all wrapped up too suddenly (especially bridges) for me.

Kate and Kay were both really fun characters too, and Sonia was pure class all the way.

i don't really see Joan as a villain as such...

I love em all... always gives much needed drama behind the bars! :woot:

JL

badstrawberry 14th October 2012 06:22 PM

Yeah I reckon they could have squeezed in at least one more kill from David Bridges before it got too unbelievable. But who would be his extra victim? I'm trying to think of a character form that period that I would have been happy to see go..... hmm... Mrs O'Reagan, maybe?

jamie_leigh44 14th October 2012 06:57 PM

I personally think that he should have killed Lizzie, her departure, not unlike Erica and Bea's was very weak after the hype. And i think a more dramatic departure would have been more elegant. i didn't even realise she'd left properly until i consulted wikipedia. a bit slow on the uptake. :blush:

JL

badstrawberry 15th October 2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamie_leigh44 (Post 281979)
I personally think that he should have killed Lizzie

JL

Wow, that feels like a controversial choice, seeing as Lizzie was so beloved to so many. BUT... it would certainly fit right, storywise anyway. I reckon that if there was even the slightest possibility of Sheila Florence returning in any capacity whatsoever, they would want the character of Lizze waiting for her to step back into.

From reading some of your other comments, JL, I think you aren't that far behind me - I have been re-watching them all from the beginning again and I am currently up to 530. There is nothing like escaping to a quiet room and spending some quality time with the ladies of Wentworth.

jamie_leigh44 15th October 2012 09:03 PM

Lol, controversial maybe, i loved Lizzie too, just a definite ending for someone seems better in my opinion, so many memorable people were just shipped on... Chrissie, Cass, Margo, Helen, Bea, and yes there was always the chance they could return which was good... but then people like Paddy Sharon Gilmour and Mouse will always be part of that prisoner legend because they died there. along with a few others like Leanne Burke, Barbara fields and Anne Yates etc etc.... when Lizzie left i didn't even notice for episodes later.

I would have loved to see Lizzie come back even short term but it was unlikely to happen. oh well.

yeah seems I'm right on your tail. I've been watching them as they've been released here in the UK since my cousin (Scottish mermaid) got my the first box set. its a bitch waiting months between some of the volumes and im now at the end of volume 15... 16 n 17 (November) will have to wait for me to get some money organized... I'm also not a great you tuber.

you're definitely right about escaping into a world of wentworth! :cool: - problem is once you start you cant stop, I've lost countless nights of sleep watching these disks straight thru, its one hell of an addiction! can't wait for the next set... in deep amongst the dance marathon (Bev is sadly gone too soon, but Angels doing a good job of stirring...) I'm really enjoying this era, and Bobbie and Marlene aren't really annoying me, unlike most people!

this is my first time watching the show, i saw the odd episode when i was younger but remember nothing except Joan ripping Maxine's posters off her wall and Maxine crying... 20 years later and i still enjoyed that scene... and I'm still not a fan of Maxine!

JL

badstrawberry 16th October 2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamie_leigh44 (Post 282451)
yeah seems I'm right on your tail. I've been watching them as they've been released here in the UK since my cousin (Scottish mermaid) got my the first box set. its a bitch waiting months between some of the volumes and im now at the end of volume 15... 16 n 17 (November) will have to wait for me to get some money organized... I'm also not a great you tuber.

you're definitely right about escaping into a world of wentworth! :cool: - problem is once you start you cant stop, I've lost countless nights of sleep watching these disks straight thru, its one hell of an addiction! can't wait for the next set... in deep amongst the dance marathon (Bev is sadly gone too soon, but Angels doing a good job of stirring...) I'm really enjoying this era, and Bobbie and Marlene aren't really annoying me, unlike most people!

this is my first time watching the show, i saw the odd episode when i was younger but remember nothing except Joan ripping Maxine's posters off her wall and Maxine crying... 20 years later and i still enjoyed that scene... and I'm still not a fan of Maxine!

JL

LOL, yes, it can eat into your time - although luckily I am self-employed and work from home, so I just stick them on in the background while I am working. I used to work for a national broadcaster in what they call "the Duty Office" answering calls and correspondence from viewers (sometimes about this very show), and everyone in the company had a TV on their desk - ever since then I find it really difficult to work if I dont have the TV or video on in the background.

If you enjoyed the Maxine, Freak and poster scene, you will see something similar crop up very soon - in the second half of the series lifespan there were a LOT of repeated or very similar storylines. And the scene to come which is similar to Maxine's poster ripping ALSO features a prisoner who is bloody irritating! (although I don't think Maxine was that annoying, I really liked her).

jamie_leigh44 16th October 2012 06:26 PM

:lol: well, to each their own with Maxine... i personally wasn't that bothered by Doooor but most people seem to hate her.

yes, there certainly seem to be a lot of repeated story arch's, i don't really mind it so much if they add something but the rip off of Karen and Greg with Scott and that prisoner was so boring, nothing really happened at all to warrant it.

I do love to "waste" my time in this show that ended like 30 years ago, lol, but nothing currant even compares to it. :cool: and at least you have the time to properly indulge, thats good times!

JL

ScottishMermaid 17th October 2012 08:01 PM

I think my favourite villain has to be Lou Kelly. There are so many to choose from, though! heehee. But oh god I loved her, hahaha.

The Lou Kelly riot was brilliant TV...

And yes...it DOES take over your life. I got fed up waiting for the DVDs to be released, so in June I decided that I couldn't wait any longer and resorted to watching on YouTube. Although not the same as watching on disc, it has been so good being able to watch every night...I finished the second half within just over a month...whereas it took me 3 years to watch the first half with the DVDs...LOL. Now I am watching from the start again and am in the 170s again...loving catching up with my old buddies...I would have said Vera was my fave villain but then I do not see her as a villain, I think she was just a lonely sweetie...LOL. Devious maybe, but villain?...nah!! lol. So yeah..now I cannot go to bed without having a prisoner session...even just one episode to curb the craving, LOL!!