Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   Blade Runner - Is It Overrated (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/10247-blade-runner-overrated.html)

platostotal 31st December 2012 04:17 PM

Saw it on first release in the cinema, loved it then. The Blu ray was one my first on Blu, but it does have an A-B-C feel to it(Ford picking off the replicants one by one until he gets to Hauer) and not much chemistry between Ford and Young, but Christ, what a looker(soundtrack's no slouch either) but is it over rated? Probably, but not bad For a flop.

Hawkmonger 1st January 2013 06:04 PM

I agree it's overrated but only marginaly so, it's still a damn good movie. It, like The Dark Knight, has been romantisised to death and is now only really a shadow of how great it could have been if obscurity had consumed it. ****ing mainstream.

harryd 1st January 2013 06:18 PM

First time I saw it I loved it, second time I enjoyed it but not quite as much...think the first time thought I watched the workprint version? Remember quite a few differences. Either way I still think it's a classic. Far better than Alien though - that really did bore me

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st January 2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 307744)
I agree it's overrated but only marginaly so, it's still a damn good movie. It, like The Dark Knight, has been romantisised to death and is now only really a shadow of how great it could have been if obscurity had consumed it. ****ing mainstream.

This doesn't make sense.

Are you saying it would be a better film if it had remained an obscurity? Does the fact it has gained in popularity over the years make you think it also becomes a worse film?

Its the same film if only one person likes it or the entire population likes it.

How odd!

Invid Ninja 1st January 2013 06:24 PM

It is my personal favourite film, from my perspective everyone who has stated it as overrated has never elaborated as to why in any meaningful manner. It is my favourite film for many of the same reasons as others who have waxed lyrical. I find it be science fiction at it's most thought provoking and emotionally powerful; one of the last of it's kind. From a design perspective I find it to be immaculate and has been consistently borrowed from for many years since and I'm sure many more in the future. The cast is fully well rounded, establishing their characters with more layers and resonance than most films of much longer length can manage.

I believe it to be the perfect film, and it will probably remain that way for me.

pedromonkey 1st January 2013 06:38 PM

I've seen it a few times in all it's different guises and even though i'm not a huge fan, i still think it's a prime example of first rate film making the likes of which we will never see again. Everything from the costumes, the sets, vehicles and props to the insanely awesome matte paintings. From a technical point of view it's a wonderful film, from a narrative point of view...t'is a bit boring.

Hawkmonger 1st January 2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 307751)
This doesn't make sense.

Are you saying it would be a better film if it had remained an obscurity? Does the fact it has gained in popularity over the years make you think it also becomes a worse film?

Its the same film if only one person likes it or the entire population likes it.

How odd!

I feel that the fact it's become so widely considered 'the best film of all time' it feel's like it's lost alot of it charm for me. Fatiege I guess.

Gojirosan 1st January 2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 307754)
It is my personal favourite film, from my perspective everyone who has stated it as overrated has never elaborated as to why in any meaningful manner. It is my favourite film for many of the same reasons as others who have waxed lyrical. I find it be science fiction at it's most thought provoking and emotionally powerful; one of the last of it's kind. From a design perspective I find it to be immaculate and has been consistently borrowed from for many years since and I'm sure many more in the future. The cast is fully well rounded, establishing their characters with more layers and resonance than most films of much longer length can manage.

I believe it to be the perfect film, and it will probably remain that way for me.

For me, it so, so, SO boring! It doesn't grip me, it meanders, the plotting is confused (at least in the two versions I have seen), Harrison Ford is wooden and annoying (as usual). It looks pretty, but is hollow and empty (not unlike Prometheus, though it is vastly better than Prometheus!) with nothing that I felt I could latch onto.

Those are the main reasons I feel it is over-rated - not bad, but over-rated.

Baseball Fury 1st January 2013 07:03 PM

It's about as over-rated as breathing.

tele1962 1st January 2013 07:42 PM

Got to say i did not like it at all on the first viewing, but over time i have learned to love the film. It's up there with Close Encounters ( Blade Runner is not as good mind), 2001 & Alien. Aliens.