Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Is Blade Runner overrated?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Is Blade Runner overrated?

Like Tree107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st December 2012, 05:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Saw it on first release in the cinema, loved it then. The Blu ray was one my first on Blu, but it does have an A-B-C feel to it(Ford picking off the replicants one by one until he gets to Hauer) and not much chemistry between Ford and Young, but Christ, what a looker(soundtrack's no slouch either) but is it over rated? Probably, but not bad For a flop.
Old 1st January 2013, 07:04 PM
Cult Addict

I agree it's overrated but only marginaly so, it's still a damn good movie. It, like The Dark Knight, has been romantisised to death and is now only really a shadow of how great it could have been if obscurity had consumed it. ****ing mainstream.
Old 1st January 2013, 07:18 PM
Cultist

First time I saw it I loved it, second time I enjoyed it but not quite as much...think the first time thought I watched the workprint version? Remember quite a few differences. Either way I still think it's a classic. Far better than Alien though - that really did bore me
Old 1st January 2013, 07:19 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
I agree it's overrated but only marginaly so, it's still a damn good movie. It, like The Dark Knight, has been romantisised to death and is now only really a shadow of how great it could have been if obscurity had consumed it. ****ing mainstream.
This doesn't make sense.

Are you saying it would be a better film if it had remained an obscurity? Does the fact it has gained in popularity over the years make you think it also becomes a worse film?

Its the same film if only one person likes it or the entire population likes it.

How odd!
Baseball Fury likes this.
Old 1st January 2013, 07:24 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

It is my personal favourite film, from my perspective everyone who has stated it as overrated has never elaborated as to why in any meaningful manner. It is my favourite film for many of the same reasons as others who have waxed lyrical. I find it be science fiction at it's most thought provoking and emotionally powerful; one of the last of it's kind. From a design perspective I find it to be immaculate and has been consistently borrowed from for many years since and I'm sure many more in the future. The cast is fully well rounded, establishing their characters with more layers and resonance than most films of much longer length can manage.

I believe it to be the perfect film, and it will probably remain that way for me.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 1st January 2013, 07:38 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I've seen it a few times in all it's different guises and even though i'm not a huge fan, i still think it's a prime example of first rate film making the likes of which we will never see again. Everything from the costumes, the sets, vehicles and props to the insanely awesome matte paintings. From a technical point of view it's a wonderful film, from a narrative point of view...t'is a bit boring.
Gojirosan likes this.
Old 1st January 2013, 07:48 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
This doesn't make sense.

Are you saying it would be a better film if it had remained an obscurity? Does the fact it has gained in popularity over the years make you think it also becomes a worse film?

Its the same film if only one person likes it or the entire population likes it.

How odd!
I feel that the fact it's become so widely considered 'the best film of all time' it feel's like it's lost alot of it charm for me. Fatiege I guess.
Old 1st January 2013, 07:54 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid Ninja View Post
It is my personal favourite film, from my perspective everyone who has stated it as overrated has never elaborated as to why in any meaningful manner. It is my favourite film for many of the same reasons as others who have waxed lyrical. I find it be science fiction at it's most thought provoking and emotionally powerful; one of the last of it's kind. From a design perspective I find it to be immaculate and has been consistently borrowed from for many years since and I'm sure many more in the future. The cast is fully well rounded, establishing their characters with more layers and resonance than most films of much longer length can manage.

I believe it to be the perfect film, and it will probably remain that way for me.

For me, it so, so, SO boring! It doesn't grip me, it meanders, the plotting is confused (at least in the two versions I have seen), Harrison Ford is wooden and annoying (as usual). It looks pretty, but is hollow and empty (not unlike Prometheus, though it is vastly better than Prometheus!) with nothing that I felt I could latch onto.

Those are the main reasons I feel it is over-rated - not bad, but over-rated.
Old 1st January 2013, 08:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It's about as over-rated as breathing.
Rik, Hawkmonger and profondo rosso like this.
Old 1st January 2013, 08:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Got to say i did not like it at all on the first viewing, but over time i have learned to love the film. It's up there with Close Encounters ( Blade Runner is not as good mind), 2001 & Alien. Aliens.

Like this? Share it using the links below!