Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > The Rec Room - Series Debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th April 2011, 02:15 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Highlights of Vol. 7

Got to admit that this batch of episodes was a little slower than I remembered, but nevertheless, there's some stunning stuff topping and tailing this collection. Bea's amnesia storyline is, of course, classic stuff, and the Terry Harrison story takes a deliciously evil twist when Kathy Hall gets released, culminating in a shocking exit for him and a poignant one for Vera. Fantastic stuff all round.

Having learned from this disc that the producers asked the cast to summarise their characters' experiences thus far when coming up with plotlines in this period, there are some shocking continuity lapses with regard to Erica's and (especially) Judy's backgrounds - Barbara is namechecked one minute but doesn't actually seem to be part of the family at all the next. And then there's the small matter of virgin mother Judy...

Still, thank God Lizzie and Sid are here to liven things up. These two are genuinely heartwarming, and Lizzie is always value for money. Sid's death is understated and beautiful.

Colleen Powell is really coming into her own, too.

We're not quite back up to the giddy heights of Volume 4 yet, but this is still a very worthwhile set of episodes.
Old 29th April 2011, 08:04 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've just this minute finished Vol 7 and I really enjoyed it, probably more than vols 5 and 6. The Terry Harrison storyline was pretty gripping stuff, as were the Bea Smith amnesia episodes. Val Lehman did an outstanding job of portraying Bea as she was before her incarceration. Really sad to see Vera go as well........now bring on The Freak!
Old 29th April 2011, 10:37 PM
Cultist in Training

i said i was going to pace myself until June... it's useless.. i'm halfway through already.. i'm on disc 5..
Old 30th April 2011, 02:35 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo View Post
i said i was going to pace myself until June... it's useless.. i'm halfway through already.. i'm on disc 5..
I've already got the shakes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6th May 2011, 11:31 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I've already got the shakes!

Is this the best vol yet then? I was going to get it at my local HMV, but the shysters wanted £40 for it and there was no way I was shelling out that sort of money. Some day soon though....
Old 6th May 2011, 01:34 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
Is this the best vol yet then? I was going to get it at my local HMV, but the shysters wanted £40 for it and there was no way I was shelling out that sort of money. Some day soon though....
I can't comment in Vols 1-4 as I haven't seen them, but 7 has been my favourite so far, probably because of the Bea amnesia storyline and the wonderful performane from Val Lehman.

Old 6th May 2011, 02:14 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I can't comment in Vols 1-4 as I haven't seen them, but 7 has been my favourite so far, probably because of the Bea amnesia storyline and the wonderful performane from Val Lehman.

That has whetted my appetite to see it even more. Strangley enough I had forgotten about the amnesia storyline.
Old 7th May 2011, 12:25 AM
Cultist in Training

i've finished volume 7 now too.. i couldn't help myself. the Bea/Mum/Barnhurst story was very good. also Kathy Hall. although it annoyed me that only Lizzie, Wendy and the gate guard seemed to be the only characters convincingly concerned over her murder.
Old 7th May 2011, 07:26 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Volume 8 can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned!
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:59 PM
Cultist in Training

just days to Volume 8 !!

Like this? Share it using the links below!