Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   Blade Runner - Is It Overrated (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/10247-blade-runner-overrated.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th October 2017 11:55 AM

Is it correct that Harrison Ford isn't in the new film much? I'm sure i've read that.

I wonder if that's putting off audiences. After all he is Blade Runner not Ryan Gosling. Ford is doing a lot of promo work alongside Gosling (at least in the UK he is).

trebor8273 11th October 2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 553954)
Is it correct that Harrison Ford isn't in the new film much? I'm sure i've read that.

I wonder if that's putting off audiences. After all he is Blade Runner not Ryan Gosling. Ford is doing a lot of promo work alongside Gosling (at least in the UK he is).

he's not 30 minutes at most and its probably more like 20.

whats putting people off is its not knowing to joe public, when i went people commented how boring it was AND they would not bother with the first movie, heard other people say the same, we all know it on here but had the feeling for years its not as well knowing as you would think, amazed how many people i know who had never heard of the first.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th October 2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 553955)
he's not 30 minutes at most and its probably more like 20.

whats putting people off is its not knowing to joe public, when i went people commented how boring it was AND they would not bother with the first movie, heard other people say the same, we all know it on here but had the feeling for years its not as well knowing as you would think, amazed how many people i know who had never heard of the first.

Blade Runner is very much a cult film that gained it's reputation over many years through the love of it's film makers. It's had some tremendous disc releases - i presume you have the attache case with the models and such like, Treb - but yes i agree that the general public perhaps hasn't much clue about it other than of it's existence and it being a sc-fi film starring Harrison Ford that wasn't Star Wars.

SymbioticFunction 11th October 2017 12:58 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waBWUyWuZk8

Found the 2049 soundtrack on youtube. It seems a bit indifferent to me although I obviously should try experiencing it when it accompanies the actual film. I think that my expectations were quite high as I think that the original film's Vangelis score is fantastic.

Justin101 11th October 2017 01:34 PM

I thought the soundtrack was outstanding but that might have had a lot to do the the Dolby Atmos on full blast in the Odeon, you could feel the bass rumbles.

However, they missed a trick by not using the themes from 'End Title' and 'Rachel's Song' which are two of the most famous bits of music from the original. Although I think I heard little hints from the Main Theme at the beginning.

SymbioticFunction 11th October 2017 02:06 PM

I should mention that I very much like the music at 18 mins 10 secs (which is reminiscent of the original score).

SilverSurfer 11th October 2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 553970)
I thought the soundtrack was outstanding but that might have had a lot to do the the Dolby Atmos on full blast in the Odeon, you could feel the bass rumbles.

There were shades of The Terminator music in there I thought......

BOOM!! BOOM!! BOOM!!

anthony_burtwistle 17th October 2017 04:09 PM

Overrated? Yes and no I think.

It is basically a film noir with robots. BUT that soundtrack, cinematography and mood elevate it somewhat.

Still haven't seen the new one - spoiler free thoughts anyone?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th October 2017 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthony_burtwistle (Post 554733)
Overrated? Yes and no I think.

It is basically a film noir with robots. BUT that soundtrack, cinematography and mood elevate it somewhat.

Still haven't seen the new one - spoiler free thoughts anyone?

I hoped it would be good, but was prepared to be disappointed. I needn't have worried as it is a superb piece of filmmaking and, though I'll need another two or three viewings to confirm this, suspect it will be the equal of Ridley Scott's sci-fi masterpiece.

It is a real experience, with amazing visuals and sound, so you should see it at the cinema (on the biggest screen you can) if possible.

gag 17th October 2017 08:50 PM

I couldn't get into the original I'll have to give it a rewatch , but do you have to watch the original to see this, or does it not matter because I still fancy going to see it on big screen with everyone saying it a must watch on the big screen.