Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28505Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th February 2014, 01:20 PM
Cult Master

Doctor Who: The Moonbase | DVD Review | Television @ The Digital Fix

Series 7
Video 8
Audio 7
Extras 4
Gothmogxx likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 24th February 2014, 03:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
I always liked The Moonbase. The two existing episodes give it good representation and the animation is always appreciated, even if I prefer the style of animation for The Ice Warriors.

Having seen (or listened too) the vast majority of his episodes, I always tended to favour season 5 Troughton the best, even before the recent recoveries.
Old 26th February 2014, 12:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
I'm out of breath... The Web of Fear was outstanding.

Of course I've seen episode 1 many times before but it never tires, especially based on the fact that I knew it wouldn't end after the credits

Watching episode 2 and beyond felt so wrong... It was the story I wanted back the most.

Okay if you want a brief review here goes (NO CRUCIAL SPOILERS): Episode 2 speeds along and you don't even notice Troughton's absence (he was on holiday). Highlights include the shoot-out in the tunnels between the soldiers and the Yeti and the scene where Travers reunites with Jamie and Victoria.

Episode 3 was admittedly a chore to watch based on the fact that is still missing. The fact we still can't see the Brigadier's first appearance is frustrating. But if you can stomach recons, its pretty good, based on recon standards.

Episode 4 was the one which I wanted back out of all the missing episodes. It didn't disappoint. The battle in Convent Gardens between the Yeti and the soldiers is outstanding. The Yeti are quite brutal. Douglas Camfields direction helps. I also thought the scene where the Yeti attack in the shop was nicely done, same with when the trolley is pushed into the web. I can't help imagining if this episode was the one they couldn't find out of the batch...

Episode 5 is more constrained than the previous one in terms of action but the story keeps going well. The part where Troughton is giggling over a Yeti sphere is priceless.

Episode 6 concludes it perfectly. There is a "who done it" kind of thing going on throughout the story regarding one of the cast and although I knew who it was having seen the re-con last year, it's kind of obvious anyway. Won't give it away though, see it yourselves. The last scene with the intelligence is also quite tense...

Theres my take. 10/10. The lack of extras is somewhat irritating (not even a commentary) and the absence of episode 3 hurts but i'm just greatful we have what we have.

Heres to a good outcome regarding the Omnirumour and more returns! With The Web of Fear back mostly, I would now like some season 4 Troughton. Ignoring The Smugglers and The Tenth Planet, there are another 35 Troughton episodes in it. only 7 out of 35 exist. Having something like The Power of the Daleks or The Macra Terror in existence would make it look better...
Great review, Goth. I've just finished watching this myself and thought it was tremendous.

Part 4 is a particular highlight, but there were many more standout moments ( which I won't spoil ) and the whole story is peppered with some chilling deaths.

Great to see Nick Courtney in his debut. What struck me is how he absolutely nails the character from the word go. Fantastic to have two new Troughton's recovered. It's easily one of my favourite periods of Who. More please!
Old 26th February 2014, 01:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
. Fantastic to have two new Troughton's recovered. It's easily one of my favourite periods of Who. More please!
I think i'm one of the few that thought the Enemy of the World was boring.

I watched it weekly as it was first broadcast and was extremely disappointed. It just wasn't Doctor Who. Did the producers find a spare script for The Avengers in a bin or something?

Troughton may have been very good as Salamander but the Doctor was barely in it. Victoria and Jamie also seemed to go missing for huge swathes of it.
Old 26th February 2014, 03:49 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
I'm out of breath... The Web of Fear was outstanding.

Episode 3 was admittedly a chore to watch based on the fact that is still missing. The fact we still can't see the Brigadier's first appearance is frustrating. But if you can stomach recons, its pretty good, based on recon standards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Great to see Nick Courtney in his debut. What struck me is how he absolutely nails the character from the word go.
Ironically, the first appearance of The Colonel/Brigadier is NOT Nicholas Courtney

The scene which introduces the character - a close-up of his feet walking along a tunnel - actually featured an uncredited Maurice Brooks playing the part!

Old 26th February 2014, 06:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Two teachers from Coal Hill School as companions? Deja vu it's season 1 and 2 Hartnell all over again! I only hope that if he and clara hook up he doesn't recycle the Ponds...Doctor Who: new series 8 regular announced | Den of Geek
Old 26th February 2014, 06:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Two teachers from Coal Hill School as companions? Deja vu it's season 1 and 2 Hartnell all over again! I only hope that if he and clara hook up he doesn't recycle the Ponds...Doctor Who: new series 8 regular announced | Den of Geek
This was announced on Monday wasn't it?

Return of the tin dog?
Old 26th February 2014, 07:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Some may find this useful.

Doctor Who DVDs - The Complete List - Classic DVDs, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th Doctor DVDs
Old 26th February 2014, 08:08 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I ended up with a screen full of green ticks!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 26th February 2014, 10:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
I ended up with a screen full of green ticks!
The only ones i need to pick up are Doctor Who and the Cybermen, Terror of the Zygons and The Mind of Evil.

I'm not too bothered about Shada and Scream of the Shalka.

Like this? Share it using the links below!