Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > The Rec Room - Series Debate
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th February 2011, 07:08 PM
Cultist in Training

Question Who is your favourite villain?

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts about their favourite villain from the series - screw, inmate or other!

I'm putting together a piece for the forthcoming Prisoner book and am really interested in hearing your feelings on the likes of Marie Winter, Bev Baker, Angel Adams, Jock Stewart etc.

What did you love to hate about these characters? Do you have a favourite scene of theirs?

For me I absolutely LOVED Marie Winter. Fantastically played by Maggie Millar, her helicopter escape has to be up there with one of Prisoner's finest moments!
TheUnknown likes this.
Old 17th February 2011, 10:50 AM
Cult Addict

For me, no one even comes close to Ernest Craven. Not only was he evil, but he was seriously cool with it. No woman was safe with him around!
Old 17th February 2011, 03:30 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@OnTheInside View Post

For me I absolutely LOVED Marie Winter. Fantastically played by Maggie Millar, her helicopter escape has to be up there with one of Prisoner's finest moments!
That very scene is up in the clips section. One of my favourites too!
Old 18th February 2011, 06:44 PM
Cultist in Training

You're so right about Craven, he was seriously scary but really well played I thought. I was also a little scared of Jock Stewart in my younger days too!
Old 19th February 2011, 11:36 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@OnTheInside View Post
You're so right about Craven, he was seriously scary but really well played I thought. I was also a little scared of Jock Stewart in my younger days too!
Nah, not me. Just reminded me of a Glaswegian uncle of mine. He (my uncle) even had the sideburns!
Old 22nd February 2011, 04:30 AM
Cult Rookie

Smile

Nola McKenzie made a superb villain. She was confident and had the brains and brawns to back that confidence up. I remember all too well watching her episodes when they were broadcast in my region and always being on the edge of my seat when Nola and Bea got into another confrontation. I really did worry that Bea may have bitten off more than she couild chew and that she would finally be toppled. Nola really was that oustanding as a villainj.

Another favourite of mine is Bev Baker. THe nature of her crimes elevated Bev to a higher level of fear and intimidartion without her even having to do or say anything ... but when she started playing her chilling games with the women, well, she became a very frightening force indeed. The only niggle for me with Bev is the fact that her storyline weas so protracted. She could have been so much better if she had been allowed to confront Myra in a genuine Top Dog battle. It might have been interesting to even see Bev win for a few episodes, with Myra in hospital after a savage attack or something.

Then, of course, there's Sonia Stevens. Another brilliantly realised villainess. Her cold demeanour and assured composure combined with her sharp intellect to rise her above the common herd. Her alliance with Joan against Bea made for interesting television.
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:24 AM
Cult Addict

There is a good Bev baker piece in the clips section.
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:57 AM
Cult Rookie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
There is a good Bev baker piece in the clips section.
Thanks for that --- I'll have a look for it.
Old 22nd February 2011, 06:48 PM
Cult Rookie

Marie Winter has always been my favourite villain. Love her cocksure swagger and the fact that every time she comes to Wentworth, there's a riot! Her return in the Desmond years gave the show a much-needed kick up the arse. Was always very sorry we didn't see her again when Reet went to Blackmoor.
Old 22nd February 2011, 07:26 PM
Cultist in Training

The FABULOUS Marie Winter! She was a brilliant character and I was also quite sad that we didn't get the chance to see her again during the Blackmoor episodes. I loved that she was pure evil, and thought of nobody but herself.

Actress Maggie Millar is of course nothing like the character she played, but having met her a number of times, the Marie cackle is still there - and very surreal to hear for real!

Like this? Share it using the links below!